Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
Manchester
Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with ME/CFS in 2011. (After having symptoms for at least 25 years.) I am now wondering if I have Fibromyalgia as I suffer with frequent pain in my leg, thigh, knee, wrist, neck and shoulders. I wake up with the pain at night. I also have all the other symptoms of Fibro.

What is the difference between ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia as I am aware that pain is a symptom of ME/CFS? I know that I need to see my GP in order to get a diagnosis but have joined this forum in order to get some more info on Fibromyalgia. Any advice/info would be much appreciated.

Welcome. As far as I can tell at the moment they use the pressure point test.there are 18 places as I recall and u need I think about 11.now if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will put me right.
I never did have them but my dr still told me I had Fibro .and my Nero did to.cfs I beilive is just that your tired all the time. But I don't beilive u have the pain.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have looked at the areas where they test for Fibromyalgia and I do have sore points in those areas. i must correct you regarding ME/CFS, it is definitely more than 'just feeling tired all the time'. ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia have the same symptoms from what I have gathered. I am curious as to why they are seen as different conditions.

I will see my GP and ask if I can be tested for Fibromayalgia although like ME/CFS there doesn't seem to be a definitive treatment for either condition.

Lol sorry when I put just tired I didn't mean your just normal tired . I can see it comes across that way hehe my bad.

When I got diagnosed this spring, no one did a pressure point test on me. I asked my doctor about it, and she said the tender point exam is not really used now. I guess in 2010 they changed the diagnosis criteria to move away from tender points.

There is a lot of overlap between CFS symptoms and fibromyalgia symptoms. Some people claim they are variations of the same syndrome. But I have also found a scientific literature review discussing how they are different : "Is chronic fatigue syndrome the same illness as fibromyalgia: evaluating the ‘single syndrome’ hypothesis" by Abbi and Natelson. You can find the full text on the Internet if you are interested.

Thanks for your replies. I will take a look at the text you mention. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back