Any medical students/professionals here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrystalMaria

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
11/2014
Country
IE
Hello all!

I am new to these forums but not to fibromyalgia. I've had it as long as I can remember and received a formal diagnosis a couple of years ago.

I'm currently trying to get into medical school, which with this disability is very difficult.

I was wondering if there might be anyone here who is or has gone through this process?

Looking for advice, encouragement etc.

Back to stare blankly at my chem book now... o_O

x

I've not been in medical school. But I wanted to reply to your post just to encourage you. If you think you can manage medical school, then I say GO FOR IT! You will be able to do it if you are persistent, courageous, and strong. Many people have become doctors while they themselves had serious medical disabilities. You can do it, too. It may take you a little longer, be harder for you than for someone who is 100% healthy. But you can move a mountain of rocks one rock at a time if you have to..... just be very persistent with it and you will get there.

AND, the world needs more doctors who have medical conditions themselves, because you will be far more understanding than someone who has only been healthy. Your patients will love you and you can help so many people. Do it, and be proud.

I agree....
you should not give up. It took me a long time to complete my degree while working in a physically demanding job with children and seniors, while raising my family etc. I thought I was superwoman and it caught up with me.

I refused to give in and I'm so glad I finished. I graduated fall of 2008, the same year my daughter started Uni
versity. I was the Mom of the class.😀

If I was younger I would have done a Master's but I was getting tired and driving to class in winter was scary.

Best wishes to you!

Hi! I'm currently a PhD student in psychology working to be a licensed psychologist - while not in med school, I do get the difficulty of managing a disability and working toward an advanced degree (I almost went to medical school but changed my mind right before I started applying). I'm in my third year of grad school and didn't get diagnosed until about 2 months ago even though I've had symptoms since at least high school. My symptoms have worsened significantly over the past three years I've been in my program, I think primarily due to stress and comorbid mental health problems.
It is absolutely possible to apply to and go to medical school and also have fibromyalgia. As others said above, I think it makes you a more empathic, understanding, and careful health provider. Because you know how important it is to listen to people's experiences and take them seriously.
I went through the process of applying to grad school and interviewing - which is absolutely exhausting - in so much pain and fatigue and constantly nauseous for the entire process (about 7-8 months). My biggest tip is to manage stress as much as possible. Divide up the tasks of applying (try to take the MCAT early, don't leave essays to the last minute), share your diagnosis with where you are applying if you are comfortable, and get as much sleep as you can. It is absolutely VITAL that you take care of your body and mind as you are applying. Putting self-care first will allow you to be more efficient, productive, and just happier overall.
Happy to talk more about my experience and provide any information that may be helpful! Best of luck as you're applying :)

Hi aurora, welcome here! :) You've found an old thread which sort of fits to your questions and situation. If you want to be sure you're not trying to talk with a ghost, you can first look at the date of the last & then first post, in this case May. Then just hover your mouse over the name and you will see when they were last seen here: The first poster wrote 3 posts upon joining, but was never seen since, the last wrote 18, but hasn't been seen for 3 months.... Of course your post remains just as valuable all the same... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back