Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2016
Country
CA
State
ON
Hi there - new here with a question. I've read (I've done way too much reading) a lot about anti-inflammatory diets, not eating nightshade plants (ie tomatoes), gf, etc. Have any of found that the diets actually work? I've been gf numerous times and thought it worked, but then though it might have been fluke because it was summertime and symptoms tended to be better in the warm weather. I wrestle with whether it's worth the extra stress and aggravation of a special diet (when I'm already cooking for a family of picky eaters and have come to really despise cooking).

Re: Diet ?

What's gf?

Yes - sorry - gluten free

I don't know if there is anything to it, but when I was vegetarian I know I felt better. And now since I've been eating mostly organic and cutting out sugar as much as possible I have been feeling a lot better. I think I did read or hear somewhere that cutting out processed foods helped fibromyalgia. There might be something to that. Eliminating processed foods and sugars.

Some things make a difference. I find that eating a lot of natural fiber helps with my IBS symptoms. Eating foods that contain a lot of antioxidants seems to help. I focus on eating fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes (and sushi)

I tried gluten free but it didn't make a difference for me.

The problem with processed foods is that they tend to have a lot of additives that have not been tested much (or at all). Conventionally grown foods can also have additives you don't expect (google ractopamine). I try to avoid these foods.

Our culture has a tendency to make us feel anxious or guilty about food. I think it is important to ignore all that and feel good about your diet.

I don't think there's a diet that helps everyone. Some say they feel better if they eat vegetarian. If I don't eat meat, I become weak and sickly. But going gluten-free has helped me a great deal with my gastro-intestinal issues. Not cured them, but helped. If I eat too much sugar or drink too much alcohol I m in a lot more pain the next day or two. For some people, they need to cut out lactose or casein. That made no difference for me.

I think it is different for everyone, although everyone will definitely benefit from cutting out all processed foods, and avoiding sugar and limiting alcohol intake. But everyone, whether fibro or not, benefits from that.

Main thing is, find out what kind of diet works for you. This means going on an elimination diet and slowly adding things back in. Takes dedication, time (like at least 6 months), diligence, and a willingness not to cheat, ever. But you will find out what works best for you if you do that. It is worth it.

Hi Marvis,

I have to say that the amount of stress it would cause u to be on a specific diet , would not be worth it.
I think the best thing is eating healthy!
More fruits and vegetables,chicken and turkey.
If you have IBS then you should also consider that
But being stressed about cooking is not worth it.

Alot of the ladies on here have found that a Gluten free diet hads helped them (gf) ,but I personally have not found that , but u can try it and see.

Take care

Sagey

In addition to fibro I also have a very rare autoimmune disease that causes lots of inflammation in my body. I am in a group of fellow suffers and the subject of diet is one that's discussed all the time.
For me, I'm a sugar addict. I love sweets and I know that's a problem however like most addicts I guess I will need a dramatic reason to quit. I haven't gotten there yet even though I suffer a lot with inflammatory pain and problems.
I have tried eating lots of vegetables and my IBS kicked in so bad I had to stop!
Last year I had to take prednisone for 8 months because of my disease and I gained 30 pounds in those 8 months! It's a horror! I can't lose the weight, however I am trying to eat better.
I'm not sure what to do. Processed foods are so very convenient because I'm usually way too tired to do things the "right" way. My husband isn't very helpful. He eats junk all day, and when dinner time rolls around he's not interested in anything. It's just the two of us so that leaves me with a frozen entrée of some sort.
I also am allergic to tomatoes, watermelon, sesame seeds, and peanuts. On top of that my body does not tolerate soy in any form or oats (thanks mom and dad).
Anyway, I would love to find something that works for me that is easy and convenient.
Thanks for any suggestions!

Sugarplum, it is up to you to take care of yourself no matter what your husband does. I know living with another person who is not supportive makes it harder, but it is your job to make a commitment to your health - no one else can do it for you.

The solution that I have found, and that I know will work for anyone if they do it, is to take one day every week or every two weeks and spend one or two hours to make one or two big batches of something healthy. Soup, stirfry, whatever is healthy and then freeze individual portions of it. Then you just microwave them just the same as if they were one of those expensive, unhealthy processed frozen dinners. I say expensive because no matter how cheap it may be to buy the content has such little nutritive value that you are paying way too much. I learned when I was on my own as a teenager that you have to count nutritive value-for-your-money, not just what something costs.

The other solution I use is to make the most simple meal possible. For me, that is a piece of meat that I throw under the broiler for a few minutes, and either a salad (just cut up lettuce, carrots, kale), or simply steamed or sauteed greens. Cut up the meat, put on top of salad or greens, and you are done. This meal is very healthy, very inexpensive (depending on your cut of meat) and takes less than 10 minutes to prepare.

It's up to you. If you eat right you will lose the weight and you will feel better, because excess weight is bad for any kind of inflamatory disease. Do it for yourself. If your husband wants to join you, fine; if not, do it for yourself.

Hi Sugarplum, Getting started is always the hardest, isn't it? Especially with brain fog making you feel like you're living in swirling mess of disorganized thoughts like I do. I'm a pretty healthy eater, and have been for a long time, and even I find it hard sometimes. I'd say, do it in little steps. Set yourself little goals. Maybe you could start by buying a cooked picnic chicken at the grocery store. You could portion out the meat, freeze what you can't eat in a few days (I think it's 3 days that cooked chicken is safe, but check that, because brain fog), and eat it with baby carrots, slices of cucumber and pre-mixed salad, maybe a whole-grain bun if you're ok with wheat. Maybe buy a couple of soups from the health food section (just check the sodium levels). Lunches, I often have a plate with some healthy crackers, sliced apple, some almonds, a bit of cheese... looks pretty, easy and good nutrition. Another super easy thing, if you like beans, is a black bean salad - rinsed black beans from a tin (I use organic just so there's not additives), some green onion, cilantro if you like, lime juice, salt, some corn (just defrost a little from the freezer) and a little feta cheese - eat with tortilla chips. That will last a couple of days and is so easy. Hope that helps. Even a few meals a week will get you feeling like you've got some ideas and will give you a start. Don't make the goal weight-loss, but just health. hugs.

Thanks all for the posts. I think I am going to try again to do the gf and also reduce my caffeine intake again. My all over pain flares have been bad and i've started to notice some gastro issues, which I haven't had in a long time. So off I go....

Thanks all for the posts. I think I am going to try again to do the gf and also reduce my caffeine intake again. My all over pain flares have been bad and i've started to notice some gastro issues, which I haven't had in a long time. So off I go....

Good luck Marvis. Fwiw, I have been gluten-free (GF) for about two years now, and it definitelty makes a difffefence in how I feel. If I accidently do ingest gluten, the next day is going to be nasty without doubt.

Oh, I still have IBS issues, but at least my pain levels have dropped.

I gave up all sugar, all grains, and all dairy. It eliminated 70% of my pain and fatigue. Diet can make a huge difference! I have not eliminated nightshades or legumes.

Thanks mamageek and doobiebrother. My brother was celiac as a child and my sister has a strong reaction to gluten, so I know I should be cutting it out. It was just never that clear cut for me - felt generally somewhat better when I was gf and low sugar, but never reacted if I ate wheat, so it was hard to say 'yes, it's gluten'. Anyway, I've restarted this week as well as cutting back on my caffeine again. Usually, once I've made the decision, I stick with it, although this year my resolve has been weaker - I think just fatigue makes me less organized and less determined. Hopefully being on here will help me stay the course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back