Reason
Relative
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
Wisconsin
Hi, my name is makia and i'm new here. My mom got in a car accident when I was young and she has had Fibro ever since. I know she is always hurting, but she never admits to it. I want to help her, but I have no idea what I should do. I hope someone can help me out, or even better understand Fibromyalgia so I can understand what she's going through. Thank you so much :smile:

Hi makia, welcome, and sorry to hear about your mom. First off, has she been diagnosed by a doctor with fibro, or does she just have symptoms? Does the pain come and go (good days/bad days) or is it 24/7?

You know, similar thing happened to a friend of mine from college. She got into a car accident, not very serious, but had whiplash, pain in her arms and back for about half a year. She went for physical therapy and seemed fine. Almost 20 years later she was in chronic pain, and they diagnosed her with RSD.

So if she hasn't been diagnosed, she should be. In which case, it may help to research "RSD" as well, since they are similar and can cross-over.

Hi. Be supportive. Listen if she wants to talk about it. Help her carry things, clean her house, spend time with her. Fibromyalgia can make you feel lonely because people do not understand and you do not want to complain constantly so you hide it. You stay inside and asleep a lot more than you want. In your mind you want to do so many things but your body will not allow it. You are definitely doing a good job because you being on this site shows that you care and you do want to help.

Hi, I'm new here as well. I was also in a car accident and have had fibro ever since. I think that it's so great that you want to help your mom or at least try to understand what she's going through. I've attached a link that you might find helpful. A few things to remember is everyone's fibro is a bit different and it can change from day to day. There are many symptoms but most prominently is widespread chronic pain of muscles, joints, ligaments and tendons. Don't try to figure it all out because you won't....just be patient and accept that it is what it is. There's going to be good days and bad days. Good luck to you and your mom. :) Fibromyalgia | University of Maryland Medical Center

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back