Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
AU
State
Western Australia
Hi there. I have just joined this forum and am finding it very interesting. I've had 35 years of fibro flares and remissions (like now!) with medical investigations showing no cause - apart from episodes of low iron stores and always slightly low white blood cell counts. I have found, as I'm sure many other sufferers have, that mainstream medical professionals can't seem to get their head around this illness, ie. they're non believers. This is why so many of us turn to ''alternative'' practices.
I am wondering if anyone has explored or has been treated for the so called 21st Century Disease - adrenal fatigue? I do believe stress and hormones play a big part in this frustrating disease.....the adrenals being at the forefront of producing essential hormones for health and stress management.
I'm interested to hear what other members have to say on this. Thank you. :lol:
Cheers,
Charlee xx

Hi Charlee, welcome

I think you are right, stress is a big part of this condition. It makes sense to think that the glands that control our stress response may be having issues.

I believe that abnormal stress response is one of the the first concrete differences that researchers identified between fibromyalgia and normal controls. In the research they call it HPA (hypothalamus - pituitary - andrenal) axis dysfunction. It is not clear whether HPA axis dysfunction is a cause for fibromyalgia or just another symptom.

I haven't been treated for adrenal fatigue, but I just checked out what the recommended treatment is - a lot of it sounds like things that seem to work for fibromyalgia - reduce stress, get enough sleep, avoid sugars and highly processed foods, eat lots of whole foods and fruits and vegetables, exercise. A lot of people take fish oil, magnesium and vitamin D and find it helps.

Are you thinking of working with someone to treat adrenal fatigue?

Welcome Charlee....I second everything Dk says. I personally believe being stuck in fight or flight mode too often and for too long causes dysfunction in the HPA AXIS.

From my own experience this then goes on too cause chronic fatigue and fibro. My pain has got much worse as the years have gone by and lots of other symptoms have joined in and then become permanent....and i can pinpoint a stressful event prior to new symptoms.

Looking forward to your points of view and telling us more about yourself.

Hi Charlene, welcome, I'm trying to wrap my head around what has caused the sudden onset of "SEVERE" fibromyalgia, I believe it's a combination of environmental factors, possibly a gene (I get tested next month ; ). stress, no doubt causes huge flares for me. The brain is a muscle too, fibromyalgia seems to pick on our muscles. So naturally stress is just going to break it down further.
Welcome again.

Hi all. Thanks for your replies and welcomes.

I was interested to see if anyone had comments on adrenal fatigue/fibromyalgia connection as I had been told by a naturopath that the fibro symptoms I had were caused by adrenal fatigue, affecting my hormone levels. This was 20 odd years ago and the treatment prescribed was this: (This is scary DK_engineer!)

2 good quality fish oil tabs 3 x day
magnesium/calcium supplements (can't remember dose)
freshly squeezed vegetable juices- carrot/celery/parsley (I added apple), first thing a.m.
Eat wholesome, natural food - small regular meals throughout day
Stay active
Rest when tired
Good sleep
Most importantly - REDUCE STRESS

I was very sceptical - how could this simplistic treatment possibly relieve all the strange symptoms I was having? Well, the medical profession couldn't give me any answers and I'd had every test to rule out all possibilities of disease they could think of; what did I have to lose?

So I followed this regimen.......and it worked! It took around 3 months or so before I started feeling 'normal' again. I felt physically well, which impacted positively on my psychological state - the mind/body connection.

I stayed well for most of the time with relapses or flares happening after prolonged stress or when I pushed myself too hard and didn't take good care of myself. I didn't take the supplements after I became ''well'' - I should have. I'm lucky to not have any underlying health issues that impact fibromyalgia, so I am ABSOLUTELY certain that my flares are caused by physical and emotional stress. The adrenals are the masters of our stress hormones and impact on other hormone producing organs which can cause imbalances in our body.

It was very interesting to read DK_engineer's research on adrenal fatigue. The symptoms and treatments for adrenal fatigue and fibro are almost identical. My prescribed treatment for adrenal fatigue was 20 odd years ago - could it be that adrenal fatigue/fibro is the same condition??

Anyway, I am going back to the same treatment that worked for me before. Hopefully I can post a successful outcome. Here's to the good days for us all!

Cheers,
Charlee xx

I too was treated for adrenal fatigue about 8 years ago, I started back on the regimen (similar to yours) about a year ago, I still went down, but I was in a constant state of fight or flight and couldn't do either. I have not been Juicing in quite awhile, you've reminded how much that helps.
Have you considered visiting a naturopath to get any up to date protocols?
Please keep us posted on how this does for you.

Hello! I'm so glad I found this thread. I'm new--well, apparently I found this site two years ago, but I forgot and just found it again an hour ago!
I've got a few doctors on my payroll, wink wink, and they all say different things about Fibro. One says it's a "connective-tissue disorder." Another claims it is a hypersensitive neurological response. Another says it's a long, long, long-term depression. Some seem to think that they will offer treatment and I should "be better" or get my "act together" by the spring, etc. Others tell me it is going to take lots and lots of time. I'm so confused, but it helps to read what real people have to say in relation to their experience. So, what can you share that will help in understanding this disease?
Thank you!

Hi Charlee! I just read a really good article on the following website thyroiduk.org.uk. I know the UK has researched Chronic pain and Fibro more extensively but the article I read was written by Dr. John Lowe how has since passed away. It made a little more sense to mebut then again I did diagnose myself and my Dr. agreed with me after 3 months of tests LOL.
I hope you enjoy the website.

Take Care!

Ange

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back