Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
Pa
I'm a 19 year old college student who was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia but I have been living with this pain for the last 3 years. I have severe anxiety and depression that goes along with a ridiculous amount of pain that never seems to go away and keeps me up normally till about 4am but sometimes as late as 8am. I have no idea what to do and don't want to burden my family with the pain that I put up with on a daily basis. It's affecting everything from my schoolwork to my job and just my overall enjoyment of life. My doctor isn't that helpful and I have no clue where to start it handling this.

Hi Jordan,

I'm a college student who was diagnosed with fibromyalgia before this past fall semester. Like you I have had the pain for years and other health problems. I struggled with anxiety and depression from the ages of 15 to 20. Surprisingly, the summer of my diagnosis my mood stabilized. My academics and work have been greatly impacted too. Although I can't say for sure what is helping me or if it will stick I though I'd share with you what I've been trying.

I saw a 'Functional Medicine' doctor after seeing multiple doctors at a leading Boston hospital (they told me there was nothing much I could do and tried to give me medications which didn't end up working). This doctor found I had a candida problem, low zinc/vitamin d/magnesium/B12, and a leaky gut. Magnesium is what helps stabilize mood and after starting a supplement I felt much more at ease. They prescribed a gluten, dairy, sugar, and yeast free diet. Everyone can benefit from cutting out sugar, it does some nasty things to the body! This worked wonders for me for about two months before college got the best of me. After stopping the diet I started feeling worse again. If you have the funds and ability to see a functional doctor it may help or possibly see a nutritionist who can help you with an elimination diet.

Also, I sought multiple opinions. My new primary care doctor found out I also have a kidney problem that causes low potassium and magnesium levels which can cause many symptoms and is sending me to physical therapy for neck problems. Bad posture can make my back pain and headaches worse. I also see an acupuncturist and chiropractor (bye bye headaches and stomach problems!).

Losing sleep makes me feel sooo much worse. Not to mention the effect it has on my grades when I can only sleep from 7am to 2pm. I'm still working on this, but I bought these sunglasses that filter out blue light to wear a few hours before bed and it does make me sleepier than when I'm just watching tv before bed. However, I still don't know how to get deep sleep and not wake up feeling like I was hit by a truck.

Other things for pain:
-epsom salt baths
-light cardio daily (I'm trying to lift now but am paying for it in pain)
-therapy (to take some pressure off the family)
-mindful meditation daily

I like the book 'Fibromyalgia: The First Year' by Claudia Craig Marek. A lot of good information. Try googling (or going on pinterest) and looking for recipes for the paleo auto-immune protocol and looking for other people's success stories. You can also ask your doctor to perform specific tests such as those to check for vitamin and mineral deficiencies. But be warned, a conventional doctor may not think these deficiencies or food sensitivities will make any difference. I think they do though, by my own experience!

Also, I have found that registering with disability services at my school helps. They helped me get handicap parking on campus so that I don't have to worry about a bus commute when I am in pain and this helps with my concentration problems. They also give me access to notes for when I miss class because my sleep is off.

I hope this helps at least a little bit!

Good luck!

Oh goodness, bless your heart, you are so young. I'm so sorry your struggling. You did not say what meds. Your doctor has started you on. I know it took weeks for mine to give some relief, then I started going backwards and had to up the does (gabby). Meds are a hit or miss, so you have to be patient and have a doctor that is both compassionate and knows what their doing. For temporary quick relief heating pads, hot baths, TENS unite ($30.00 at target/drug store) and the number one thing that helped me while waiting to see if the gabby was going to work was Volterin gel, it is by prescription and worth every penny. Before I was diagnosed I had found capsaicin ointment (over the counter) used carefully (it's from a chilli pepper and can build a burn!). But it did give hours of relief.
You must get some sleep. This is vital to your health. Talk to your doctor. Gabby helps me sleep and when I'm having trouble I also take ambian. I used to take zanex and it would knock me out. Find what works for you. I used to be scared of "addictive" drugs, but I really don't care if I have to take something to help me sleep for the rest of my life. The fibro will never go away so I doubt I will never not need it. You can try melatonin, it used to help me sleep. Sleep, sleep, sleep. Very important both for the mind and the body.
I know these are mostly short term relief and may not even work for you. But I hope you'll get some relief until you find what works for you.
Sending gentle hugs.

Ps: many treatments for fibro include anti anxiety properties...neurotin (gabby) lyrica, colonzopan zanex exc.

Last edited:
Forgot natural anxiety supplements are gaba and I've found an adrenal support blend helps me greatly. But you should check with your doctor on both of these to be sure they won't interfere.

I have been prescribed lyrica and symbalta and the symbalta has only made me nauseous and the lyrica has not helped at all so I have no clue what to move on too next but I keep missing classes and have had no relief whatsoever.

Please go back to your doctor and tell them these meds are not helping you. It is difficult to get pain relief because it is our brains signals that have all gone haywire.

if the drugs you are on are really not helping there is no point in putting them in your body. There are other drugs like tramadol and weakish opiates and amitriptyline an anti depressant taken at a low dose for sleep and pain reduction.

Keep trying and dont give up your fight. Its hard i know. The book by Claudia Marek is really good and might help you on your journey to getting your health the best you can.

Hi Jordan, have you been able to change meds yet?

I'm a 19 year old college student who was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia but I have been living with this pain for the last 3 years. I have severe anxiety and depression that goes along with a ridiculous amount of pain that never seems to go away and keeps me up normally till about 4am but sometimes as late as 8am. I have no idea what to do and don't want to burden my family with the pain that I put up with on a daily basis. It's affecting everything from my schoolwork to my job and just my overall enjoyment of life. My doctor isn't that helpful and I have no clue where to start it handling this.

heey :) Im 18, and i was diagnosed 2 years ago but i have had the sympotoms since i was 13 years old. It was a nightmare getting diagnosed. It took me 3 years. My doctor didnt listen to me at all, she dismissed the symptoms as growing pains and would tell me to take aleve or other pain medications. I was so discouraged, i felt like i was crazy, and she made me feel like i was making things up. In grade 11, I had a huge flare and I took the matters into my own hands. I saw a different doctor and he actually listened to me, he ordered blood tests, x-rays, the whole works, and referred me to a rheumatologist who finally diagnosed me.

What i learnt is that if a doctor isn't listening to you, you need to take control. I recommend shopping around for a new doctor. I dont know about you, but where i live there is a number you can call and they can set you up with a doctor. You can go for a meet up to see if you like them. Your health matters and if it is effecting your quality of life you need to see a doctor who can help! It may be medication, physio or eating different but you need somone who is understanding, compassoonate and willing to help. I am so sorry that you are going threw such a rough time, i know just how terrible it can make you feel. I hope you find a good doctor! and I hope your fibro eases up :)

Hi there jordan, I started suffering with chronic pain when I was pretty young as well. Have they ruled out other diseases? It sounds to me like you need to find a better doctor. The meds route hasn't worked for everyone here, but it has worked for some, at least to the point they can lead a normal life. Sometimes you just need to keep trying and trying with meds combinations. You need to find a good doctor, don't give up, it's hard, but can totally change everything for you.

Best of luck with everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back