Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2012
Country
CA
State
ON
I never thought in a million years that I would be asking for finacial help. But hear I am.:-( So I picked up a Disability form and filled it out with my Doctor. I just want to know from everybody what to exspect now.

Are you talking about SSDI? When I applied I filled out tons of info on line and waited and prayed. It wasn't just getting a form from the doctor so not sure where you are in the process. I will say that although I lucked out and was approved the first time, my friends who used attorneys got a lot more back pay, so now I always encourage people to use attorneys when applying for disability. They are FREE to use and only collect if you win - then they take a portion of the back pay if I remember correctly.

One thing that I would say is that you should not be too upset if you are denied it at first. There are many people who I know that have had to appeal a decision, and they have gone through a long journey before eventually being given the money that they asked for in the first place. Don't worry about applying for it though, that's what it's there for, to help people like you who have no other option. You are doing the right thing, and people will understand.

I really like your way of expressing the opinion and sharing the information.

Well I have wanted to apply for disability as well. I have been looking for work for the last 4 years and I am too over qualified for some jobs and under qualified for others. Recently I have been getting worse in my physical conditions. I still want to work, but now I think I may have to happy for some financial help. I was receiving unemployment for a while, but since the cut off of that a while back, my husband can not bear the burden on his own anymore. Several of my friends have applied for disability, either for themselves or their children. They were denied several times and had to appeal. One even took 3 appeals before approval. Its a waiting game. I believe they made the requirements harder to get disability since there are so many people receiving it. If you apply, good luck! Don't give up on the first time, I think the key is being persistent.

Hi, I live in Ontario as well. I have a am on a medical retirement and receiving long term disability. I have been very lucky in that way.
You are talking about disability from the province... You need to be very very persistent. I know for a fact that they will turn you down the first time. You may have to (what is the word.... brain fog....) of yes, appeal. DO SO! don't be intimidated. Get as much back up as you can from as many doctor's as you can. Rheumatologists, neurologists, family doctor, anyone. keep adding to the file and that will help so much!
Let me know how you do! I wish you the best of luck!

My advice is to use an attorney. As another forum member stated, the lawyers only collect if you win. I took an online internet survey about SSDI and received a letter from an out of state attorney. He did have privileges in my state. I was denied twice (yet I have 9 diagnoses that qualify), and now waiting for the appeal hearing with a judge. Well, I took the time and looked at my denials, only to discover that the law firm did not send half the information needed to make a decision. It listed doctors' names, then said "documents not received". Of course I got denied! I opted to fire that attorney and get one local in my state. You have to be careful though because you sign a "fee agreement" with an attorney. In my case, the original lawyer did not waive his fee, but I was fortunate because my NEW attorney accepted what was left over. (I guess they have to spit it). It's been 2 years now and I'm hoping the hearing is soon because I, too, haven't worked for 2 years. Its hard when they tell you NOT to work, but now the money is fading fast. Good luck and keep reapplying .

One thing that I would say is that you should not be too upset if you are denied it at first. There are many people who I know that have had to appeal a decision, and they have gone through a long journey before eventually being given the money that they asked for in the first place. Don't worry about applying for it though, that's what it's there for, to help people like you who have no other option. You are doing the right thing, and people will understand.

I think the same thing. I advise you not to worry, not negative, always think positively. Because you took the first step, you must wait and have faith. A friend had your same concerns, but he got it. Similarly there are many people who have been lucky, you will be one more. Luck.

Thank you so much for all you advise, What am I going to do about going in front of a judge? I have trouble with words because of Fibro fog, I'm scared about talking to a judge. That is going to be very intimidating.

Very encouraging this discussion. I am in the process of ssi benefits. I am in a financial whole becUse of not being able to work.

So sorry to hear that Teresa66, I know the feeling, it's bad enough having this illness, but to have Financial heart ach on top of that is really depressing. Teresa66 your not alone I wish you the best of luck!

If you have the illness I think you have the right to the financial help, I see no problem in that at all, it's the time for the state to give you support.

That is what I wanted to say, it is much better to use a lawyer, than going at it all alone.

Did you get a letter saying you'd have to go before a judge or were you just thinking you might have to?

In some cases they do that when they don't feel they have enough proof in your medical records and don't want to deny you because they feel there is more evidence if they gave you more time to provide it, but sometimes they just make the decision and send you a letter telling you the determination. If you have to appeal a turn-down then you have to go to court, but you might get it on the first try as long as you show a direct correlation between your disease and your inability to work. It also helps if your doctor is willing to back up you statements. I have known people who did a great job showing how their symptoms caused them to be unable to work, but they had a doctor who felt uncomfortable vouching for them on the more intangible symptoms like pain and fatigue, and those people had to do one of two things.

1) Have a long talk with their doctor so that he or she fully understood just how severe their symptoms were.

2) Or, if that didn't help, then they had to find another doctor who understood the disease more fully and was more familiar with the process of applying for Disability.

When filling out a questionnaire be sure to think carefully about any of these instances and include details;

1) Have you ever been fired from a job related to your disease?, and explain, elaborate on how it was related.

2) Have you had to call in sick more than the average person?, and go into why, what symptoms you were having.

3) Have you had to leave work early because of your Fibromyalgia, and what symptoms made you have to stop work that day (or days)?

4) Has your fibromyalgia restricted your overall activity? Do you have to lie down more? Can you not sit or stand for long periods?

5) Has pain, brain fog, and/or fatigue made working on a consistent basis (8 hours a day, 40 hours a week, long-term) impossible because your disease makes you unable to concentrate and/or finish tasks?

If you have anyone in your life who has witnessed any of this, have them write a letter on your behalf and provide it to Social Security. If it's a past supervisor, then that is even better. If any of this is in the doctor's notes that will help as well.

Thank you so much for your advise, I haven't heard anything yet from them. But Ive been told it can take a while before they reach a decision. It's been approx a month since I filed for disability. I just have to keep my fingers crossed. Will I get a letter from them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back