Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2011
Country
US
State
SC
I don't have a lot of time, but I have been wanting to post this for a long time, well as long as I have joined the forum and saw the Alternative Medicines/Therapies topic.

For several months after I was diagnosed with Fibro. I completely relied on the pills I was given by my doctor. And of course, some days, they did not do jack squat. I have a wonderful friend who has been there for me through it all, and she did some research on alternative stuff. What she found astounded me... and kind of grossed me out.

Just like a pool, spa, or hot tub, our bodies have different alkalinity levels based on what we eat. Now, I know that most of us cannot afford to eat "high on the hog" because we are either unemployed, on disability, or trying to get there. But if you can "google" alkaline diet, and find a way to get the foods you need, you will be amazed after the first two weeks.

I won't lie. The first two weeks are hell. Your body is basically detoxing, and it is not fun at all. But after that, my symptoms virtually disappeared. And my flare ups felt like the daily pain I had prior to starting the diet. The good thing about it is, the people "in the know" encourage you to have a cheat day once a week. But after a while of being on the diet, you will feel less and less like you need that cheat day. If I had the money to get back on this diet, I would and I would stay on it for the rest of my life. If anyone tries it and it works for you, please let me know. I would love to think someone benefited from it. Hope you all are having a good day!

Thanks for sharing!

Yes, we are what we eat. If we eat too high of an acid diet, we will be acidic, and our body will break down a lot faster and cause pain. If we eat nothing but processed junk food, which is all acidic, we'll have no nutrients to build up our body with. Our body is supposed to be full of nutrients in order to be healthy.

What really bothers me is when sick people claim they can't afford healthy food, yet they spend thousands of dollars on doctors who aren't really helping them. For some reason, people don't seem to understand that food is the foundation of our health. If we eat what our bodies need, we won't get sick. If we don't, then we do get sick. Right now, I'm spending about a $600 a month on organic food (grain, diary, sugar, and starch free foods) for my husband and I, and a few hundred each month on my naturopath's supplements and care. I'm not seeing any medical doctors and am not taking meds. I AM improving. It's a slow process, but my fibro pain is minimal at the most. My endometriosis is slowly less painful each month (compared to the very low success rate of surgery for endometriosis, this is awesome!) I'm getting out of bed and living each day, whereas last November I hardly had the will to live because I had no energy and was in so much pain.

Food is critical to health! It's the most important part of health! I wish people would give eating organic and un-processed a try.

It is great to know that the alkaline diet is working for you. I have been at the library studying and look for ways just to sustain overall health. And, I have come to the conclusion that natural just works. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for responding, Siderea. I know what you mean about people who claim they can't afford organic food, raw vitamins, or expensive juicers. My family all live out of state, my son lives with his dad (because of all the complications of having fibro), and I could not move so far away to be with my family because it means I could be close to my son. But my family gets together at Christmas, and give gifts. I asked for gift cards to the stores in my area that had the best and largest organic section. I cut out a lot of things, like sodas, chips, and stopping at fast food places for lunch or dinner. I got mid-priced juicer at a Black Friday sale. And by watching every penny, I was able to stay on the diet for a long time.

But, as they say, life got in the way. One thing led to another. New tires for my vehicle, a new battery for my vehicle, extra test strips for my son that the insurance company did not pay for (he was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when he was 4), and then the biggest kicker of them all, when I unable to work anymore. No savings, no job, no ability for unemployment, and NO money. I have applied for assistance through the pharmaceutical companies for my meds, have a sliding scale with other meds and my doctor's office, and the BEST best friend anyone could ever have. She has opened her home to me, paid for my meds, and helped in a thousand other ways.

Anyway, I didn't mean to turn this post into a transcript for old school Oprah. lol Thanks again for your response.

I've heard of people drinking alkaline water but not necessarily eating an alkaline diet. I eat meat throughout the day. Meat is low in alkaline and high in acid. Fruits and vegetables are have a higher ph level than meat. So. that means fruits and veggies are high in alkaline. I better eat more of that food group.

Painismylife - ugh, what a mess for you. Your friend is awesome, though! I do understand people in your situation being forced to live on whatever food they can. I didn't mean to sound judgmental in my statement. I also can't work because of my condition, but I'm married to the best man I could ever wish for who works very hard to support us. So my inability to get on disability hasn't been as devastating as it is for other people who can't work. I'm in a position where I'm able to eat a more expensive, but healing diet. I am healing and getting better, and I do have hope that I'll return to work someday. So I know diet controls health, but I also understand that when you have no ability to make money, you're lucky to just have food at all.

Allison, conventional meat is very acidic, but grass-fed red meat is only slightly acidic. Huge difference in the composition of the meat based on what the cow ate! And not all vegetables are alkaline. I personally eat asparagus every single day. It's the most alkaline vegetable, I can digest it without pain, and it compliments my grass-fed steak really well.

This is interesting, I've actually never heard of this. And I've heard of ALL the diets there are (or so I thought). First off, thanks for sharing. I might try this out and see if it helps.

hansenlaw, it really does work! As someone who has been on it and off it, the difference is incredible. "You are what you eat" is a truer statement than we have ever known!

Siderea, I did not think you were being judgemental at all. And I am lucky to just have any food. I too hope to work again someday and be able to get back on this diet. And I am so glad you are getting better! When it comes to this condition, these symptoms, anything positive is always great to hear.

Allison, alkaline water is awesome! I used to drink Essentia. I've never liked to drink water, but the alkaline water just tastes so great. It is not sold in stores around me, but you can buy it online. At Amazon, if you are part of their "Prime" program, it ships in two days for free. And you can also get all kinds of really great alkaline and raw food vitamins from Amazon.

Everyone, this diet is not a trend, not a fad, and I have not even heard of very many people talking about it, except a few people online in their blogs and stuff. I have books I would be happy to lend out to anyone in the US, if you promise to send them back to me. I have recipe books, alkaline books, a book called The Fibromyalgia Diet, that is very close the alkaline diet, and a book that lists hundreds, maybe even thousands of food and drink items and where they rank in alkalinity. You can message me, or if you catch me online, chat with me on my yahoo! messenger. I want as many people as is possible to feel better. If I can't do this diet right now to feel better in my body, at least my spirits would get a lift knowing that in some small way I may have helped a person with fibro have less pain. Hope everyone has a good night and a great day tomorrow!

paininmylife - could you possible provide any readings on this type of diet that I could delve into?

edit: I meant online readings...or even names of books. I just wan to look into it more

Last edited:
LABiker- sorry it has been several days since I have been on the site.

Okay, these are some of the books I have read: The Fibromyalgia Cookbook, the one with the copyright in 2010, The Healthy Green Drink Diet, Acid Alkaline Food Guide, The PH Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health and Conscious Eating. The last one kind of brings it all full circle. It tells us that there is no such thing as "one diet fits all." It talks about how you have personalize your diet and make it fit your body and its needs and realize that because everyone is different, not everyone can eat the same way. The author also delves into the emotional side of food, how some foods will change our mood- for better or for worse- and how there is a reason our body craves certain things.

There is also a blog called The Alkaline Sisters, and a website that starts with AcidAlkalineDiet, and well, you know the rest. :) I don't want to break any rules of this site, as I have already come to care for and respect many people who frequent here, and the ever vigilant and extremely helpful moderator, 1sweed. So, if my reply gets edited, LABiker, you can message me, and I can give you addresses of some sites I have frequented. Again, I apologize for not answering right away. I have just been "having it rough" the last several days. Hope this helps.

Yes. The more fruits and veggies the better. I would love to stop eating meat entirely..

Thank you so much painismylife for the detailed reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back