DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2012
Country
CA
State
ON
Hi,

I am a 23 (almost 24) yr old female. I started having symptoms after spending my summer slaving on a lettuce farm. I developed the 'flu' and have never been able to be 'normal' since. I have been tested for everything under the sun and I walked into my GP's office one day and he said I have fibro and that contrary to what other people might say, it is a very real thing. Problem is is that he is a 3hr drive away and as I continue to get worse I just can't make it there to see him and my parents refuse to drive me more than twice a year. I don't want to switch doctors as he believes in fibro and that is very hard to find. So I am stuck. I would like a referral to a rheumatologist but he sent me to a neurologist who spent five minutes with me and promptly told my mother " she is hefty and lazy, and needs a swift kick in the pants. You need to make her life miserable enough that she doesn't want to sit around." My mother was appalled.

So... sorry to make this so long. But basically I can't work, can't finish university (1 course left to graduate) and I keep getting worse. I like reading the forums because it sounds sooo much like me that it is comforting to know that I am not alone.

I probably should have posted this in the general discussion but oh well... I will put another post with some questions there later. Tooo tired right now I think.

Look forward to discussing life with everybody!

The Dr problems are common. You will read post after post from other people having similar issues with American medical care. Get a hard copy of your doctors diagnosis of fibro. Any other Dr's office you go to bring it with you and demand care for you diagnosed condition. Period. If you meet resistance, go to another Dr. God only knows how many Dr's I have seen in over the past decade. Be kind to yourself and know your not alone going thru this.

Hi whitea! Welcome to the forum!

It is nice to have a place where you do not feel alone.

I am sorry your new doctor said that to your mom that is so awful! Maybe google pain management in your area to find an understanding doctor who is familiar with Fibro and will take you seriously.

I hope this forum helps and you find a much better doctor who is nearby.

Welcome. I. So glad I don't live in the usa. It's sounds a nightmare for ppl with fibro.but don't give in and don't put up with nasty things being said to u. As pp said get a copy from your Dr and then look for a new one .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back