Any medical students/professionals here?

CrystalMaria

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
11/2014
Country
IE
Hello all!

I am new to these forums but not to fibromyalgia. I've had it as long as I can remember and received a formal diagnosis a couple of years ago.

I'm currently trying to get into medical school, which with this disability is very difficult.

I was wondering if there might be anyone here who is or has gone through this process?

Looking for advice, encouragement etc.

Back to stare blankly at my chem book now... o_O

x

sunkacola

Very helpful member
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
Uni
State
Somewhere
I've not been in medical school. But I wanted to reply to your post just to encourage you. If you think you can manage medical school, then I say GO FOR IT! You will be able to do it if you are persistent, courageous, and strong. Many people have become doctors while they themselves had serious medical disabilities. You can do it, too. It may take you a little longer, be harder for you than for someone who is 100% healthy. But you can move a mountain of rocks one rock at a time if you have to..... just be very persistent with it and you will get there.

AND, the world needs more doctors who have medical conditions themselves, because you will be far more understanding than someone who has only been healthy. Your patients will love you and you can help so many people. Do it, and be proud.

Smileygirl

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2005
Country
CA
State
ON
I agree....
you should not give up. It took me a long time to complete my degree while working in a physically demanding job with children and seniors, while raising my family etc. I thought I was superwoman and it caught up with me.

I refused to give in and I'm so glad I finished. I graduated fall of 2008, the same year my daughter started Uni
versity. I was the Mom of the class.😀

If I was younger I would have done a Master's but I was getting tired and driving to class in winter was scary.

Best wishes to you!