Cup

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2015
Country
UK
Hiya, just joined. I'm 42 and a bloke.

I was diagnosed in 2015 with fibro. At the time I was going through crap, got addicted to Tramadol then several months later my wife left me for another man, I moved on, had a laminectomy in Oct 2016 as I had a degenerated herniated disc (I'm skipping loads of personal strife just trying to get to my point).

Coming off tramadol was awful, anyway for 25 years I've had a very physical job, working lots of hours, I make kitchens, spray furniture and I've muddled through taking time off when bad. Either phoning in sick or going home early. The last 8 months or so have been harder than usual (not covid related) and physically I'm struggling so much that I've decided to go part time. I'd never mentioned fibro to anybody at work, they knew I had back issues but I didn't want that label of being the guy with a "health condition" (don't know why really).

I told my employer a few weeks ago and he has been brilliant so I've decided to only work 3 days a week in an effort to increase my quality of life, working Tues/Weds/Thurs then having 4 days to recover. I'm a single dad with my 2 oldest children living with me and my 2 youngest live with their mum (I drive a 200 mile round trip to collect them every other Friday and take them back on Sunday, which I was having to do after a work day).

That was just a bit of background on me, I've been miserable for years because of the depression, fatigue and pain and I'm hoping working part time will help. I can't give up work as I'm a worker it's what I do. I'm not no any medication, I kicked mirtazapine about 3 years ago, though I do use CBD but won't be able to afford that going forward.

I was wondering if anyone else on here has a really physical job and how do you cope?
Is it worth claiming PiP?
I already receive some Universal Credit but I need to be able to pay my bills if I'm only doing part time.

Thanks for reading.

I work making wooden offices for home 6 days a week hard going now as 52 yrs old but if I stay at home and rest I find I seize up completely and the pain is much worst than working moving about constantly seems the only way to be I can't win either way try to keep as active as you can

I'd really like to know if anyone in my position has managed to claim PiP, what's the best way of going about it? I've not been to the doctors about the condition since being diagnosed, just been muddling along.

Hi there, i work full time in a pharmacy. I won't tell anyone at work of my condition. I battle through the day on painkillers, I get home and basically can't move till bed time, struggle to sleep then do it all again next day. I've tried part time, its the same. If I stayed at home I think I would end up suicidal from the pain. Work makes me feel like a normal person if that makes sense.

Hi there, i work full time in a pharmacy. I won't tell anyone at work of my condition. I battle through the day on painkillers, I get home and basically can't move till bed time, struggle to sleep then do it all again next day. I've tried part time, its the same. If I stayed at home I think I would end up suicidal from the pain. Work makes me feel like a normal person if that makes sense.
It does make sense.

Work makes me feel like a normal person if that makes sense.
Hmm, so we are all different :-D. -
As I didn't tolerate pain killers at all, I had no choice than to pace, work diligently at getting my pains down, my work down or stop it altogether. I now live a much more self-caring life. Carrying on overdoing after my fibro full-flare hit me Dec19 would make me feel suicidal. Altho I'd made my job into a dream job. But if my body is telling me no, then I accept that, my body is me. If suicidality was the problem I'd go for intense CBT very quickly again.
My rehab-doc recommends keeping a bit of work going to give me a sense of purpose, which he sees as more important than managing to do healthy stuff like sports. I firstly disagree with that - mates of mine do too -, and maybe I should have argued I'd prefer to have more energy for any social life, esp. my grandchild. Have to admit: I don't need much money, none of my passions cost me anything - no car, no hols. I've done more than enough for one lifetime and I'm quite happy not working much. I do feel abnormal that way.
If I had/have to do really physical work I'd only manage 20 minutes max. on good days and would need a few hours or days rest after. I used to love it. And I still love 3 minute stints, after which I don't need to rest - whether cycling full speed on good days, incl. overtaking e-bikes, or carrying something heavy. I really savour the seconds or minutes - that's what happiness is, appreciating the seconds. And that's what fibro hasn't decreased, rather I spose increased, because I don't take it for granted any more....

You sound like you have accepted and dealt with things really well, I however still want more tests from my dr as I am not convinced with the diagnosis. I am however seriously thinking of looking into getting help with the work situation and have accepted that its too much for me to keep going on this way. My son is struggling with depression with this second lockdown which I think is adding to my problems and needing to help him is hard 🤔

I however still want more tests from my dr as I am not convinced with the diagnosis. ... getting help with the work situation .. son is struggling with depression
Oh, if you haven't double-checked everything yet, I'm with you. I did think fibro might be one of the diagnoses, but still carried on getting each symptom looked at. 45+ docs (incl. a centre for rare diseases), 70+ treatments (2x2h/week, 30-60' self-help every day), 30 diagnoses. The first "acceptance" was on a different level and never to me means stopping looking. The 2nd acceptance dawning now is having tried so many things and still hardly being able to work meaning to tone /pace everything I do down to a level where I feel "90%" well. My wife tends to halve my numbers :cool: because she sees how exhausted I look as soon as I do some activity for over an hour despite all my treatments & self-help....

As soon as the problems of somehow else increase my problems, I quickly look for counselling, usually I can help and distance myself, learnt to do it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back