Not open for further replies.

Mbuechel

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/1998
Country
US
I was diagnosed with fibro about 30 years ago, but never really took it seriously until the past few years. In fact, we have been conditioned for so long that it wasn’t “real” I believed it was just a crutch diagnosis. A few years ago I had a rheumatologist diagnose it again.

I have been seeing physical therapy for a knee replacement and calf pain. When he pokes on different areas, trying to determine points of origin, etc, it hurts a lot. I asked him if that was normal and he said no. That was shocking to me. I assumed everyone had been pushing too hard this entire time! Is this common with others? 🤯

Hi Mbuechel - I think I misunderstood you on first reading, so correct me if I'm still wrong:
When he pokes on different areas, trying to determine points of origin, etc, it hurts a lot. I asked him if that was normal and he said no. That was shocking to me. I assumed everyone had been pushing too hard this entire time! Is this common with others?
With "everyone had been pushing" you don't mean fibromites pushing thru pain not realizing that it's not normal to have pain,
you mean you thought docs and PTs had hurt when poking your body because they were doing that in too hard a way?
Whatever tho: Yes, both types of "pushing too hard" in the sense of misjudging our pain level is common!
However your thread-name "allodynia" maybe doesn't quite fit to that, because it means pain from stroking etc., not "pushing".
So I'm not sure if hyperalgesia might not be the more fitting term?
However what you're describing (prodding/poking/pushing) reminds me of trigger points and tender points.
Some might call these forms of hyperalgesia, but I don't feel I ever had any hyperalgesia, but still had both:
constant trigger points relating to local pains there or elsewhere, and tender points which just hurt as part of my overall Ache,
so hurt less when I've overdone it less. (Come to think of it, that idea might explain why tender points aren't reliable...?)
Before & during my year of acupressure treatment I had seemingly hundreds of trigger points all over my body. And I'd think we all have.
Now I treat any that crop up immediately with self-applied acupressure, stretches & massage gun, before anything builds up.

Your physiotherapist sounds good from this first impression...? Which'd mean he'd be good for treating you all over? Is he gentle tho?

Last edited:
Most of the time, if I (or anyone) presses anywhere on my body, it hurts and feels like a bruise would. For me, it's almost all of the time. Legs, arms, shoulders, hips, lower back, and ribs/sternum are the worst. My face usually doesn't hurt, but everything else does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back