DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
US
State
WA
Hi everyone.
My name is Sarah and I’m 33, married and without kids (hopefully someday!). I live in a small town in Washington state. I can’t work anymore, but when I did I was a special education paraeducator. I was officially diagnosed with fibromyalgia 3 months ago, but I think I may have had it since my early 20s when I started feeling low energy and intermittent pain. 6 years ago my chronic pain started really limiting my life. It started with severe back pain, then into a chronic migraine I’ve had constantly for 2 years so far, and now widespread body pain and days when just standing makes me winded. I’ve become very limited physically and my brain feels like mush most days. I have an incredible group of friends and a ridiculously supportive husband, but I don’t get out much and still get lonely. Thankfully I love TV. It has become my drug of choice. :) …..Everything from Sex In the City & The Real Housewives of New York (a.k.a junk food tv), to brainy documentaries. Thank goodness we live in an age where there are so many distractions available. My hobbies that keep me occupied while stuck in bed are sending mail to friends & nieces (snail mail forever!), books on tape (currently listening to Tina Fey’s ‘Bossypants’ –so good!), reading blogs (Design Mom, Cup of Jo, Whoorl, & interior design blogs, to name a few…), online shopping (papergoods are my current weakness), and anything that makes me laugh.

The days are long and the list of things I am missing out on are even longer (I know I’m not alone in this). I don’t have any friends who have fibromyalgia so I’m looking forward to reading what you all have to share and hear my own experiences echoed. We’re all in this together. I’d love to rant with you guys about the stupid stuff other people say, and celebrate each others little victories (like showering!)
Let’s chat!
p.s. how bout the insomnia? Oof. Anybody got any tips?

Hi srhalex...welcome. You sound remarkably positive bearing in mind your recent diagnosis....i am in awe of that alone.

You have come to a good place with lovely people with all varying levels of fibro. I can't type much today but look forward to communicating with you and hope you stay around to share more about yourself.

Like you say lets chat... it does help.

Welcome, Sarah!

I am waiting for a referral to a rheumatologist for either arthritis or fibromyalgia. I have been having health problems since January with no answers-everything is normal except for some mild arthritis in my lower back according to the MRI.

I am also a special education paraeducator. I work with 3-5 year olds. I am currently still working, but on FMLA leave. When I first went out we thought there might be a problem with my back (nerve issue). That age group is very physically demanding. What age group did you work with?

I am on Lyrica for the burning sensations, but I still have muscle discomfort. Tuesday it was raining and my legs bothered me a lot. This is the 3rd time I remember my legs being worse when it rained. I have started keeping a journal.

I have two children in college/tech schools, so we really need my income. I am hoping to go back to work next month.

I can't relate to the insomnia. I was sleeping fine before the Lyrica, but I even sleep better now. Which I know is a blessing from reading the posts on this site.

Hi Willow!
Thanks for the warm welcome. I try to stay positive but I certainly have my ups and downs. I'll see you around :)

Hi Dark Chocolate!
How fun that we had the same job. I worked in a transitions program for young adults ages 18-21. Sometimes we would get them as young as 16 if they weren't being met in high school. I originally wanted to work with little kids because.....cuteness..... but when I applied to my first school the opening they had was for high school. I turned out to love it and when I moved I stayed with that age group.
I don't have any burning sensations but I do have a ton of deep leg aching. I can tell it is going to be worse when it snows. That's good that you can keep a journal, I had to stop because it bummed me out, but I know they are so helpful for so many people. Maybe I should try that again.
I hope that you can go back to work as you are planning, that is a scary place to be. I'm looking into getting on disability to help better prep for the future. I've heard it's a lot of work but my husband is going to help me apply. Thanks for reaching out. I look forward to talking with you more :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back