Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2015
Country
UK
State
Lancashire
Hello everyone, Hope that everyone is OK and coping. I am recently diagnosed as having Fibromyalgia/Sjogren's syndrome/osteoarthritis ( in my hands mainly ). I am 58 years old and have been suffering for the past 20 years. At the age of 38, I began suffering muscle spasms, aches and pains and was diagnosed as Pre-menopausal. I accepted that this was probably true, then at 46 I was diagnosed as definitely into the " Change " with blood tests. My last period was in July, 5 years ago, so when I complained to my GP that I was still feeling bad, and that it seemed to be getting worse, she gave me more antidepressants ( I'd been given them every time I'd visited previously ), and told me it was my age. I also tried a variety of different HRT treatments which helped but they didn't suit me.
Then in November, after my Sister had been diagnosed with Fibro and Sjogren's, I found myself under the care of another Doctor, who referred me immediately to Rheumatology, took some bloods just to check it wasn't anything else, and when I saw the consultant, I was diagnosed immediately. I am very angry that I wasn't diagnosed long ago, when I first said I suspected Fibro - the Doctors just didn't take it seriously, put it all down to depression and anxiety, and I felt like I was going crazy! Now, I have refused all drug treatments or further therapies, because I don't want to be at the hospital all the time. I have coped with this for 20 years, so I will just try muddling through. I am taking vitamin D supplements and also Magnesium supplements, as I have read they may help, I've stopped smoking, and I have developed a bad reaction to alcohol, so I don't bother with that now. In the past 20 years, I have also developed food intolerances ( which should have told the Doctors there was something wrong ), so I cannot have caffeine or dairy products.

This diagnosis has knocked me sideways, but I am glad at least I know what is wrong, and I'm not going mad. It is now my intention to research Fibro on the internet and try to find a way through this. :grin:

welcome Wendy.
You found the right place
To find answers. Please read
As many posts you can.
You will find answers and folks
To talk to that dont think your crazy!
You will go thru many doctors before
You find one that you can
Work with. Doctors don't do
Research. You do the research.
Remember you are in control and
Not the doctor!
Make decisions based on what you know
Not what a doctor is guessing at.
Stay well! Ask questions and give answers
To others so they can learn from
You as well.

Hi Wendy! Welcome!

I hope you find useful information here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back