Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2016
Country
US
State
CO
I have been on a few different support forums. One of them was too confusing to use. The other....I felt like posts got lost and well....instead of being supportive, I felt like I was surrounded by moms who just wanted to tell me what to do. So, here I am...

I am 46, married, wife, kids - but only one left at home, grandkids, and work full time. I have struggled with trying to figure out what wasn't right with me for quite awhile. It wasn't until January that a doc determined fibromyalgia. I am on gabapentin, going to head therapy once a month, and up to 10 1/2 minutes on the elliptical each night. Doc has me slowly working my way up....really slowly. He said 10 minutes for a month and then 12 1/2 minutes - so I am gradually getting there.

My husband, son, and coworkers are all trying to understand - but it's difficult. I am truly looking for that connection where I can say things like "damn that shooting pain in my back thigh" and have someone get it. Or understand why typing this out took awhile because I had to take breaks - because my fingers get sore. And get how frustrating it is to be a go-getter who can't even open a dang jar.

Anyway, that's a brief about me....

Hi! I'm new too and often feel quite alone with my struggles. There's no easy way to explain why you have to stop every few stair steps because you're carrying a box, you know? It sucks to end up with a limp some days because you have stuff to do but are in a lot of pain. I'm tired of feeling exhausted every day. I just want to be able to stand up without feeling my joints creak like I need an oil can...

I'm still trying to find exercise that works for me too. There are a few yoga poses that help stretch some of nasty stuff that goes on in your legs. A lot of yoga is quite difficult with the muscle stiffness, fatigue, etc. But if you try them out, you might find a few that you can manage. If nothing else, it gets you off your butt for a few minutes!

It sucks that no one can understand until they have it too. :/

Hi to both of you and welcome! I joined this forum because when I was finally diagnosed I had suffered for almost 20 years with the same doctors rolling their eyes at me and uping/changing antidepressants, by the time I was diagnosed the ruemotogist labeled me "severe" and I had no idea what fibromyalgia was. I had to learn fast and there is so much contradiction out there, this gave real people with real exsperiance... But then came the bonus, real compasion real understanding real similar situations and feelings. Fibromyalgia is lonely even when your surrounded by friends and family. I would have never doubted someone's ilness but I would have never comprehended this without actually exsperiancing it myself. I don't expect my family to understand, just to respect and not belittle me by minimizing it.
I'm not sure why but the welcome thread doesn't get a lot of attention, so I recommend posting in the general section.
Welcome again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back