Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
Alabama
It seemed terrible when I was reading that Angelina Jolie had her breasts removed simply because she was told that she was a prospect for cancer. She didn't have anything wrong with her, but the doctors told her that she might be likely to get breast cancer, so she had her breasts removed.
How crazy is this ? Yes, cancer is becoming more prevalent, but they should have told her things she could do to be less likely to get cancer other than have her breasts removed, in my opinion.
You don't take your lungs out to prevent lung cancer.... You stop smoking. Or whatever. But you don't remove your lungs. Obviously, no doctor would suggest that, so why do it for breast cancer ?

There are a lot of women I know that have done this, just to avoid more surgery in the future. Personally, I like the watch and wait way of doing things. I would take out the lump and leave the rest of the breast, but then I don't have cancer so I think it is something people must face now or later and some decide now is the time instead of their waiting to see if they get cancer. It is a very personal choice.

my mum had breast cancer and also in the tissue behind the breast so she had to have her ribs scoured. Because of my family im at a high risk but i will wait to seeif something did come about i would not mess about, i'd have the lot off, but thats my personal choice. Also, regarding Angelina Jolie, i think it was done as much for the PR and awareness, as for any personal heath risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back