Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2011
Country
NL
State
NL
I went to see another doctor due my strong headache issues and stuffed nose, well guess what? He ordered a CT scan of the sinuses... He is the third doctor to order a CT scan, the neurologist I saw some days ago ordered a brain CT scan, the proctologist I saw 2 months ago ordered a chest CT scan as well. Can you imagine how much radiation I'd have been exposed to if I had done as they said!?

I feel like a crazy person every time I tell them I don't want to get the CT scan done out of fear to the dang radiation! Meanwhile I'm here with a mild headache, and a stuffed nose. I feel like doctors see me like a crazy person just because I don't want to deal with an unnecessary risk... Jesus, what did doctors do back when CT scans weren't available!? What happened to old-fashioned medicine?Why expose the patient to a life-time risk of developing cancer a few years later?

I can't believe doctors nowadays are relying too much on CT scans, MRI are fine in my book but not CT scans. It's like the no longer listen to the patient, and don't care about the cancer risk associated to CT scans... My odds to get cancer in the future are already a bit high for someone my age (due my past radiation exposure), and they want to do this? For reals?!?

The neurologist didn't even asked me what my symptoms were, I had to tell him what was wrong... but he'd not even look at me while looking at my med file!

Not sure what to do guys, there has to be a better way! At least a way I manage to get exposed to less radiation.

What a prick! I'm sorry but I hate when Dr's don't pay proper attention to the patient, ie: making eye contact, their cell phone being g on and talking or texting on their phone in front of the patient, repeating questions because they're not paying attention!.... Grrr!

Anyways, why can't this Dr just order an MRI of the sinuses then? I mean, I know it can be done, I've had it done... Lol
Can you call their office back and request the MRI instead? How ridiculous!

I totally understand what you mean about all that radiation... yikes! I think the reason they do it so much now, though, is because of the advanced technology, they can see exactly what's going on "under the surface."

Before CTs and MRIs, it boiled down to a lot of guess work and I'm sure they were wrong a lot more often than they are now.

Yeah, Mariposa, I think they are depending way to much on medical imaging tho. I'm ok with MRI, since those don't use ionizing radiation, but not CT scans. CT scans are like a double edged sword, similar to playing Russian Roulette, but the only difference if you might be seeing the results of having those imaging test done after one or two decades. A very big risk if you ask me :(

What a prick! I'm sorry but I hate when Dr's don't pay proper attention to the patient, ie: making eye contact, their cell phone being g on and talking or texting on their phone in front of the patient, repeating questions because they're not paying attention!.... Grrr!

Anyways, why can't this Dr just order an MRI of the sinuses then? I mean, I know it can be done, I've had it done... Lol
Can you call their office back and request the MRI instead? How ridiculous!

Yeah, I the neurologist I saw some weeks ago wasn't even looking at me during the entire appointment, he examined my reflexes and vision, but didn't even paid attention to what I said. He was so darn silent and said I needed a CT scan :-? If I had listened to all those 3 idiots I'd have received this year more than 3 years worth of background radiation in just a few months!

That's good to know :) I didn't know that could be done! I will not see that doctor again, might go get a second opinion, since I'm not getting irradiated so easily again! Idiots, MRIs are way safer than those awful CT scans. I think it has something to do with my insurance... I wanted to get a head MRI done instead of a CT scan weeks ago, but that useless doctor who is supposed to solve this kind of issues said I should go see a different neurologist. Here we go again!

Btw, nope, sadly they don't do that kind of things, most doctors here are like: ''I'm the doctor and you will get this done, not that because I say so!'' I swear it feels like that most of the time, specially when I tell them I don't want to get CT scans done.. sometimes they compare the radiation received during one of those scans to watching TV... plain ignorant or playing fool?

Yeah, I the neurologist I saw some weeks ago wasn't even looking at me during the entire appointment, he examined my reflexes and vision, but didn't even paid attention to what I said. He was so darn silent and said I needed a CT scan :-? If I had listened to all those 3 idiots I'd have received this year more than 3 years worth of background radiation in just a few months!

That's good to know :) I didn't know that could be done! I will not see that doctor again, might go get a second opinion, since I'm not getting irradiated so easily again! Idiots, MRIs are way safer than those awful CT scans. I think it has something to do with my insurance... I wanted to get a head MRI done instead of a CT scan weeks ago, but that useless doctor who is supposed to solve this kind of issues said I should go see a different neurologist. Here we go again!

Btw, nope, sadly they don't do that kind of things, most doctors here are like: ''I'm the doctor and you will get this done, not that because I say so!'' I swear it feels like that most of the time, specially when I tell them I don't want to get CT scans done.. sometimes they compare the radiation received during one of those scans to watching TV... plain ignorant or playing fool?

More like playing God in my opinion... These Dr's now a days are something I can't say on here... Lol

Darn, I was hoping this Dr would be one you might have a decent relationship with and he'd switch it to an MRI... I have a few Dr's whom I've got goof relationships with that would do that if I asked... Not all of my Dr's, but a few..
And yes it can be done! Google it! Lol I'm a research nut so I will search and search and search for info on all of the treatments, medications, and testing that these Dr's throw at me.. A lot of drs don't like when their patient researches on their own.. You often get the 'you can't believe everything on the Internet...' speech... Which iI hate, and is now why I print a lot of what I find and have it with me when I go to the Dr's so I can back up what I found and show them I didn't just find it on some random site but rather a medical journal or study etc.. Then they don't like that either because you're not stupid and you're educating yourself.. I honestly think they like us to be clueless and in the dark about all this stuff so we just do whatever they say and don't know if they're taking unnecessary risks, behind the times, or worse if they're wrong... Lol I mean, I don't go to my Dr's trying to tell them how to do their job or anything, but if I don't like the option presentedto me, iI want to let them know and have my reasons why in print from reliable sources, not just 'well I think it's a bad idea' lol.. You definitely have to be very tactful if/when you challenge a Dr...

Good luck Trellum. Not sure what to say beyond that just kind of shaking my head in surprise in the lack of empathy from your dr.'s. The very least they can do is tell you they believe you but that they can't do anything to help. By the way did they take the time to explain to you why they wanted the scans or was it a case of they said to and end of conversation?

Trellum sorry you answered all my questions in above posts. Having a "foggy" day. OOPS.

Good luck Trellum. Not sure what to say beyond that just kind of shaking my head in surprise in the lack of empathy from your dr.'s. The very least they can do is tell you they believe you but that they can't do anything to help. By the way did they take the time to explain to you why they wanted the scans or was it a case of they said to and end of conversation?

Hi Mike! Thanks :) Well, CT scans shouldn't be taken so lightly by the doctors :( My main complain was they do take them so lightly! I wish they were more educated on the topic, you'd be surprised to see how ignorant the most ''educated'' doctors are when it comes to CT scans and radiation, so much it makes me wonder if they're playing fool with me?

Mike, I really felt they just order those test so I'd just be out of there as quick as possible :( If they really cared they'd have ordered a MRI instead. One thing is for sure... I'll not let me irradiate me again so easily! I've a hiatal hernia I'm not planning to fix, if they can check it out before getting the surgery... well, I'm willing to go tru another endoscopy! Anything except a CT scan.

Yeah, Mariposa, I think they are depending way to much on medical imaging tho. (

Oh, no question there at all...just like the over-medicating of things that really wouldn't need medication. It's like prescribing meds that aren't needed and MRIs/imaging is just a given these days. There are so many horror stories about these two issues.

It's crazy how little doctors listen. I had one diagnose me with Endometriosis ( they even did a surgery and saw I was stage 2) and then they turned around and said I was psychosematic. Like what? I think doctors really need to take the time to relax and listen to people and their complaints. I would be happier with them having me record every little issue I have, rather than throwing me under the xray or Mri machines every chance they get.

I hear ya! Can you believe my mom wasn't told she is sooo close to getting osteoporosis?! Yeah, the doctors that are covered by our insurance missed that. A doctor she had to pay to consult ran one of those bone density tests! She is so darn close to get that.. poor mom! I'm starting to feel more and more disappointed on doctors,. It seems we are on our own and can't trust doctors... we need to research and research on our own and suggest things, since it seems they are just useless. I should study medicine, lol.

Oh, no question there at all...just like the over-medicating of things that really wouldn't need medication. It's like prescribing meds that aren't needed and MRIs/imaging is just a given these days. There are so many horror stories about these two issues.

MRIs aren't an issue for me, but CT scans are, I think doctors should be more aware of all the harmful effects CT scans can cause in the long term, one of them being cancer. What happened to the doctors who would listen to what you have to say and do a physical exam? Seems they're all gone :( Sadly CT scans are so popular over here, mostly because they're faster and cheaper than MRIs.

Wow Trellum, that is the pits! I feel like the doctors I see can't or won't do anything for me but send me for useless tests or refer me to other doctors. I wasn't aware that CT scans were so bad for you. I had one of my aortas in my whole body last week. (and all for naught too as the results were normal!). It's very frustrating, very depressing. Good luck getting this resolved.

Hi Athena! Yeah, actually CT scans do increase your risks of getting cancer :( The younger the higher the odds are... oddly! I say oddly because its well know that cancer risk increase with age; the older the worse. So am just guessing radiation makes everything just worse. Doctors nowadays seem so ignorant or play fool whenever you tell them you'd rather have a MRI done instead of a CT scan. They say things like: ''oh but you also receive some radiation from the TV''. I'm like ''Yeah, those two are so similar, dumb*ss''. Lol, I only think so tho... never tell them that. One once told me a chest CT scan had the same quantity of radiation as a xray... RIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT! I've seen the numbers... and actually a chest CT scan equals to 150 x rays! Delusional? or just playing fool!? Can't help to really wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back