Not open for further replies.

chrismorganlv

Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
Nevada
Recently, the past two-three weeks have been horrible with body aches and feeling sleepy. I've been sleeping most of the days away and when I awake my body feels as if I ran a marathon the day before. I don't know what to do... Is it possible to have these symptoms this young? I'm 16 year old - male. My mother has been diagnosed with fibromyalgia last year and now I'm wondering if I may have it too.. I don't know what to do and I'm in very bad pain.

I just need some advice. Thank you.

Well, I'm 26 and have it. I don't think age has a lot to do with it, so I would say it's very possible you have it. I don't know if it's been confirmed that fibromyalgia is hereditary, but a few of my doctors say they think it is. You'll find that doctors really don't understand fibromyalgia, and getting answers can be really difficult.

However, it is possible that you're just growing and hormones are acting up throughout your body. It's also possible that you have Lyme Disease - have you been bitten by a mosquito or tick recently? It's certainly worth getting testing done, which normally just involves giving samples of your blood. Besides, you'll need plenty of tests to come back normal before doctors will consider diagnosing you with fibromyalgia.

For now, take hot baths to help with pain and try to get extra sleep. Cut all sugar and artificial sweeteners out of your diet for a while and drink lots and lots of water. Give your body a break from non-nutritious food so it has a chance to heal. Also, I've found that a Tens Unit can help with pain, temporarily. I found one for $40 on sale. They send electric shocks through pads you stick to your body where you hurt, and the electricity prevents the nerves from telling the brain you're in pain. There's no side effects, and you can use it whenever you want wherever you want on your body.

Thank you very much for the advice. I don't believe I have Lyme disease because I live in Las Vegas where it's very dry here and we hardly ever see mosquitoes.

Also, I will try the hot baths and look into the Tens unit.

It is possible that you have Fibromyalgia as it can develop at any age. Family studies have shown that the odds of having it are more likely if an immediate family member has/had it than in families in which no one does. Judging by studies you're more likely to develop it than you would have been if no one in your family had been diagnosed, but by no means does it guarantee that you will develop it.

The symptoms that you mentioned are associated with Fibromyalgia but they are also commonly associated with many other ailments so the only way to know for sure that you have it is to get a proper diagnosis. In the meantime you might try some of these to relieve your pain.

-Although you may feel stiff and sore it is said that exercise helps a great deal and gives you energy as well. Make sure its gentle exercises, start slow and stretch!

-Massage has been said to help with muscle soreness.

-Taking warm showers and soaking in a nice hot bath will also help relieve pain. Even using a warm rag or a heating pad can be of help.

-Don't let yourself become overwhelmed, stress tends to make things worse!

-Some studies suggest that certain over the-counter herbs and supplements can help relieve fibromyalgia symptoms, although not everyone agrees.

-A healthy diet is also very important.

Hi Chris! Is very likely you might have it :( I'm 26 and started to experience symptoms since I was around your age. I never paid a lot attention, because the pain would just come and then go, but it didn't last that long. My pain has gotten worse, but not much :) The pain never lasts for too long. You should consult with a rheumi tho, also a neurologist! There are a lot pains that are caused but other diseases, not necessarily fibro. Also be careful if you ever get the diagnosis and they try to put you on a lot meds! Always research the meds they give you on the net... some of them have really nasty side effects.

Have you checked with your Mom and determined how she was diagnosed? Instead of questioning it, why not confirm it? Age is not an issues, I was diagnosed at the age of 10. I did the pressure point test and had all 18 triggers. This is how they determined that I had fibromyalgia. You'll need to experiment to determine what works best for the pain for you. Personally, I find that stretching through the pain helps me a lot. If I stay still, lying in bed or sitting in a chair all day, then I just get worse.

I have heard of other teenagers having Fibro. It is possible. Start documenting your symptoms and concerns. Talk to your parents. They can help you see a doctor about this to get things sorted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back