Helpful items around the house

Status
Not open for further replies.

JukeGen

Hi, I'm new to the forum but desperately looking for tips and gadgets to help me continue to do normal things like cooking and cleaning without ending up laid up for days. I am still coming to terms with my diagnosis (fibro + CFS) And I'm only 28 and have been very independent but since I had a massive flare up last December things have become much harder and I'm struggling a lot more. I live with my partner who does try his hardest to support me but sometimes it's hard to explain how a specific tin opener can make such a big difference to my life...I'm also very scared about becoming really vulnerable and losing my dignity...I'm trying my hardest to battle through but as many of you know, it's exhausting. As the weather is starting to change, I'm definitely noticing more pain so I'm trying to be really proactive and find things that can help before I have another winter barely being able to get out of bed.

Hello----
I want to direct you to my post of advice, first off, even though it doesn't directly address your question. If you read it you will find many ideas that will help you to deal with fibromyalgia. Here it is:

Now, as to helpful things around my house (others will have additional ideas)
Step stools (I have one in the kitchen and one in every closet)
Gadget that makes opening jars easier
a very sharp knife (a lot less effort if the knife is very sharp)
A dust pan with a long handle
A duster with a long handle
A good can opener
Knee pads
Using all natural cleansers like vinegar and not using chemicals

Most of all, though, what you need to learn is how to pace yourself, and how to get a really good night's sleep as often as you can. Do your chores a bit at a time, taking breaks to rest. Don't think you have to get something all done in one day. Stop the moment it becomes painful and try something different.

A few things I’ve thought of: a long pair of kitchen tongs are great for grabbing thing that are out of reach; a lightweight stick vacuum for the kitchen (I still prefer a broom and dustpan for a good clean, but when bending is tough, the stick vacuum is easier to manage. I have a Bissel Featherweight. ; a JarKey (you can get on Amazon) to open jars - it works like a bottle opener and just breaks the seal. The lid comes off super easily. If the jarkey doesn’t fit, I’ll stab the lid (carefully of course 😁) to pop the pressure and then I can open it without effort.; a swifter duster — I’m all about reusing and recycling, but the long stick duster is super helpful and makes dusting much easier. ; tub scrubber - there are long handled scrubbers for tubs that make cleaning so much easier. If it needs a really thorough clean, I’ll ask someone else to do it, but this is fine most of the time.

Hope that helps.

Thank you all for these tips and ideas. I have been frightened by my increasing weakness and it is nice to know that I’m not alone and that there are things I can do to adapt.

Thanks everyone :) dusting isn't an issue, I have asthma so thankfully my partner does that for me. I have a stick hoover which can come down to a handheld one for doing the stairs and that has been a game changer! I also prefer to clean the kitchen floor on my hands and knees so knee pads would be a great idea! Sunkacola, you mentioned step stools. Is that for sitting on? I have been looking at stools for the kitchen because I love cooking but I'm afraid they might hurt my back. Sitting on stools normally does, I guess I have quite bad posture...I also really struggle to get up from the couch, it kind of sinks at the back so it's really hard for me to get back up, I know I need a new one but I have no idea what things I should be looking for in order to stop this from happening.

Vacuuming and sweeping, scrubbing floors are hard for me, really bother my back. My daughter bought me a cheaper version of a roomba which vacuums and washes all surfaces, it is wonderful. Good luck, feel better.

Thanks everyone :) dusting isn't an issue, I have asthma so thankfully my partner does that for me. I have a stick hoover which can come down to a handheld one for doing the stairs and that has been a game changer! I also prefer to clean the kitchen floor on my hands and knees so knee pads would be a great idea! Sunkacola, you mentioned step stools. Is that for sitting on? I have been looking at stools for the kitchen because I love cooking but I'm afraid they might hurt my back. Sitting on stools normally does, I guess I have quite bad posture...I also really struggle to get up from the couch, it kind of sinks at the back so it's really hard for me to get back up, I know I need a new one but I have no idea what things I should be looking for in order to stop this from happening.
Actually I meant step stools to climb on. Typically I have stretched up to reach things and now instead I use a step stool so that I am not straining my back by reaching up way over my head, and I am not bending my neck back to see, which is something that also causes me problems. Of course, if you are tall you don't need such a thing! I am not especially short, but not tall either and my house has high cupboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back