Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
09/2020
Country
CA
State
ON
I had a follow-up with my doctor as I've not not been able to get any pain relief since starting the Cymbalta, along with Gabapentin and Naltrexone. The pain has been so severe, I've been unable to sleep - it's been unbearable.

My doctor prescribed Suboxone, which is normally used to treat opiod dependance/withdrawl symptoms. I thought I would cry at how much it's helped, when I thought nothing ever would!

I'm not completely pain free, but miles better than I was. The only downside is I take it at night because it makes me feel tired and dopey...which extends into the next day.

I've had to stop Naltrexone (similar properties in the Suboxone.

Has anyone else tried this?

The only downside is I take it at night because it makes me feel tired and dopey...which extends into the next day.
If you do have to continue taking it: How about taking it earlier before you go to sleep (like people say & I did with Amitriptyline)? And is it possible for you to take less?
Whilst taking it, you could now quickly start implementing other the whole host of other pain & sleep management techniques (see sunkacola's advice etc.). I've got my pains at night down with osteopathy, ear-acupressure, putting a topper on my mattress, trigger pointing etc. and now I mainly use a hot water bottle, arnica cream & stretching as soon as something starts up again. Tried any of these?

I've been taking Contrave, a weightloss drug that is 8 mg naltrexone and 90 mg wellbutrin. It is for weightloss and I get it through the manufacturer's mail order pharmacy. It is wildly expensive if you get it through a pharmacy using your insurance but $99 a month through the mail order pharmacy. I had been using it for weightloss, but I never took more than 1/2 the dose. When I got to the weight I wanted, I went off it and went to only naltrexone. That was a mistake, as I began to ache all over as soon as the last dose cleared my system. Personally, I wouldn't switch from Suboxone if it's working, especially because it sounds like you can get a good night's sleep on it. However, if you need to change, Contrave will not make you sleepy and might be a reasonable alternative. Again, I only take the morning dose and it works very well for my pain. The drug is not licensed for pain, but it works for me.

Hi! I'm new to the forums. I am trying to gain more info on fibromyalgia and the pain with it. I have a mild form of it and my sister has a severe form of it. I just take diclofenac and gabapentin while she in the last year has progressed to hydrocodone, morphine, tramadol and then back to hydrocodone which has landed her in the hospital twice now with bloating and swelling in her legs. I think the pain doctor she is seeing is not prescribing anything to help her. Instead she is becoming addicted to these drugs. How many others have this debilitating pain to the point of using opioids?

Thank you for your response...I’m reading it a bit late, but it’s interesting that someone else suggested that I try taking it early as well. I do use a heating pad, and I’ve tried Voltaren cream, and an essential oil blend for muscles from Saje. I appreciate your ideas!

If you do have to continue taking it: How about taking it earlier before you go to sleep (like people say & I did with Amitriptyline)? And is it possible for you to take less?
Whilst taking it, you could now quickly start implementing other the whole host of other pain & sleep management techniques (see sunkacola's advice etc.). I've got my pains at night down with osteopathy, ear-acupressure, putting a topper on my mattress, trigger pointing etc. and now I mainly use a hot water bottle, arnica cream & stretching as soon as something starts up again. Tried any of these?

Thank you for your response. It’s interesting that my doctor suggested that I try taking it early as well. I do use a heating pad, and I’ve tried Voltaren cream, and an essential oil blend for muscles from Saje. I appreciate your ideas!

Hi! I'm new to the forums. I am trying to gain more info on fibromyalgia and the pain with it. I have a mild form of it and my sister has a severe form of it. I just take diclofenac and gabapentin while she in the last year has progressed to hydrocodone, morphine, tramadol and then back to hydrocodone which has landed her in the hospital twice now with bloating and swelling in her legs. I think the pain doctor she is seeing is not prescribing anything to help her. Instead she is becoming addicted to these drugs. How many others have this debilitating pain to the point of using opioids?
I have been there, done that. It is most definitely not a road that your sister should be going down (nor should anyone else). If she is taking all of those things, you are right-- she is becoming or will become addicted to them for certain because those drugs are as addicting as meth or heroin. I got off all opioids and your sister can too, by making good choices in multiple areas of life that will improve her health, and by doing so will improve the painful situation she is in, even if her condition is severe. I know this is possible because I have done that myself.

How many others have this debilitating pain to the point of using opioids?
Thankfully seizures stopped me taking Tilidine immediately. I only wanted to test it anyway. Felt a bit under pressure to do so, silly really.

Hi, and thank you for responding so quickly. My sister has been in the hospital for 5 days now and is wanting to go home, because she is in too much pain at night. They switched her from hydrocodone pills to a liquid form which is not as strong, evidently. She can no longer get up and around, because her muscles are too weak. I feel that with taking the opioids all that did for her was make her stay in bed and wait for the next dose. The hospital staff wants her to go to rehab, but she wants to go home. I think it's so she can get her hands on a stronger dose. She is 77. So what were some alternatives for you and how are you able to deal with the pain? My sister used to do water aerobics M-F and would get out and do things. She fought taking any kind of drug for years and now seems to have just given up. Her daughter, my niece, wants her to go to rehab, but my sister is fighting it. The hospital can't make her go only suggest it. Due to covid I can't even go visit her and try to reason with her and she's not talking on the phone at all. My niece calls me for advice, but I need some suggestions of alternate means to help her with the pain, but also come off the opioids. I welcome any suggestions or ideas. Thanks

Also, my other niece has fibromyalgia and was on opioids for a period of time, but weaned herself off because she was tired of being in a fog. She now takes Cymbalta, diclofenac and one other med. She says she has painful days and good days. I guess this seems to run with the women in my family.

Hi, and thank you for responding so quickly. My sister has been in the hospital for 5 days now and is wanting to go home, because she is in too much pain at night. They switched her from hydrocodone pills to a liquid form which is not as strong, evidently. She can no longer get up and around, because her muscles are too weak. I feel that with taking the opioids all that did for her was make her stay in bed and wait for the next dose. The hospital staff wants her to go to rehab, but she wants to go home. I think it's so she can get her hands on a stronger dose. She is 77. So what were some alternatives for you and how are you able to deal with the pain? My sister used to do water aerobics M-F and would get out and do things. She fought taking any kind of drug for years and now seems to have just given up. Her daughter, my niece, wants her to go to rehab, but my sister is fighting it. The hospital can't make her go only suggest it. Due to covid I can't even go visit her and try to reason with her and she's not talking on the phone at all. My niece calls me for advice, but I need some suggestions of alternate means to help her with the pain, but also come off the opioids. I welcome any suggestions or ideas. Thanks
there is a post at the top of the General forum with all my best advice for managing fibro. If your sister will do any of this it may very well help.
You are in a terrible position, though, not being able to talk to her, and that's very hard. If your niece can influence her, then I suggest she read that post and start by at least making sure what your sister eats is healthy. Maybe she can get her up and walking just a little bit, or doing the other things.

It's very sad that she seems to have given up. I would suggest that if she is going home, the stronger opiates be removed from her home so that she cannot self-dose or overdose, as it sounds as though that is a strong possibility.

It's understandable that a person would reach the give-up stage, but there's no need to do that. there are many ways to manage fibro and the pain and still have a life well worth living. Would she be willing to talk to a psychotherapist on the phone? Maybe that would help, I don't know. Therapists vary greatly and a good one would be helpful but a not good one could cause more harm.

One thing I would say is not to try to force her into anything, and especially not to try to use shame, guilt, or pressure to get her to do something for herself. that usually only makes a person more resistant and depressed. But she needs to know that if she doesn't start walking and doing the things that will help her, she will only get worse.

If she has decided life is not worth living, and continues to be resistant to all efforts to help her you really cannot do much. Your niece can give it her best shot, and I would suggest she be persistent and encouraging, but if your sister won't try anything even after weeks or months of trying to help her, there's a point at which you both may just have to let it go. this is very sad and I feel for you. Let us know if we can help in any way.

Hi, I was wondering if Suboxone is for opioid dependence then how does it work on the pain? I'm confused.

Thank you for your help and understanding. I will try to find your post as I am new to these things. But I do need to learn how to move around them. :)

Found your General forums thread sunkacola! Thank you:) I have printed out your thoughts on how someone can adjust and try to get better. I will continue to keep reading and searching for my sister's health and well being.

Found your General forums thread sunkacola! Thank you:) I have printed out your thoughts on how someone can adjust and try to get better. I will continue to keep reading and searching for my sister's health and well being.
I do wish you the best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back