Not open for further replies.

Survivor6996

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2020
Country
UK
My nose is really sensitive when it comes to smelling things. About 2 months ago my sense of taste depreciate, my food became bland. Five days ago I started to smell smoke, it seems like burning paper or leaves. I started to smell that around lunch time, so I checked the area around the house but no one is burning anything. It continued up until the time I fell asleep. Next day, it is still there, so I called my GP and had a telephone appointment. She was quite puzzled why it is happening and decided to refer me to ENT.
I wasn't given anything and was left to suffer. Everyday the smell is getting stronger and breathing is getting harder as it gets shallower.
I don't know what to do or where to go anymore. It is frustrating when doctors seems like they don't care.

I googled my condition and one catches my attention. It can be a sign of brain tumor or cyst on the temporal lobe. I have a small cyst on the right temporal lobe which the Neurologist told me that it is NORMAL. I requested my GP for a repeat MRI of my brain. Now, it is a very long waiting time I have to endure.

Hope everything is okay, too bad you have to wait!

I only posted this in case there is someone who is suffering the same symptoms, they might be able to help me cope. Also, to someone that might suffer the same symptoms in the future. You are not alone.....

I've had migraines since I was a child. In my 30s, I started having olfactory hallucinations where I smell car exhaust for days at a time. In the past year, I started to have ocular migraines where I see colored prisms that block my vision. They can both be a precursors to a migraine.

It's likely that's what it is...an olfactory hallucination. They suck but they're mostly just annoying. It's the migraine that comes after that really stinks. But, if you can pay attention to them, sometimes you can head off the migraine. Feel better!! 💐

What medication or treatment did the doctor gave you for your olfactory hallucination?

I have Imitrex for the onset of the actual migraines. I don't think there's really anything they can give you for the hallucinations. They're just super annoying. Maybe it's just the body's way of giving a heads up to make us slow down. I usually get them when I'm overworked or stressed over something. So, I've been at risk for the last oh, 25 years. lol

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and how you cope. Have a great rest of the week and may God always bless you and your family.

I have found that taking imitrex does help with the other migraine symptoms, sometimes even before the migraine pain actually starts.

And the hallucinations are PART of the migraine, so if you take something for the migraine, they should go away.

I just want to add that I have focal seizures and the seizure is a burning smell. If you are having it constantly, though, it is more likely the migraine.

focal seizures and the seizure is a burning smell.
Interesting! Mine is aphasia because of cortex left-overs in my speech centre...

You should definetely find a good doctor who can provide you with the professional help. By the way, everything is gonna be fine! Just seek for the help and you will find out why you feel so unusual sense of taste

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back