Not open for further replies.

JanieJane

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2018
Country
UK
Hi, I am new to the forum, had FM for 20 years before finally getting a diagnosis a few years ago. I am well used to the FM stiffness and pain that can move around the body but more recently have had discomfort (not pain) at bottom of right rib cage in same place, now there all the time. I can only describe it as feeling like muscles/tissue have stiffened or swollen. Has anyone else had this type of sensation with FM? Would be interested to know.

Hi JJ, can't exactly remember something directly like this, but does sound fibro-like. Maybe it'll evolve into outright pain if not treated. I'd try heat, careful self-massaging (looking for trigger points round there), arnica complex cream, osteopathy... Could there be any scar tissue there? See the scar-thread. My left clavicle acted up again thru fibro, which I'd broken 14 years ago, often with pain, but also sort of stiff/swollen...

Many thanks for your reply, yes the scar tissue element is good to note - thank you

It is worth getting it checked by your doc as there is a lot of digestive/organ/important stuff in under the rib cage. I find most of my complaints are brushed off, but my doc usually checks those out, even though I’m always pretty sure they’re just muscular. You could also look for muscle knots/trigger points on your back at that level - I find I can have a lot of referred pain that travels from one point to another.

Hi there & Happy New Year,
I have FM/CFS/ME amongst other things 😳.
I had this pain/discomfort in same area. It turned out to be a very large gallstone and I ended up with a gallbladder removal.
Issue was just below my right rib cage, sometimes radiating along the front.
See your gp, who should get you a scan Just to be on safe side.
If course, May not be.
X

Hi JanieJane,
I've had Fibro for 7 years now and I've always had that rib pain you mention. My ribs are very tender to the touch and they ache and feel like they are bruised or something.
My mom also has Fibro and her ribs have always hurt too...

Thank you - that's all helpful x I am in more of a slight discomfort than pain but will monitor it. I will get it checked out but am just a bit wary at the moment because of the hospitals/doctors in crisis mode due to the pandemic. Will hang on a little bit, but will get it checked out - many thanks for all the feedback xx

Hi J,
I agree, avoid going near a hospital etc for now, just not worth the risk. I wouldn’t encourage phone consultations tbh. I’ve had a few and seriously a waste of time, bit of lip service I felt. Unfortunately face to face on medical is very important and almost impossible (rightly so unlike an emergency)right now. X

Thanks for the tip about the phone consults - yes, I did think that it wouldn't do much to help right now. I'll hold on until we see a light at the end of the tunnel and things can start to get to a new normal, whatever that will be. Thanks again for all your tips/advice.

I think I got my first dose of this rib pain a few days ago. My lower back rib feels bruised, but there's no discoloration. It is very sensitive to touch and so are the surrounding muscles. Some movement causes pain.

Yes, it's weird the sensation I have. It varies from feeling I've pulled something, another day it can feel like it is an old bruise on the mend (though no bruise there)... to feeling something is swollen internally - each day there is something slightly different about it... djhsix, as it is new for you I would get it checked out with a doc when you can, just to make sure it is fibro-related.

Yes, it's weird the sensation I have. It varies from feeling I've pulled something, another day it can feel like it is an old bruise on the mend (though no bruise there)... to feeling something is swollen internally - each day there is something slightly different about it... djhsix, as it is new for you I would get it checked out with a doc when you can, just to make sure it is fibro-related.
I scheduled an appointment for Wednesday. I think the pain is near the kidney so definitely a good idea to get it checked out.

Xrays, blood tests, and urinalysis all came back negative. Doctor prescribed me a muscle relaxant.

Let us know if the muscle relaxant helped.

The muscle relaxant doesn't appear to be helping with the rib/muscle pain, but it is helping with the rest of my muscles. My psychiatrist and I are considering switching me over to the cyclobenzaprine and taking me off of the guanfacine since they can't be taken at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back