Reason
Other
Diagnosis
11/2013
Country
US
State
sc
I am the mother of a 2 year old son and expecting my 2nd son just after my 23rd birthday in May. I have been dealing with severe pain for many years and just figured everyone had to endure this. I never went to a doctor about it because I honestly can't remember a time when I wasn't in pain.

A few months ago, my fiance and I were talking about my back pain and his mother suggested it sounded like fibro so I started researching it. It turns out I have most of the symptoms of fibro. She took me to the emergency room right away to see if there was anything they could do about it. After speaking to me for about an hour, the doctor told me that a definitive diagnoses would take several test to rule out other possible disorders, but in his opinion he thought I had fibromyalgia and that's what he put on my discharge paper work. He encouraged me to seek medical assistance with a definitive diagnoses so I could begin a treatment for the pain and severe depression but I found out I was pregnant shortly after and was told there was nothing they could do until I had the baby.

The farther I get along in my pregnancy, the worse the pain gets. I am in so much pain some times, it takes everything I've got to get out of bed to fix breakfast for my 2 year old. It's getting harder and harder to run after him and play with him. I am worried my disability is having an affect on his quality of life and I don't know what I can do about it. I suffer from anxiety attacks and severe depression and my obgyn prescribed me Prozac but said it wouldn't be strong enough to actually "fix" any problems but just enough to take the edge off. I am under a tremendous amount of stress with my soon to be ex husband and a custody battle over a child he cares nothing about, and who is my entire world. I used to exerciser to reduce depression and promote blood flow but my body is falling apart so I can barely walk without breaking down in tears. Sitting or standing too long absolutely kills me.

My question is this. Of you who are dealing with this horrible pain disorder, have you found any positive remedies that I could try to reduce my pain and depression at least until I can begin formal treatment? I sleep on a heating pad most nights and I write in a journal to reduce tension. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Yes, I would like to suggest in the nicest possible way that you seek out some counseling. Counselers can provide a sounding board and non-judgemental giving advice. They can show you ways to fight depression and provide a way forward in dealing with stress without more medication. If you want to avoid a mental health professional, a pastor at a church could help and your talks would be confidential. Do you have any family members or good friends that could help watch your younger son for you? :)

I agree with 1sweed. It really sounds like you need some counseling and extra support, dealing with this won't be easier, specially now that you are pregnant. I really hope you get a diagnosis soon, so you know for sure whether you have fibro or not. It's really important! Once you get a diagnosis you can start experimenting with different treatments and actively working on your coping skills. Sadly fibro isn't a disease that can be cured, but fortunately enough it can be managed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back