Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2020
Country
US
State
IL
So I am a very new blogger, but since I do not sleep at night anymore due to my fibromyalgia I thought this would be a great way for me to reach out to others who are suffering. I was recently diagnosed with this disease so I'm going through all emotions including depression, feeling like an invalid and inferior. I am a very active mother of 2 boys and now 2 girls (my fiance's children) so I do not have time for this. How do you deal with the nonstop pain and all the other symptoms go through. Please tell me your stories of dealing with this and how to overcome it. Is there anything I need to be aware of? My doctor informed me that I have severe fibromyalgia and may need to go on disability. That was crushing to me since I'm only 46 and have a strong work ethic.

Hi Irvin46, first, don't borrow trouble by worrying excessively. Even if your doc says you may be on disability some day that doesn't mean you will be. You can work with this. I used to be unable to get out of bed until I had waited for an opiate pain medicine to take effect, and now I am off almost all medication. My life is not what it used to be, but it's not that bad either.
Please read my response to the post on Depression and Fibromyalgia, as I just wrote that and it tells a lot about how I manage this syndrome in order to still have a life. I am here to help and others are too.

That would be amazing I would love to get off of these medicines and have a normal life. I will definitely go on that site and read what you wrote. Thank you so much for reaching out. It's great to have people who understand.

I was recently diagnosed 6 mos ago. This forum has helped me know that others have the same symptoms. I also know if I awake with swollen lymph glands under ear and ear pain it’s probably a bad day. Anyone else get those symptoms? Thank you for all your help

I was recently diagnosed 6 mos ago. This forum has helped me know that others have the same symptoms. I also know if I awake with swollen lymph glands under ear and ear pain it’s probably a bad day. Anyone else get those symptoms? Thank you for all your help
I wake up with swollen glands and a slightly sore throat fairly often, maybe once or twice a month. It is always gone by mid-day at the latest , and I don't know that it is related to fibromyalgia. In my case, I have chronic sinus issues and I think that's a more likely cause.

You might want to post questions such as this in a new thread that you start, instead of at the end of an old thread that has not been active for months.

I am sure that you can overcome this pain. Despite what the doctor said, it is your organism, anf so many things including your condition depends on your emotional state and your mood. What you are experiencing now is really hard, but be sure, it is going to be better! Stay positive and determine that you can overcome everything! Your inner feeling is very important now.

Despite it having been an older thread: Just want to remind that psychology is only a part of this... It needs resources, determination & motivation, working on, but also adapting to and accepting it and yourself. It's about coping and *trying to overcome...

I am sure that you can overcome this pain. Despite what the doctor said, it is your organism, anf so many things including your condition depends on your emotional state and your mood. What you are experiencing now is really hard, but be sure, it is going to be better! Stay positive and determine that you can overcome everything! Your inner feeling is very important now.
Emily, thanks for being a positive force here; it is appreciated.
I feel, however, a need to temper what you are saying just a bit, so forgive me for doing so but I think it is important.

It may be setting up a person for terrible disappointment and feelings of inadequacy if you tell them that what they are experiencing is definitely going to get better, and that with positive thinking they can overcome anything.

That's not true across the board for everyone. Many people in this forum, including myself, have done a lot of work to alleviate and manage the symptoms of FM, including having a positive attitude toward it, but no one here has been able, with positive thinking, to overcome the syndrome. Many people won't get better, and none of us can promise that they will.

Medical conditions don't depend on a person's mental state and mood. There are hundreds other factors that influence these conditions. To be sure, having a positive approach and attitude can only help, and it is one of the things I encourage all the time. But it won't cure someone, if they have a chronic physical medical condition. Those it does seem to cure are in a tiny minority, who may not have had the actual medical condition in the first place. No studies have been done on this that give reliable information.

The problem with telling someone they can get better by thinking positively is that when they put their heart into doing that and it doesn't work, that person will feel they are doing it wrong or are inadequate to help themselves, possibly bringing about great disappointment, despair and depression. I know this because I have gone through this. It is much more helpful to people to say, quite accurately, that having a positive attitude is a useful thing that can help, and probably never hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back