Any foods I could eat to make my chronic fatigue less?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wulfman

Distinguished member
Reason
Relative
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
IN
State
NY
I don't have a good diet right now and am single. I eat a lot of frozen foods. And I sleep way too much. I don't exercise much either. I always feel tired . I want to stop eating these frozen meals but I don't know where to start. Can anyone suggest any specific foods that will make me healthy and less tired.

Anybody ? Well I guess good old google then. :wink:

The only advice I can give other than trial and error to find what works for you is to look out for artificial sweeteners (of all kinds) and avoid them like the plague. It can be difficult as the amount of things which are not diet and which do have sugar in also have sweeteners in especially drinks. I have given this advice to people all over the place - both fibro sufferers and just general feeling rotten, and they have all found they feel better and have more energy. Even more so is one person had avoided them for a couple of months when they decided it could not make that much difference and had a can of diet drink (the regular was sold out) - the next morning they could not believe how stiff and awful they felt and from that point did not touch any sweeteners.

My advice is to start juicing. My son and I started doing it a couple of years ago and it has seemed to help with our energy as well as my pain and fatigue from the Fibromyalgia. I would also recommend that you stop eating processed foods and switch to whole foods as soon as you can, and that you get at least 30 minutes of exercise a day, everyday. Even just walking for that 30 minutes should make you feel much better in the long run. Sleep is also very important and I recommend that you get at least 8 hours every night. If you don't, you will end up with a sleep deficit as I have. My doctor said that I have about 6 years in sleep deprivation and that has caused me even more pain and fatigue. It's a very hard balance to know what works for you and what doesn't, you just have to keep trying healthy things until you find something that works for you.

Stress is also a big factor when it comes to feeling fatigued. I have had more than my share of it in 48 years and with the way that things are going on this planet I feel that it is only going to increase. Take some time for yourself everyday and do something that you really enjoy. Meditation can be very helpful and even just sitting an listening to some calming music is beneficial. All of these suggestions I have mentioned will hopefully help you to relax and should help you to feel better and less fatigued. I hope some of these suggestions will be of some help. Good luck!

Thank you guys . Yes stress and sugar are two big factors I am striving to diminish in my life. I know much of my fatigue is due to it. Sleep is not a problem for me kerin as I can sleep 12 hours straight and still feel tired many days. I need to calm my thoughts which will also lead to less stress. I will give meditation a try as well. Again thank you for the advice guys.

I, too, suffer from chronic fatigue. It seems like I am always searching for new remedies, either in diet or supplements. I had a friend recommend an anti-inflammatory diet. It resembles a Mediterranean diet by eating fish, vegetables, and olive oil. Right now I have gotten rid of my starches and sugar. Boy, you don't realize how your blood sugar jumps around without it. Seems like it is making me more tired. Oh, well, I'll keep on trying....good luck!

One thing that really pees me off though is the number of advertisements for "cure such and such but following these simple diet tips" leading to a site that you have to pay to get an ebook or recipes or whatever. People with chronic conditions get desperate and will try anything and people take advantage. While cutting out something or adding something may help some people most people find they have paid money to get no relief. Then there is the fact that any safe diet changes are known about and are free from peoples doctors - if eating a grapefruit while stood on your head under a full moon did cure fibromyalgia dont you think we would all know about it?
I will give people who ask advice, and I will share what does and does not work for me but please everyone try and avoid diet things you have to pay for because it is probably someone taking advantage.

I would recommend anything that doesn't burn inside I'd guess. No sodium, no acid like drinks. I wouldn't drink soda, or any of that, well I don't.
That's all I could really help you with though.

If you buy a juicer like the other poster suggested, juice alkaline producing fruits and veggies. Apples, lemons, anything that you like and add a tablespoon of tart cherry juice to it. There are substances in that juice that reduces inflammation. Not saying fibro is mainly inflammation, but many people also have a good dose of some sort of arthritis along with the fibro. Also, I like to put about 2 stalks of celery in with it. Celery is rich in magnesium and magnesium helps muscles to relax. Sometimes I put 2 tablespoons of fresh squeezed lemon and a tablespoon of honey and a pinch of cayenne pepper (alkalinizes the pH in the body) in about 6 oz of water. Or use Braggs apple cider vinegar instead of lemons. Braggs has "the mother" in it which is full of potassium and magnesium and other nutrients.

Stress does indeed cause me flareups and that's when I kind of just let my regimen go instead of staying with it and being more vigorous in it.

Sometimes i just get so plain tired of the pain and the persevering of the things I should do to help alleviate it.

Diet is so important to make sure that you're able to stay as healthy as possible. This is true of everybody, but the majority of people don't bother to change their diet to the extent that it is needed, meaning that they never get the full benefits of it. For you, with an existing health condition, it is even more important. Sure, there might be specific things that you can try, but you should firstly try increasing your fruit and vegetable consumption, and cutting down on the amount of junk food that you have. Doing this will help you to get the vital vitamins and minerals into your diet whilst being able to cut down on those things that might make you feel sluggish during the course of the day. Also up your water intake. This is easy to do, but can make a huge difference that you probably won't appreciate until you're actually able to try it.

Yes soda is very bad. I feel really tired after eating a lot of dairy also. Light foods like a bean burrito or chicken quesadilla keep me energetic.
I love juice, but I don't really have the energy or time to make it in a blender freshly squeezed. If it is helping you guys that much I may make time for it though. Otherwise I drink Tropicana Grape Juice mostly. I hardly drink soda anymore. And only alcohol once in awhile. I think eating fresh foods, that are light and not too heavy have proven to be the best for me.

Salty food seem to help me more than anything. But dehydration also exacerbates my symptoms do there is also that to watch out for.

Hi there! There are multiple things that have helped me significantly when I have flare ups.
I also have to watch out for other things that start causing me significant chronic pain.
I have found I cannot take anything with hormones in it (i.e. birth control) as progesterone's side effects include muscle aches, joint pain, etc.
I have to keep an eye on my thyroid levels. If they are too far one way or another (normal values for one person isn't necessarily normal for another person).
I have to pay attention to my sleep hygiene. Too much sleep depletion causes me significant amount of pain, and it will get progressively worse the more deprived in sleep I become. If I am not getting restful sleep (laying awake and tossing and turning), this causes significant worsening symptoms.
Vitamin depletion causes significant pain symptoms (i.e iron and magnesium deficiencies plague me). So eating spinach and drinking a glass of orange juice daily helps me significantly. Do not take calcium or other vitamins at the same time. I have read this causes absorption issues. Take B vitamins and D vitamins and calcium supplements (but not at the same time as the iron).
Taking Guaifenasin regularly when I can't get rid of the symptoms helps me significantly to get back on the pain-free track.
Hope that helps! It helps me!

Start slow, it is a lifestyle change. Start eating more salads, no cooking involved. You can experiment, add chickpeas, try it with pickles and hot peppers. That is what I have been doing and it seems to make a difference energy wise. I also drink a lot of tea. I make a full pot in the morning and drink it during the day. I alternate between green, white and black tea. It seems like I overall feel better when I drink tea instead of soda or sugary drinks. Hopefully you will feel a difference as well.

I do like salad. And I don't need any fatty dressing to enjoy it either. Some balsamic vinegar is good enough for me to eat a huge bowl of salad. I am trying to find an easy way to make some good flavor healthy tea. Any suggestions ? Is using Lipton or any powdered tea negative to making fresh tea yourself ? Mowmow I don't like green or black tea but if it will boost my energy I am willing to take the bullet. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back