Anyone doing a low carb diet to control FB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think experimenting with diet is valuable to many - you never know what sensitivities may be exacerbating your symptoms without trying.

For me personally, I did an ultra strict series of restriction diets to see if anything made a difference. Unfortunately, keto, gluten free, dairy free, and nightshade free didn't alter my fibro symptoms at all. I agree with Sunkacola - self-care is key, and a diet high in sugar, alcohol, caffeine etc is not going to support your body, while likely ramping up inflammation. Having realized that I truly don't have the food sensitivities I suspected, I now feel quite liberated to enjoy food in a balanced way!

I have battles this for the last 10 years. I have tried cbd oil. And I finally found one that is working wonderfully! Hickory Hollow Hemp. They have the tincture oil and pain cream. It is a life saver

Thank you for your advice - pain cream would be great. As far as going sugar free - I just had three brownies - yikes... when you fall, you fall all the way to the bottom. I'll climb out of the sugar tomorrow and start over. Gotta be kind to myself - when the pain gets really bad, sometimes you are just desperate for any relief and chocolate and sugar provide a quick burst of happiness even if the consequences aren't so great :)

Thank you for your advice - pain cream would be great. As far as going sugar free - I just had three brownies - yikes... when you fall, you fall all the way to the bottom. I'll climb out of the sugar tomorrow and start over. Gotta be kind to myself - when the pain gets really bad, sometimes you are just desperate for any relief and chocolate and sugar provide a quick burst of happiness even if the consequences aren't so great :)
I make all of our food including sweets. I cut sugar out completely and never missed it. I used to put 3 to 4 sugars in coffee or tea! Now I use either agave (love it), coconut sugar or stevia. Start using half of one of the above and half sugar then ween off sugar.
I can give you the best brownie or fudge or any sweets recipe made healthy. They are decadent and do not taste healthy and yet they are to a point.
Dark chocolate is good for you. Right? (Wink wink)

Creola, I would love the brownie and fudge recipes!! I also try as much as possible to cook from scratch. That way you know exactly what is in your food. I also love dark chocolate. A little piece every day is enough to satisfy the sweet cravings. ☺️🌹

I tried a paleo diet maybe 4 years ago and it actually made things worse for me. I have tried so many different diets over the years including vegan and gluten free etc. to try to improve my health and the one thing they all have in common is that they lead me into binge eating disorder and orthorexia. This is just me, when restricting my eating, but I think many people also deal with it.

I spent the past year on a very restrictive diet and while it did help with my symptoms a little it also made me pretty crazy and so food focused that it was more harmful than it was helping. I had to start working with a nutritionist/counselor in order to try to get my eating back to a normal place and am dealing with the weight gain resulting from coming off a super restrictive diet as well ... it's been a real nightmare, to be honest.

Right now I try to eat unrestricted but also healthy and nourishing foods. I feel like the diet aspect has derailed my recovery because I was so certain it would fix things for me but instead it backfired and I am left dealing with the same issues compounded by weight gain as a result of restrictive dieting.

This is only my journey and it might be different for you but this is a sore spot for me, especially over the past 6 months or so since ending my last restrictive diet quest.

I make all of our food including sweets. I cut sugar out completely and never missed it. I used to put 3 to 4 sugars in coffee or tea! Now I use either agave (love it), coconut sugar or stevia. Start using half of one of the above and half sugar then ween off sugar.
I can give you the best brownie or fudge or any sweets recipe made healthy. They are decadent and do not taste healthy and yet they are to a point.
Dark chocolate is good for you. Right? (Wink wink)

Just so you know, Agave syrup has a higher glycemic index than honey, and so is not better for you, especially if you have any kind of glycemic issue or disorder.
It is better than refined sugar, as long as it is organic, but it still has the very high glycemic index. I use it myself, but sparingly. the one good thing about agave is that since it is sweeter, you can easily use a lot less than if it were sugar.

Honey is probably better for you, as long as it is organic and comes from your specific area, within at least 100 miles of where you live, and as close to your location as possible. The regular honey-in-a-jar in the supermarket is not any better than sugar because it has been heated to high temperatures and refined until all the good-for-you is gone.

Having far too high blood fats, esp. lipoprotein a, I should't eat "any" sugar or any surrogates anymore,
incl. xylite (sweetener that prevents caries, another sicca-problem).
The limit given me for sugar in joghurts etc. is 12%, I try to keep under 10%.
Always better are fruits in natural unsweetened joghurts etc.
I've also now learnt that long-chain carbohydrates are better than short-chain, e.g. for the gut (IBS),
sour cherries, peaches, many berries are better than the sweeter sweet cherries etc.

Creola, I would love the brownie and fudge recipes!! I also try as much as possible to cook from scratch. That way you know exactly what is in your food. I also love dark chocolate. A little piece every day is enough to satisfy the sweet cravings. ☺🌹
I'm so sorry I haven't had a chance to put the recipes up. I couldn't remember or find this thread yesterday. Oh wonderful brain fog!
I'll get to it today.

Ann,
You're an inspiration. I was diagnosed over 20 years ago. The thing that started me on managing my symptoms was following Adkins low carb. I also had good results with a raw vegan food diet. This year I had wonderful results with following a strict keto diet keeping track of everything I ate with an app. Between all of these "diets" over the years, I have increased my carb intake and during those times, my symptoms were much worse. So for the self experiment, keeping carbs in check have helped me immensely.

Keep in mind, we all are individuals. We all have different symptoms in this crazy syndrome that vary from day to day. Anything we consume is our "diet". We just need to see what works best for each of us.

Sending blessings to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back