Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NJ
I have got a doctor prescribe me for a medical marijuana card.
Any advice on what type would help for chronic pain?
Also would like to know all your experiences with marijuana for chronic pain And chronic anxiety / depression.

interested as well..didnt try it so far

Maybe I can help with that.

I have been using medical grade marijuana for pain and other things for about three years now, and have had only positive experiences with it.

I feel very strongly about a few things, and advise accordingly:

Do not smoke or vape. Both of those things are terribly injurious to your lungs and to your health. You will end up with more problems than you have now, which is not exactly what you want. Use edibles instead. I take tinctures for the most part. They are really the best way to dose because you can fine tune exactly how much you are getting each time, and control how it affects you.

Another thing to use is edibles like gummies or candies. They are useful as well, but have a couple of disadvantages that tinctures don't have. They take at least an hour to start working because they have to go through the digestive tract. And they are not as easy to fine-tune.

You need to be certain to choose what concentration you want carefully. You can get a 10ml bottle of tincture that has a concentration of 300, 600, or 1200 mg of THC in each ml. and those are, obviously, very different. Don't just think you can take "a ml of tincture". You need to do the math.

Also note that Sativa and Indica are different, one having more of a sedative effect than the other. I always use sativa in the daytime and Indica at night, myself.

I recommend starting with no more than a 300mg/ml concentration, and starting with a very small dose, like 1/4 of a ml. and see what that does. If you are going to increase it, work up slowly and don't go past the point where it is helping.

It's not addictive. But why use more than you need to, since it is not cheap.
You can also combine the tincture and edibles. For instance sometimes at night I will take a tincture dose, and also a piece of gummy. That way, when the tincture starts to wear off the gummy will have kicked in. but I don't do that in the daytime, because there's a chance I will end up being high from it and I personally don't want that.

Nothing wrong with getting high, occasionally, of course. but I advise not doing it regularly. And don't drive or do other such things at first when you are taking it until you have used it for several weeks and know exactly how it will affect you.

It takes experimentation and time. I think it took me about 3 months before I had it figured out how much to take at what time of day according to how I was feeling or how bad the pain was and so on. Some kinds of pain it doesn't help at all. Other kinds of pain can vanish within 5 minutes of my taking a tincture dose.

I have found it to be immensely helpful and more and more I am reading and hearing that doctors who work with fibro patients are finding it helps people. It's not a magic pill and won't make it all go away. And it may not work for you....I have also heard of folks who are sensitive to it and cannot use it without getting high, even on a small amount, and so they don't like it. Some people say it doesn't make them too high but neither does it work on their pain. Very rarely someone has a negative reaction to it psychologically.

the only way to find out for yourself is to give it a try. Start small, go slow, and make careful note of when and how much you take and how you felt before and after, and you will get it figured out.

I have used 100% CBD oil before which did not really help except making me more quieter

I am hoping this would be different based on THC
@sunkacola thank you as always

I have used 100% CBD oil before which did not really help except making me more quieter

I am hoping this would be different based on THC
@sunkacola thank you as always
CBD alone doesn't have a good track record for helping people with chronic pain.
It usually has to have THC in it to work. You can start out with a 1:1 CBD:THC formula also. I started with that, and then decided to get the CBD and the THC tinctures separately (from the same dispensary) and do my own combining. Some times I will take more of the CBD, sometimes go heavier on the THC. I can fine-tune this to my pain level and to what I will be doing that day, and to what time of day it is and so on. Usually I take both CBD and THC at the same time.
(My previous post did not mention this...sorry). I think experimenting with both is the best way to start.

Ooops, I didn't realize you can get cbd oil that high! Haven't seen it that high inside of Germany. Now I've looked again I can only find 20% or 40%.
I thought the type I used was high, at 10%, 3mg per drop, 1 drop (just as zombifying as 3 drops a month or two earlier, so too high for me...).
But I've just read up that the % doesn't mean it's potent, it's more important that it is organic and full spectrum, which mine was, and expensive, seemingly trustworthy (65€/10mg), or is that all just a part of the story?
(Just curious at the moment - I know you've said try different brands, but at the moment I can't see any sense in trying again).

Ooops, I didn't realize you can get cbd oil that high! Haven't seen it that high inside of Germany. Now I've looked again I can only find 20% or 40%.
I thought the type I used was high, at 10%, 3mg per drop, 1 drop (just as zombifying as 3 drops a month or two earlier, so too high for me...).
But I've just read up that the % doesn't mean it's potent, it's more important that it is organic and full spectrum, which mine was, and expensive, seemingly trustworthy (65€/10mg), or is that all just a part of the story?
(Just curious at the moment - I know you've said try different brands, but at the moment I can't see any sense in trying again).
Well, this seems to be a matter of definition or understanding of terms.
I don't think you yet understand what is meant here.

100% CBD oil doesn't mean that every drop in the entire bottle is made up of nothing but CBD.

For one thing, CBD is not an oil, nor an alcohol, nor any kind of liquid.
It's a substance that is distilled from the plant usually by the use of alcohol or oil, but the CBD itself is the substance, not the liquid.

A tinctures is always a medicinal that is mixed with a carrier, whether the carrier is oil or alcohol or water or whatever. That's the definition of a tincture.

So what is meant here is that there is an oil with some concentration of CBD in it, and there's no other medicinal in it but the CBD.

That concentration may be 10mg/ml, or 20 or 100 or 1500 or any other concentration in each /ml of the carrier liquid.

Terpenes are the medicinal compounds in marijuana found in the cannabinoids which deliver to cannabinoid receptors in our bodies. I recommend reading up about which terpenes are effect for providing cert benefits. A reputable provider should have done a lab analysis of each batch of plant. For pain and insomnia, two of the most potent and effective terpenes to look for are high levels of myrcene and caryophyllene. Lots of info online. Fascinating stuff actually. THC strength in itself isn’t enough to be aware of if you have specific needs. For example, if you need help sleeping, you would avoid a plant with euphoria causing terpenes and look for soporific ones (e,g. Myrcene). Caryophyllene is great for pain reduction and both are great for anxiety. Most good providers should have well trained staff to help you discuss your needs. Below is a terpene wheel showing the most helpful terpenes for medicinal use.

Attachments

• 576C068D-D70E-468C-A6E8-98700930D5E7.png
    576C068D-D70E-468C-A6E8-98700930D5E7.png
    160.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I wish I had read your post before going through the whole process of getting the medical cannabis. I had 2 friends telling me I should do it. One actually uses herself and gave me some advice, the other doesn't do it herself, but knows someone that does it and it helps them.

That being said, when I got my card, I went to a place that offers 50% off your first purchase. My thinking was, I will stock up on this stuff and take advantage of it so it can last for a long time.

The guy that helped me was a trip and very nice, but admitted he was high while helping me. I told him I had anxiety, depression and insomnia (among other things), so needed something that wouldn't make things worse. He also knew that I was a first time user.

I am a vaper and the dr didn't prescribe edibles which is what I wanted, so I went the vape route. I got home and had tons of things I needed to do, but decided to take a big puff of the indica because I have insomnia so bad. BIG mistake. I was so fried, the only thing I could move was my eyeballs AND I still didn't sleep.

I sent pics of everything I bought to my friend that has been using this stuff for a while and she couldn't believe this guy sold me stuff with a very high percentage of THC. She said she doesn't even use that high amount of THC and she's been doing it for years.

I've only tried 3 of the items he sold me and I use them sparingly and only when I am home and I have to take micropuffs. I have numbness/tingling in most of my body and it makes it worse and I think it makes the depression worse too. I think the indica when taken in small doses does help me sleep, but this stuff is very expensive and not sure it is worth it. I was hopeful, but I think I just got the wrong stuff and can't put any more money into right now. I probably won't reapply after the card expires, but I am not saying it won't help other people because I know my friend swears by it.

I wish I had read your post before going through the whole process of getting the medical cannabis. I had 2 friends telling me I should do it. One actually uses herself and gave me some advice, the other doesn't do it herself, but knows someone that does it and it helps them.

That being said, when I got my card, I went to a place that offers 50% off your first purchase. My thinking was, I will stock up on this stuff and take advantage of it so it can last for a long time.

The guy that helped me was a trip and very nice, but admitted he was high while helping me. I told him I had anxiety, depression and insomnia (among other things), so needed something that wouldn't make things worse. He also knew that I was a first time user.

I am a vaper and the dr didn't prescribe edibles which is what I wanted, so I went the vape route. I got home and had tons of things I needed to do, but decided to take a big puff of the indica because I have insomnia so bad. BIG mistake. I was so fried, the only thing I could move was my eyeballs AND I still didn't sleep.

I sent pics of everything I bought to my friend that has been using this stuff for a while and she couldn't believe this guy sold me stuff with a very high percentage of THC. She said she doesn't even use that high amount of THC and she's been doing it for years.

I've only tried 3 of the items he sold me and I use them sparingly and only when I am home and I have to take micropuffs. I have numbness/tingling in most of my body and it makes it worse and I think it makes the depression worse too. I think the indica when taken in small doses does help me sleep, but this stuff is very expensive and not sure it is worth it. I was hopeful, but I think I just got the wrong stuff and can't put any more money into right now. I probably won't reapply after the card expires, but I am not saying it won't help other people because I know my friend swears by it.
So very sorry to hear that you had this experience.
I guess all you can do is chalk it up to a learning curve and move on. I think you will have much better luck with the tinctures. With them it is so much easier to regulate how much you are getting. And you won't be frying your lungs.

I did buy a bottle of tincture and tried it a few times and it didn't do anything. I think I will give it another whirl and maybe up the dosage and see if that will help.

I did buy a bottle of tincture and tried it a few times and it didn't do anything. I think I will give it another whirl and maybe up the dosage and see if that will help.
Yes, you have to experiment a lot to get the dosage right.

also, pay attention to the concentration. You can get concentrations of 300, 600, 900, 1500 mg per ml, and that makes a huge difference. If you are taking a high concentration you need less but if it is a low concentration, only a few drops may not help. I always recommend starting as low as possible and working up from there until you reach the level of dose that works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back