Any recommended brands for seat cushions? Butt/back pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snoozer

There's waaaaaay too many options online for seat cushion styles, materials, and brands.

Are there go-to brands the community trusts for the best quality?

I have a desk job and try to switch between standing and sitting; while sitting I wind up in all sorts of non-ergonomic positions trying to give my butt some relief which results in my back feeling worse.

Considered getting one of those kneeling chairs, but there's too many options there too..... I feel overwhelmed.

Reactions: Nan
I fully understand your frustration with trying to find The Right One. Thee days that is often a problem when buying something, as there are too many choices in my opinion!
The thing is that what works great for one person will not necessarily be the best thing for you, so it is pretty hard to recommend something. If someone does, and you try it, it might be perfect but it also might not be, because everyone's body and physical challenges or problems are different.
What I did when I needed a back cushion for my car was read brand and product reviews (on Amazon but also on other sites) and narrowed it down to the best-sounding brands. Then I found that brand on Amazon and read customer comments, and finally chose one. The thing is if you get it on amazon you can always return it for free if it is not the right thing for you. Sorry I cannot be more specific. I wish you the best of luck.

@Snoozer - I went through this exercise too. I really like my BackShield for my car. It's expensive ($100 on Amazon) but so worth it. I did see some reviewers complain that it is too stiff, but that is what I needed. As for the office, I went with a kneeling chair. Got it on Amazon as well. I also have a standing desk and use a balance board with it. Throw in frequent stretching and short walks around the office, and I can make it through the day without too much trouble.

Kneeling chairs put too much pressure on my tailbone. For normal sitting my favourites are swiveable, adjustable bar stools open at the back for my tailbone. Similarly doughnut or rather horseshoe type cushions may be interesting for me, but the chair type is more important. If necessary I twist-stretch my legs from side to side as long as I can't get up to twist-stretch. Dennis - @djhsix: a balance board sounds like a great idea, I'm going for one!...
But again there, not quite like @Snoozer's brands of cushions/kneeling chairs: what type?!
I'd want it to be out of wood, but that doesn't seem a problem on eBay (no to the Big A.).
I can see one type that looks more like a spinning top for 20€ and one type more like a bent surf board for yoga and kids for 40€, whilst looking on youtube I can see boards lying on a cylinder - I spose all types might be good?
Whoops: I've just found a German physio called "a spoon a day" comparing 7 types in 20', not sure of the English translations (you can put on automatic translation, but you get some funny incomprehensible parts):
1) a balance pad, 2) a therapy "top", 3) balance "hedgehog" (praps translated "stepping stones"?? with "nubs"), 4) balance "bone" (?, sort of small beam), 5) round balance "seesaw", 6) Bosu Pro (circular board with a hemisphere on one side) and 7) a balance board (a straight one on a cylinder). Most of all he recommends a balance "pad" for anyone and everyone, beginner's and advanced. (Doesn't look that interesting to me.) But he also says just look around what you have a home, and I just found a foam roller my wife bought me. It's standing in the corner cos it's much too hard for me, but I'm now standing on it, typing which is fun. Let's see how long... 🧐 - I'm starting to get sea-sick as I've just had a backlash of a pain after acupuncture is helping fatigue/energy but not pain, which is unbalancing my body in a different way and making me nauseous... But my back feels better. Probably as ever a matter of dosage, e.g. one minute on, 4' off...

Oops. I forgot to include the type of kneeling chair. I went with the DRAGONN by VIVO. Also on Amazon. It has a lot of padding. I think the key for kneeling chairs is the same as standing desks - starting at 15 minutes at a time and working your way up to an hour, alternating with a chair or standing desk. That should give your knees, shins, and core time to adjust.

@JayCS - I have a FluidStance Plane. It's like the therapy top in that video but the platform is shaped like a skateboard instead of a circle. FluidStance also makes them in Maple and Bamboo.
Like you said, start of slowly and work your way up. After a few months, I was able to use my standing desk longer with the balance board than without it.

FluidStance Plane
Ah, thanks! I found a good & reliable seeming "balance board review" site, workwhilewalking com, where it's #2 (says it's recycled and recyclable btw, if that counts). Its wooden partner the Level is #3 and has a Mayo Clinic "NEAT"-certificate. "Expensive", but seem worth it.
None of them easily available here, so I've found European review sites with I guess equally good European products.
Good to compare all the reviews before buying just one. Whole new world (variations due to the simple theme)!
At the moment I'm getting sore from standing too long as well as standing moving on the foam roller, so overdue to stop! (And let it set.)

What I did when I needed a back cushion for my car was read brand and product reviews (on Amazon but also on other sites) and narrowed it down to the best-sounding brands. Then I found that brand on Amazon and read customer comments, and finally chose one.
I get really *really* overwhelmed by the options lol. I've read all the amazon reviews, the Top Cushion articles, I subscribe to Consumer Reports for the rare products that are actually listed on there and everything conflicts. With companies being paid to influence and a flood of garbage reviews on Amazon, community recs help me narrow down the focus so I am able to make a decision.

I really like my BackShield for my car. It's expensive ($100 on Amazon) but so worth it. ...Oops. I forgot to include the type of kneeling chair. I went with the DRAGONN by VIVO.
@djhsix THANK YOU! I think Dragonn might have been one I was previously looking into so this is very helpful to narrow the focus. I'll look into backshield. I'm willing to pay for quality, it's just tough to know what's actually good out there and what's influencer review overhype these days.

It is so tough as you say, Snoozer. Too many options always overwhelms me too. I think the best thing, and what I do, is to try something that looks good, making sure I am buying it from a place that will accept returns (preferably free) if it doesn't work for me. That way the choice is not as scary as it is if you won't get your money back.

I have a set of back and seat cushions from thecushionlab on instagram that my mom got me, they're nice cause you can add them to a desk chair you already have and can move them around if needed. I still can't sit at my desk for a super long time but they have definitely made it easier and are not very obtrusive or ugly which is always a plus. They've definitely improved my posture at my desk which is a big plus for me. I don't know if they're the absolute best on the market cause I am also infinitely overwhelmed by picking the best option on the internet but they have a vote of confidence from me. I just checked and they also have a website outside of instagram lol so if you don't have an account you can just look them up on google as well. Hope this is helpful!

Happy to help!! I hope your quest is easy and fruitful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back