Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2013
Country
US
State
Ca
I am an executive and required to travel and attend high profile meetings. Does anyone have advice on how to keep engery level up? I am keepig the Fibro a secret from employers. Also, when I travel its very hard to carry purse/messenger bag/ipad. Shoulders, neck arms, etc ache > any advice? Takes days to recover. I take Tramadol. Anybody know anything that might work? I also have sciatica. Am pretty miserable. I was a high energy type A, loved high intensity exercise. Can't do either.
Would love to connect with the forum.

Minna

Hi Minna, I don't know how you do it...bless your heart....I am on tramadol also, 3 x a day....it helps...but still deal with fatigue and various muscle aches depending on if I overdo it (which can be a simple as reaching for something sometimes).

As far as traveling, I would definitely get a carrier of some sort to put all of your things on to roll behind you...maybe just a luggage carrier....when I was working, I had blueprints to bring down to various agencies for permit. I found a three wheel rolling tote with a bag attached to it at BJ's wholesale club that worked like a charm...it also went up and down stairs in parking garages, etc. It was a lifesaver so as not to be carrying/toting weight on your body.

I also take advil with my tramadol which adds a second layer of pain relief. Thermacare patches are your friend! I have sat in many meetings with those heat wraps stuck on whatever body part was giving me trouble....the heat lasts all day and definitely helps loosen up "crampy" areas on your body.

To keep your energy up, keep hydrated and pack protein bars, nuts, fruit in your bag to munch on every few hours...I find sticking with more fresh veggies, lean proteins and laying off the breads (which I love), pizza and sugars helps keep your energy level more steady. I've been on protein smoothies with fruit in the mornings for the past few weeks and I notice a difference in how I feel.

Sciatica! That is a four letter word in my book. I lost my "dream" job back in 2009 due to a miserable bout of painful sciatica. Don't be embarrassed to bring a chair cushion with you to your meetings...I sometimes just stood up and leaned against a wall during meetings (of course, I was in a construction meeting so a less formal setting) because it felt better. I also used ice packs every day at work for the sciatica on my chair. Didn't care about how I looked; just wanted to keep my job.

Hope this helps and look forward to chatting again soon.

Welcome to the forum. I can only add that meditation and pure aspirin help me.

I understand completely. I work 6 days a week usually and deal face to face with our clients. No one wants to buy from someone who looks ill or acts sick. Unfortunate fact that I have discovered through this fibro journey. I take pain med when needed, refuse to take the psych meds or steriods. Eat extremely clean/well (no meat, no sugar (simplified carbohydrates), very little dairy, alot of beans, grains, vegi's. kicking coffee (again). Fascia stretching in morning (this is a must *stretch to win* is a great book) and if im able some strength exercises done at home . Hot showers usually 2x a day now since the weather is so OMG cold. Mindfulness meditation for chronic pain (you tube it). I cannot stress how effective the mindfulness is, definitely takes the edge off when my body is screaming. Im very sensitive to medications and have no alternative but to go the holistic route. My liver cannot handle (most compromised immune systems) pills. Ive had too many weirdo side effects to last me a lifetime. My quality of life is not what it use to be but that is part of the journey I guess. Everyones story is different, find what fits for you.

Hi Minna,

First of all, gentle hugs! Sounds like you have a very stressful life.

Tramadol did not help me at all. I did take gabapentin (500 mg at night) and that really helped me to sleep well and wake up refreshed with no pain. It was amazing but I found out I was allergic to it and had to stop taking it. I had to have my wits about me during the day so I could not take anything during my waking hours.

I found that massage and chiropractic visits helped me a lot. I also meditate a few times during the day to release stress. If there is an East meets West clinic near you, I would go for a consultation.

As far as carrying things like your purse etc. Have you thought of using a cart with a handle or a bin with one? I use one and it is so nice. I only carry a small clutch instead of a purse. It was hard to get use to it but I finally have.

Best to you. It sounds like you have a busy, busy life. Please find time to take care of yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back