DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
Hello,

I am new to this site and hoping to get feedback on my condition. Please note that I have not been diagnosed with fibromyalgia or any other ailment at present. I do however have symptoms which are not inconsistent with fibromyalgia (to the extent that I've read about it)

Up until December, 2012, I had never had major health issues. At that time I got into a brief relationship with a woman who had fibromyalgia. By that I mean she told me she had fibromyalgia, I personally witnessed her having bouts of extreme muscle pain (for which I helped massage her legs), and she had noticeable cognitive issues which she described as 'brain fog.' Our relationship was physical, and it was also brief. We were together perhaps a month.

About three weeks after our last encounter, I was hit with a severe infection. Night sweats, muscle/joint pain and neurological issues in my legs (twitching nerves, like they were firing on their own). These symptoms were bad for several weeks, and then gradually lessened over time and eventually disappeared. My initial thought was that I had caught an STD. So I was tested at six months and then again at one year for every standard STD for which there is a test for men. All tests came back negative.

Fast forward to September of this year. I was hit with another outbreak of the infection. This time no night sweats, but otherwise same symptoms as before. The difference this time around is that the muscle and joint pain are not going away. Particularly severe is muscle pain on the backsides of my upper arms (both) that is sometimes so painful that it hurts to raise my arms. It is worse in the AM when I wake up, The backsides of my upper arms also feel cold all the time.

That's where things stand today. Because my symptoms are similar to those of my erstwhile partner (and because of the timing of my initial infection), my natural conclusion was that I probably contracted her condition. Note that I''m not saying that I contracted fibromyalgia. I don't know what I've contracted. Even if she was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, she could certainly have other conditions as well. Also I understand the difference between correlation and causation, so I can't be 100% certain that she is the source.

Does anyone have any thoghts about this? Do my symptoms sound like something you've experienced? If it's not related to fibromyalgia, what could it be? I have not suffered any fatigue, so that is one thing that doesn't match up with fibromyalgia symptoms. Perhaps ME? Lyme disease? I read an article suggesting that one can catch lyme disease as an STI.

Your comments/observations would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Hi Eastbay, I am also new here. I am sorry to hear about your illness. Did you try testing for any of the HSV's? There have been recent studies and trials by a doctor Pridgen which you can look up that are quite interesting. I am not a doctor but I am of the mind that these viruses have something to do with fibromyalgia and CFS. Good luck and keep us updated. Spotsy

Hi and welcome firsty , as you say you can't catch fibro, and I'm pretty sure anything going around like a virus you can get from anywhere. Just because u meet a lady who had an illness does not mean you got it from her.if you have a low immune system a virus can hang around along time.
Not all ppl with fibro feels tired.i don't.do u work out or have a heavy job that could of hurt your arms.have you seen a Dr and asked.
I think the first port of call is your Dr and have some blood test to rule out all other illness, and then go from there. All the best and be sure to let us no how u get on x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back