Anyone doing a low carb diet to control FB?

longtimer

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2020
Country
CA
State
AB
Hi: I get a health newsletter and the most recent one, had an article about how low carb diets (Atkins for example) help control inflammation in the body and help relieve symptoms of Fibro - has anyone tried this, and if so, do you feel better?

I tried the Atkins and the Wheat Belly Diet years ago and found it a hard regimen to stick with - plus I don't like eating so much meat, with such a limited amount of other foods (I'm already gluten intolerant) like no carrots, peas, oatmeal, etc. But if people in the community have done it and feel better for it I'm willing to try it again.

Please comment...

Melissa4pooh

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2020
Country
US
State
KS
I've tried, but I'm not getting the results I used to. I did it years ago and dropped 50 pounds, but my body has changed so much hormonal that it isn't helping much with weight loss or fibro symptoms. I really need to find a good nutritionist who is knowledgeable about FM. Good luck!
Following and I'll keep you all posted on what I learn.

sunkacola

Very helpful member
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
Uni
State
Somewhere
I've not heard any reports of that diet being helpful to anyone. But I have read articles that state that lowering sugar, caffeine and alcohol will help with any inflammation. There are certain foods that the current thinking believes are contributory to inflammation, though. You might research that and see if you can cut down or out those certain foods. I don't have any idea if it would help. Changing diet never helped with my pain personally.

Fatima

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2019
Country
CA
State
ON
I have tried several diets that suggest improved symptoms but none worked. My digestive system did feel better on a combination diet (I have digestion problems). The combination diet avoids mixing certain foods. Nothing mixed with fruit. Eat carbs with veggies only and veggies with animal products. I feel that when my digestive system is happier, its one less problem to add to the mix.

Emma1206

Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
Watch something called the game changers on netflix, if you arent a fan of mainly meat based diets a solely plant based diet has many benefits well worth a watch.

I have done keto before and loved it lost lots of weight and felt great however I must admit I do question all that fat and how it really can be good for me , my husband recently suggested a mainly plant based diet and reading up I'd suggest it over a keto diet anyday.

Ann Reid

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2005
Country
USA
State
Nj
I’ve lost 100 pounds since April 2013. I was motivated to do so for many reasons, one of which was a diagnosis of fibro in 2005.

Having been at least 100 pounds overweight for most of my adult life, I knew that a lot of the commercially pushed “guidance” about weight loss leaned VERY HEAVILY on repeating the compulsive overeating mistakes I’d made for years before.

After attending a couple lectures by a very good chiropractor, I took what I KNEW could work JUST FOR ME, and did it. Blood work every six months or so, no more pre-diabetes, pre-hypertension.

I eat once a day, because my most difficult to manage eating hours have ALWAYS been between approximately 4pm and 9:30 or so, when I go to bed.

I eat green veggies and low carb veggies of different colors, eggs/egg whites, unsalted raw nuts, low carb fruit (berries and green apples), no dairy, no sugar, no grain, no salt. I’m a LITTLE less structured now, adding yoghurt and sometimes hard cheese or goat cheese.

This worked FOR ME. If you’re sure it wouldn’t work for you, you’re probably right. Your goal, as I see it, is finding something that works as well as possible, FOR YOU, then using every tool in your possession to follow through on doing it. Read EVERYTHING YOU CAN FIND that objectively describes whatever sort of eating plan (I do not say “diet”, EVER). No eating plan is perfect for every human being. Don’t get cultish about food. If a “diet” has a “name”, research it but don’t embrace it as “truth”.

I have learned that intense stress, emotional stress in particular, is my worst enemy in terms of fibro, and I’m working through a huge flare right now, so changing my eating and losing a large amount of weight was NO CURE. I am SURE it’s better to weigh closer to “average” weight than to be pushing super morbid obesity, as I was.

Research, personal trials, meditation, goals (being the best grandma I could be), prayer if it’s helpful........ doing the very best you can, for yourself, because you deserve it.

Mainegal

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/2013
Country
US
State
ME
After personal trial and error with food, I eat a mostly plant based diet that includes eggs and wild salmon. Lots of veggies, minimal grains, legumes, fresh fruit, tofu and tempi. No sugar, no processed foods, and limit inflammatory veggies. Ditching sugar and processed foods made an enormous difference in my health.I use a small plate. And I use my hand for portion control: protein the size of my fist, carbs what I can hold in a cupped hand and fat the size of my thumb. I eat three meals a day and add a piece of fruit, a small piece of cheese or a few nuts as a snack if I need a boost. I’m also a huge fan of protein drinks with veggies or fruit added—just watch ingredients of powder. Because I can eat anything I want that I know doesn’t increase pain, I never feel restricted.