Amitriptyline

Joules

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2020
Country
UK
I am newly diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. My doctor has put me on low dose of Amitriptyline, which has certainly helped to regulate my sleep. I am interested to know whether members think this drug is a good idea or whether I should avoid it?
Thank you in advance

This is an anti-depression drug. It is widely used, and for some people it is effective. As with any drug, be careful with it. But many people find that taking medication for depression and/or anxiety is helpful to them because it helps with sleep, which is imperative, and it helps with anxiety, which is very helpful as well. I took it years ago for depression and it didn't help me much at that time. But I am now taking medication that does help with depression and anxiety and it does help me, although I still have to practice various techniques to ease anxiety when it comes on.

Many thanks for your reply, it was very helpful. I am only on10mg and I don’t intend to increase it, as I have heard that some people keep needing more for The desired effect.

Joules
Hi. I have Fibromyalgia and perscribed Amitriptyline. I'm not sure if this really
works or not. I have been taking this medication for a long time now. I thinks what
happens is your body gets use to this after a long time. Hear what your body is saying.
Give this medication some time and see what happens. I hope this helps out for you.
Please let us know what happens. Thank you.

I’m on 100 mg and started on 50 mg. My nights would be sleepless without it. Always have to weigh the benefits verses side effects with any drug. I seem to tolerate it and gives me 5-6 hours of sleep verses maybe an hour before I started it. We need a good nights sleep to be able to function. What works for you may not work for me. So you have to give it a try and see what benefits you can get from it.

Many thanks for your message, I do think this drug is helping me sleep, so long as I remember to take it on time, I have set a alarm on my phone which helps. I will keep taking it whilst it helps.Hope it continues to help you.

Back