Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2010
Country
US
State
Ca
I Use to drink daily because of my pain and it would help my pain for a while I would like to research how alcohol helps pain and why it worked so well I know it has to do with working on the nerves. Does anyone have opinions ? And has alcohol worked for anyone else better than meds ?

I drink less since my diagnosis. I just don't want to drink much these days.

I've read a few studies on this lately... One controversial study from University of Aberdeen showed a correlation between moderate to heavy drinking and less disability due to chronic pain. There is a good article about it on webMD. Another study by Mayo clinic correlated moderate drinking to better outcomes than heavy drinking or no drinking.

Correlation is not causation though, do you have to be careful interpreting studies like this.

Personally, I prefer to drink wine than to take hydrocodone. I figure it's more natural, healthier, and I'm so sick of taking pills (I KNOW you guys understand!). However, if the pain is very bad it would take way too much alcohol to even touch it. So, pass out from drink, or curl up with a hot pad and a couple hydrocodone? I opt for the latter in this case. But I do believe that alcohol helps me on the not so bad days because it relaxes my muscles and helps me relax. Plus, its enjoyable. Unlike taking another pill!

I am becoming increasingly intolerant of alcohol. I don't know if it is because of my meds, or my disease, but wine gives me a vicious headache, and beer is beginning to gave the same effect.this makes me sad - I love a good craft beer, of a nice crisp white.

Wine does relieve some of the pain, but as CindyKay said, I can get a whopper sinus and headache. Different types of wine cause more facial pain I've noticed. If I could only remember which bottles didn't give me this reaction I would fair better LOL darn fibrofog!

If alcohol works for me and its working on the nerves wouldn't something like Gabapentin work since it's a nerve pain med ?

CindyKay,
I love to drink. My husband makes his own beer and its usually pretty darn good. However, over the last year I have become more intolerant of alcohol. I tried switching to wine and that was okay for awhile. Then I tried a hard cider - yummy. Another time I tried a mixed drink. It doesn't matter what type of alcohol or how much of it I take, I am in terrible pain for a couple of days and also sleep all day for a couple of days too.

Devilstompa,
I take Gabapentin and it does help. I certainly wouldn't want to go without it. I take 600 mg every night. Its extended release. Sometimes I can't get to sleep so I take an extra 300mg Gabapentin and smoke a doob. That usually dulls the pain enough to help me fall asleep.

I want to amend my answer. I had a very long, very stressful day at work today. About half way through I developed terrible pain in my back and glutes. After I got home I had a beer and a whiskey. Definitely alleviated the pain. Not a long term strategy though, as I am a lightweight.

DK,
Nope. Not a good strategy. Please keep looking for a better, safer, non-addictive way to alleviate your pain. :)

Alcohol has a numbing effect but it wears off quickly and I think it is not a good strategy because it has so many side effects. And it is highly addictive. Use with caution! Just like you would any pain medication.

Once in a while I would "indulge" and I wouldn't feel the pain and was very happy about that but overall, I find I drink less. It makes me feel worse if I have more than one glass. Having a glass of red wine or two was pleasurable but now that is even being taken away from me.

I'm not a drinker. Maybe once or twice a year.
Every time I have a drink I just get hot and my face burns . I don't miss it really .im fat enough as it is lol.

Alcohol is not the answer to your pain. Having had Fibro for many years now, I can tell you it's not a long term solution. I am on Cymbalta, which does help my pain a lot. I have recently started taking magnesium oxide, B12, B6, D3 and 5-HTP. These supplements have made a HUGE difference in my pain. You need to look at yourself, your diet, your sleeping patterns and your stress level. I also now take a sleeping pill every night. It's the best sleep I have ever had. Don't let Fibro control you and using alcohol is letting it win. Find what healthy ways you can control it and get your life back. Good luck.

Hi, I'm a new member. I drink a glass of wine (or max 2) almost every day with my dinner. I agree that it is the best time of the day for me personally. Having been on a prescribed medication for relaxation and sleep, I would much rather drink a glass of wine than be a on a drug for sleep. There is no sleep med on the market that isn't highly addictive. I don't believe that my one glass of wine will ever escalate, so I am very comfortable with my choice.
Just briefly want to add that I too take many supplements including: B-Complex, B12, Vit D3, Serrapeptase, acetyl l carnitine, cal/mag and extra magnesium, NAC, tons of omega 3's, ubiquinol, alpha lipoid acid, turmeric, and ashwaganda, l'theanine, relora,

I'm taking the same supplements as Paris with an added tincture for hormone balancing and a tincture for the adrenals. Alcohol just masks the pain and makes me more anxious. I'm trying to get a handle on the anxiety without taking prescription drugs. That's why I'm trying the CBD capsules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back