Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
US
State
NC
36yo male. I've been in pain since 12/18/2014. I know the exact day my life changed.

Finally, after 9+ months of endless doctors and tireless irradiation of my body, I was given a Fibro diagnosis. At first, I really didn't want to accept it; I wanted a diagnosis that included a known fix. After a lot of research, I've finally accepted that the diagnosis fits everything I've experienced.

The hardest part for me right now isn't the pain, it's the questions of what the future holds for me and my family (married with 2 daughters). I am the sole income provider and have been for basically the entire duration of our 18 year marriage. I like the role and have been successful at it, holding a very good job with a fast growing company. I'm already struggling at work; missing time for appointments and for high pain days, and have difficulty with memory, concentration and such. I'm really concerned about my ability to continue at a high level in a stressful environment.

Anyway, I'm here. I hurt everywhere. Get used to it.

Hi I have had fibro for about 7/8 years. I can understand your concerns and it must be hard being so young with this diagnosis and the sole provider for your family. It is natural to be concerned about the future.

Have you told your employer? Maybe it would be best to be honest and they could make adjustments to your work load or type of work to make it easier for you to continue.

We have laws/guidlines in the UK about this kind of thing as employers are duty bound to try and help....I don't know about the US.

Hard as it may be to accept your health must come first...perhaps over ambition. This is a bit brutal for us all to accept and causes us to the grieve for the old capable...ambitious selves.

Only you can judge how you are but you don't want to push yourself so hard that you burn out and end up iller. I say this out of care not to upset you when you are still coming to terms with things.

Could you talk it over with your wife in the coming weeks /months. In the future could she work a few hours to help financially.

Get a good fibro doctor to support you and look into pain relief meds.

There are lots of nice people who will have good advice for you...maybe better than me as i can't work and some people have found ways to continue working.

I feel for you dealing with fibro and all the resposibility you have as well as your identity no doubt in part being tied up in what you can achieve.

Good Luck

Welcome. I understand your concerns. I've been the breadwinner for my family for the last 17 years. I got diagnosed this spring due to a flare that wiped me out and I was really worried about my ability to keep working.

Willow is right - if you are not willing to make adjustments for this condition you will get worse. You may need to make some tough decisions on how to prioritize your limited energy.

I suggest you learn as much as you can about fibromyalgia. Keep a written log of your symptoms - cmetryme started a post with a lot of good information on what kind of things to keep track of. Keeping a log has helped me figure out what helps control my symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back