Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2015
Country
US
State
TX
Does anyone feel like their Fibro gets worse as they get older? They say it doesn't but I feel like it does.

I have read and been told by doctors that Fibromyalgia is no a progressive disease. In my case, I feel that it is, My symptoms seem to be getting worse and the flares more frequent. I am retired so I really have very little stress in my life. The only other explanation is the other disorders I have are becoming worse or I am developing more diseases/disorders. It could be both. Does anyone else believe their Fibro gets worse the longer you have it?

Hi Alta - Most people over time seem to have ups and downs, that's why docs say that. If our downs are long, then it seems it's all getting worse. My fibro built up from around 2011 to 2019, with some flares round about 2016 and a full flare since Oct19, stopping me from working for 10 months. Trying the offered or researched treatments, incl. rheum./fibro clinic usually made it worse. Now having learned to pace, cope, finding treatments etc. it's pretty stable, at least independent of changing treatments. Taking work up to 28h/wk has been too much, got to go back down to about 15h/wk to not overdo it. But despite this stability, it appears there will always be old and new triggers, whether I work or do other activities, so I will always keep on my toes, doing things but treating the effects of them. If I didn't, it would get worse. That's my very individual take/prognosis on it, as of now. Others have had it far longer than me tho... But the suggestion that follows from my experience then would be: Try keeping on your toes to keep the effects of triggers down... That help?

In my opinion (and I am not a doctor), the main reason that fibro symptoms would get worse as a person gets older would be that the body is getting older. If the body is getting older and getting more and more weak or out of shape, then that will definitely lead to having worse effects from the fibro.

You can stop this to a great degree, though. If you eat a very healthy diet, avoid things like alcohol, caffeine and sugar, don't eat any processed food, get good exercise every day, and maintain as positive a lifestyle and mental health as possible, then the symptoms will be less severe and your body will be more able to manage them no matter how old you get.

Even people without fibro or any other thing like that will become progressively weaker and less able to do things if they don't work at keeping fit and healthy. It's up to you do do that work for yourself. Starting at any age will still make a difference to how you feel.

Hi Alta - Most people over time seem to have ups and downs, that's why docs say that. If our downs are long, then it seems it's all getting worse. My fibro built up from around 2011 to 2019, with some flares round about 2016 and a full flare since Oct19, stopping me from working for 10 months. Trying the offered or researched treatments, incl. rheum./fibro clinic usually made it worse. Now having learned to pace, cope, finding treatments etc. it's pretty stable, at least independent of changing treatments. Taking work up to 28h/wk has been too much, got to go back down to about 15h/wk to not overdo it. But despite this stability, it appears there will always be old and new triggers, whether I work or do other activities, so I will always keep on my toes, doing things but treating the effects of them. If I didn't, it would get worse. That's my very individual take/prognosis on it, as of now. Others have had it far longer than me tho... But the suggestion that follows from my experience then would be: Try keeping on your toes to keep the effects of triggers down... That help?
Thank you. I have learned to try to limit the things that cause me stress which seems to be my biggest trigger or if I have some kind of infection.

In my opinion (and I am not a doctor), the main reason that fibro symptoms would get worse as a person gets older would be that the body is getting older. If the body is getting older and getting more and more weak or out of shape, then that will definitely lead to having worse effects from the fibro.

You can stop this to a great degree, though. If you eat a very healthy diet, avoid things like alcohol, caffeine and sugar, don't eat any processed food, get good exercise every day, and maintain as positive a lifestyle and mental health as possible, then the symptoms will be less severe and your body will be more able to manage them no matter how old you get.

Even people without fibro or any other thing like that will become progressively weaker and less able to do things if they don't work at keeping fit and healthy. It's up to you do do that work for yourself. Starting at any age will still make a difference to how you feel.
Thank you for your reply. I was doing very well in the health dept until last Sept when I started having surgeries and a multitude of different infections, which had nothing to do with my diet or exercise but because I am immune-suppressed. I am feeling better now and am getting back on the health wagon.

I think everyone gets worse when older so yes it gets worse as well.

I think everyone gets worse when older so yes it gets worse as well.
This is not a foregone conclusion. It doesn't always have to be that way if you take good care of your body and manage stress and do all the things that will help you. The body wears out eventually, sure. But fibro doesn't necessarily get worse with age.

Yes, we all get older, and yes, there are things we can always do to improve, but, at least in my case, I do agree with the OP. I have taken control of my health, doing what I should, but there is no denying mine is worse.

Yes, we all get older, and yes, there are things we can always do to improve, but, at least in my case, I do agree with the OP. I have taken control of my health, doing what I should, but there is no denying mine is worse.
Of course, it is an individual thing, and whether it gets worse or not is not necessarily related to how well you take care of yourself.

sorry........didn't mean to imply that it was, as I would never want to suggest that it was someone's fault.

I only meant to say that it is not absolutely inevitable that it will worsen with age.
And the main reason I say that is that I want the young people here not to think they are on a track that will only go downhill no matter what they do. It may, but it also may not.
That's the thing about fibro----it is unpredictable. Maybe that's a good thing, maybe not. I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back