DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2014
Country
Uk
State
PO6 3HY
Hi all

I am from the UK and have had a lot of problems with Lyrica/Pregabalin mainly a lot of weight gain.

I am in the process of changing to Topamax /Topamirate. Is this used for Fibromyalgia in the States and is it well tolerated? There is interest here in the UK as the side effect of weight loss would help with counteract the weight gain from Lyrica.

I have read of nasty side effects eg. Continued forgetfulness even once drug is stopped, kidney stones, suicidal thoughts and loss of sight/vision changes.

Many thanks
Scotty

Hi Scotty, welcome. I tried taking Topomax about a year ago for chronic migraines. It stopped the migraines, but the side effects were too severe. I didn't even make it through the titration up to the recommended dose.

The side effect that was the deal breaker for me was that it really interfered with cognition for me. It got to the point where I couldn't even do simple math - not good when you are an engineer :)

It took a about a month to fully recover after I stopped taking it. I talked to the pharmacist and found out it does take some time for the body to get rid of the Topomax.

Some people do very well on it though, I am just very sensitive to it, I guess. Luckily we found a different solution for my migraines. Otherwise I probably would have tried to go back on Topomax at a very low dose.

I used to take it for migraines. Didn't notice the side effects- but it would have been hard to tell them from all my other symptoms. Certainly didn't lose any weight while on it! :(

Thank you both for your replies. So far I have only noticed heartburn and really itchy all over! I have a follow up in a couple of weeks so will address these points then.

Scotty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back