Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2008
Country
US
State
DC
Hello everyone I am new to the group and I found you all online because Sunday I had another flare up and it's going on Tuesday and the pain is honestly excruciating. I was diagnosed in 2008 with Fibromyalgia and it comes and goes but when it comes it comes hard and painful. I can't walk, I hop around. In the morning it's worst for me. I am a Navy vet and I have been to the VA in DC and didn't get the help I needed, I got shoe supports, really? I need advice from you all on medications I should get, treatment, surgery etc. because I can't keep living like this.

Sincerely and Thankfully,

Navy Fibromyalgia

Hi there, I'm new to the forum and new to Fibromyalgia (only diagnosed 2 weeks ago).

Sorry, I'm afraid I can't advise on medication suggestions etc as I'm from the UK but here I was put on medication within a week of diagnosis (through our national health service) I have been taking Pregabalin (Lyrica) and not noticed any difference....yet! (don't know if it's available in US) I have to double my dose next week so it must take time to get into the system.

I too find I can be at my worst in the morning, can't even lift my head off the pillow sometimes. As for treatments, well I'm about to start Physiotherapy. I've also heard hydrotherapy can be helpful (not tried that yet) & see an Osteopath (on & off). From what I know about Fibro there isn't a solution surgery wise, I was told by the neurologist it's a life long condition and a matter of trial & error with medications, treatment etc. I have to go for an MRI of my head and cervical spine next month.

Sorry I can't help you, not knowing what's available there. I just thought I'd share my story with you. I am shocked that the Navy has not helped you.

Welcome .there no op u can have to get rid of fibro.as far as mess we are all having different things. I'm on tramadol and paracetamol .and amitripolyn at night to help me sleep.
Your really need to talk to your gp.
Read as much as u can ,and learn what u can and can't do. I'm sorry to tell you this isn't going away.you have to come to terms with it first. And that hard .ppl spend months thinking there a cure somewhere , but as yet there's not.
Why don't u start by telling us what pain u have and where ,do u sleep well?.
Do u take any mess at all.?.

HI and welcome DC Fibromyalgia....it is so hard to get your head around this illness. I don'tt know what the VA is. Is it a hospital? We English don't always understand American terminology..sorry.

A larger variety of meds seem a lot more widely available in the US from what i have grasped from this forum.

Please share or ask anything. If you read around the forum you will read lots about medicines and treatments and how effective different people find them.

We are all so individual with our symptoms and pain levels and response to medications.

There is no miracle cure that we all search and hope for at the beginning.

Its more a case of modifying your lifestyle to keep your health as good as possible. Maybe reducing your working hours...more time to relax and take gentle exercise and walks....eat well, keep weight down, and trying to reduce stress and get sleep all helps.

Best Wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back