Status
Not open for further replies.
Ben,
Thanks for all your comments. I am allergic to honey, as well as, soy products, so they are off my list. I did make a small batch of Seitan, this weekend and it is so good. If your trouble with glutin, then you can't made this recipe for it is made from vital wheat glutin. And being total protein I would not eat it all the time as many vegans do, but enjoyed making it and liked the flavor and texture.

I was using amish butter, but I have cut back on my use of it for now. And I am mostly using raw stevia for sweetner.

Just have to keep plugging away with hopes that my next bloodwork shows some improvements. :)

Oh wow, being allergic to honey would be rough for me, but raw stevia is a great way to go :) Before, I didn't even consider honey because sugar just seemed easier, but I love it now that I keep it around. Sugar is fine too though as long as it's raw. The more I have read about the damage that many artificial sweeteners and refined, GM foods do, the more I am requiring these totally natural choices in the foods I buy. They use fake junk, they don't get my money. Even then you have to be a constant label-reader and must even be able to read between the lines. Many food manufacturers try clever ways of relabeling products so that you don't see what's really in them. And of course, moderation in all things as far as sweets go lol.

I have never heard of Seitan. Had you ever had it before? Does the gluten seem to agree with you?

Surprizingly, I was able to eat this meat substitute with no problems. I will share the recipe in the off topic section. It is very good and tender, and looks like meat. You can cook it in the oven or boil it in broth. The recipe takes a bit of time to get it ready because after you mix the first ingredients you have to knead it with your hands for quite a while, then let it sit covered for a bit, then knead a bit more. I worked out the recipe so it would taste like chicken, but you can season and flavor it anyway that suits your taste.

You can go on-line search and type in Seitan, and read about it. Or go to youtube and type it in and watch it being made. It is different but worth making if your not allergic to wheat flour or wheat gluten. Can be served in a sandwich or with gravy, or as is when done.

I love trying new recipies, that might be good for me and my health. :)

Last edited:
Sounds interesting. Honestly I've never even tried a meat substitute like seitan, tofu or anything else that I know of. They probably are quite tasty, I just have never found the idea appealing lol. I know a lot of people really like them though. The reason I was curious was because wheat gluten can be fairly allergenic.

In all honesty, I would try it to see how it tasted, but now I've read too much about GMO wheat, corn, soy and others to try to go that route. It's almost impossible to find the non-GMO variants as well. I'm looking to replace the meat I consume with as much game meat and truly naturally raised beef and bison and the like. There are so many antibiotics and steroids injected into livestock that I'm moving away from those as well. I have family in the livestock and poultry business and I don't like what I see...

The fact is, people have health issues because of what they eat everyday more than any other factor. Next on that list would be the prescription meds they take.

I plan to pay much closer attention than I used to to the former, and totally avoid the latter as far as is reasonably possible.

The best you can do in avoiding GMO products is to get these type of food ingredients from natural companies that are fighting against GMO's.
I ordered my vital wheat gluten from a company in OR. I was unable to find everything I needed at local health food stores. I am not sure if wheat gluten is so bad or if we are only being told that by the media. If your allergic or unable to eat it because of a health condition then avoid it. But if not and you can eat wheat bread then try it before deciding it won't work for you.

Protein comes from many sources and this Seitan is just one of many, and could be a life saver in an emergency. I eat lots of different meat products like wild game and fish. If we avoid all foods we won't have much to eat, and I prefer the natural to manmade any day.

I agree that for many people there problems stem from medications, but some of us need our medications to live a safe and happy life. It is kind of a catch twenty-two, you need it to control a illness, but the side affects can mess you up as well. Some things are a necessity and others can be done without.

I will get the recipe up and you can try it. I like it and will make it again. It can be favored to be anything you want it to taste like. I used chicken seasonings but beef or pork, or ham would be just as good. :)

Good on you for being aware then. Seeking out those companies that are providing the real deal is hard but worth it. And indeed you are right, often we have to take what we hear with a grain of salt.

I may get a notion to sample your seitan one of these days. I'll try anything once :)

I think that garlic is one of the foods that is supposed to lower the bad cholesterol, and also virgin coconut oil is supposed to help with this , from what i have read. I seem to do better when i don't use sugar or eat sugary/floury foods. I can always tell the difference when i have sweets, or even just floury carbs to eat, and as long as I keep these to a minimum, and enjoy fresh fruits when I want something sweet for a treat.

For high cholesterol I used NON FLUSHING Niacin, and watched my diet (lower fat, not non fat, lots of healthy fruits, veggies (peppers and mushrooms have some great nutritional benefits), nuts (I avoid peanuts as they don't provide as many benefits as walnuts or almonds) beans and whole grains, lean meats, and 'good' fish etc) , and it brought my numbers back down into a more normal range. I could not use statins (I used Lipitor for two weeks) without severe pain in my thigh muscles. My doctor suggested the Niacin, and was very specific about it being the NON FLUSHING kind (it states it on the label) because Niacin can cause sometimes severe flushing on your face that looks like you are constantly blushing or sunburned. It took a few months, but it worked.

For breakfast I usually eat oatmeal (steel cut), with flax seed (great for cholesterol) and fresh (I freeze them after picking so I have them year round) berries. I use butter or coconut oil in small amounts, instead of margarine or butter substitutes. In baking I use apple sauce in place of oil, and if able to I use oat flour instead of white bleached flour. There are many things you can do that will cut unhealthy fats from your diet that will increase your good cholesterol, without giving up taste and quality. I have found that the closer I can eat to 'natural' foods the better I feel. I try to buy my meat and vegetables from local markets, and avoid as much processed, or food substitutes, as possible. I also realized portion size mattered a lot more than what I ate in many cases. If your portions are about the size of your palm or slightly smaller, even 'unhealthy' choices aren't as bad for you if you want to indulge once in a while as a treat.

hi mysticmoon
what mg amount of non flushing niacin do you take?
have a problem with statin muscle pain too, presently taking 20mg daily of pravastatin which is tolerable, tho haven't gotten the lipid panel results yet.
is your diet alleviating any fibro pain?

MysticMoon,
Thank you for all your wonderful suggestions. I will look into using the non-flushing niacin. I have already included most of the food items into my diet and have found by eatting natural fresh fruits and veggies, along with low-fat meats and oils, I am not craving sweets or the wrong foods all the time.

Tonight I cooked up mushrooms and onions, and red pepper in olive oil and topped a small baked potato with the mixture. It was so good and my kitchen still smells like cooked mushrooms. I am looking into some type of detox as well and wonder if you have ever done this for improvement of health.

Also edetic1, How have you faired on the drug pravastatin? Every single statin I take causes severe muscle pain and I have had to stop taking them. I can not even stand low dose (5mg) without severe pain. Was wondering if you have had problems with other statins? :)

**I am not a medical professional, so before taking Niacin people should discuss it with their doctor, and research it to see if it would benefit them.**

With that said, I was taking 3 grams of Niacin, split into three doses daily. You should take it with food to avoid stomach upset, and for some people taking it with one adult dose aspirin can help with any flushing of the skin, if it is problematic. (Non flushing definitely helps, but some people do still have flushing issues with it)

As for diet alleviating my Fibro symptoms, unfortunately nothing has made much of a difference. (I ate healthy before being diagnosed) I do notice if I consume too much sugar (or foods that convert into sugar in the body, like simple starches/carbs) my inflammation can be worse. I have tried every diet suggested for fibro, from gluten free, vegetarian, and numerous others, and none provided substantial enough relief for me to stop taking pain medications. Now I just maintain a healthy diet, and take my pain medications so that I can function as normally as possible (which is about 50% of my former levels). The healthy diet basically keeps me from feeling worse, and to stay healthy enough to fight through the pain.

I didn't give up, so much as I realized I was putting myself through various forms of torture to try to get off of pain medications, and I often ended up feeling worse in the end. However, I do encourage people to try different things, because for some people a gluten free diet can really help. For others cutting out simple sugars will bring relief. They just didn't for me. I do not regret trying various diets, herbs, supplements, etc because I know that I tried to do something to help myself.

Another suggestion for people with fibro, or chronic pain is to get their vitamin D levels checked. If your vitamin D is low it can add to all of the symptoms of fibro; pain, depression, fatigue, memory issues, etc. If your levels are low, 1000-2000 mgs daily, especially during the winter, may help to raise them back up. Talk to your doctor, as some people need a much higher dose (I take 4000 mgs daily year round with 50,000 mg weekly boosts, as needed, under dr supervision.). If you take a Vitamin D supplement make sure to take it with magnesium and calcium, otherwise it will not absorb efficiently. You can (usually) get enough Mag/Cal from simply chewing a couple of Tums when you take the vitamin D.

Thyroid levels should also be checked. There are several studies that have been done, and several are in progress, about a correlation between FMS and Thyroid issues, but none have confirmed a definite correlation without other factors being involved. (I am tired and trying to word that so that I don't sound like a medical text. So I hope it made sense)

There are many helpful books available for chronic pain, and fibro, and I would suggest reading a variety of them. While they may not help with the pain, they definitely help with the understanding of what the body/mind goes through. They are also beneficial in knowing what to talk to your doctor about, and how to explain to friends and family members what is going on in your body other than "I hurt all over". I have a mini library of books about fibro, and each book has provided me with something useful. (I would suggest titles, but it is 4 a.m. and I don't have the books sitting in front of me. I can suggest titles if anyone is interested later.)

I wish everyone luck on their journey. Please, don't give up! It may take time and effort, but there is something that will help. Stay determined, and figure out what works best for you. I had many days I wanted to quit, but I kept fighting for my life back...and though I may not have it completely back, I have enough of it to be content. I realized I would never be who I once was, and over time have learned to accept who I am now. My journey with Fibro has made me much more compassionate and empathetic towards others. It has been an amazing, although as times very painful, learning experience. So, please keep seeking help, answers, or whatever it is you need in your life.

Hello,

I've just joined today and can relate 1000% for your cholesterol levels coming back so high. I too have been prescribed medication. And for the same reasons as you have refused to take it. One thing I did not realize is that Hgh Cholesterol goes hand in hand with hypothyroidism and I have that big time with my Hashimoto's. I use ground flax seed in all I can. I use a great deal of Virgin Coconut Oil (Dr. Oz says this is the type of oil that washes away fat and has a zillion other benefits). I supplement with fish oil, red yeast rice, garlic concentrate, and CoQ10. It has reduced my levels so they are not so alarming. I take a nightly aspirin regiment too. Hope this helps a little. Lynn

Just wanted to share with you my good news and the fact that all my healthy eating and exercise has had a huge effect on my cholesterol levels.
They were high at 273 and now from my recent bloodwork are at 210. Plus my LDL is normal and my HDL is up which is great and all other tests were normal.
I did not get the niacin, but I am taking more Vitamin C. I think it it a combination of better diet habits and exercise. I had thought with my stress levels being higher the test results would be bad, but alas it turned out wonderful this time around. I am going to keep on with my healthier diet and see what happens in the future.

Thanks for your support. :)

Just wanted to share with you my good news and the fact that all my healthy eating and exercise has had a huge effect on my cholesterol levels.
They were high at 273 and now from my recent bloodwork are at 210. Plus my LDL is normal and my HDL is up which is great and all other tests were normal.
I did not get the niacin, but I am taking more Vitamin C. I think it it a combination of better diet habits and exercise. I had thought with my stress levels being higher the test results would be bad, but alas it turned out wonderful this time around. I am going to keep on with my healthier diet and see what happens in the future.

Thanks for your support. :)

Awesome news! I'm very proud of you for taking the initiative to control your cholesterol through diet without drugs. I'm a huge believer in the power of eating correctly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back