Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2015
Country
US
State
FL
I've been having extreme pain around my spine. From mid-back up to the top of my shoulder blades. At times its like having a binder clip squeezing my spine. I've tried heat, cold and light massage. I have even tried mild stretches. If I move the wrong way suddenly it takes my breath away.
I would like to know if anyone else has had issues with this type of pain. Is there something else I can try?
I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Gentle hugs

Hi pat,well I do get that but it can be from lifting something to heavy.pulling a mussle can hurt for months.
And u don't even no sometimes u have done it.i also find if Im Very stressed it goes to the middles of my back.have u tired a mild mussel relaxsent.
Ask the dr if they think it's a pull or fibro,eaither way a mussle relaxsent could help xx

Thanks Forgetmenot. I have tried muscle relaxant. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I do have an appointment with my Dr next month and I will bring it up.
Gentle hugs to you.

Hello Patti
Before I talk about what I experience regarding back pain, I would like to ask if it is the trapezius area, and it shoots right through the front of the chest. Does every breath you take hurt a LOT? ....especially sneezing or coughing, which is excruciating. Does it feel almost like meet hooks (sorry gross, but for me accurate description) are ripping the muscle away from your body?

Gentle Hugs back at ya!
Sue

When u pull a mussle in your ribs front or back.it can hurt to even breath for weeks.
My lower right side of back really hurts badly.i don't have a bath .nothing seems to help much.and with the weather so hot I can't stand a hot water bottle atm.

Correct me if I am wrong, Patti, but I do not think you were talking about something temporary such as a pulled muscle, but what you experience with your chronic pain. My back/chest pain has been present for 8 years and is constant, all the time, every breath, awake or asleep.

Gentle Hugs
Sue

I can honestly say that its not a pulled muscle. I have done that so I know what it feels like.
It feels like red hot meat hooks trying to pull or split my back apart. I believe this is another part of fibro that I'm experiencing. Seems like every time I turn around (so to speak) there is something new going on, or I'm just paying better attention to what my body is saying. I still have this pain but I'm learning that when I feel it that its time to listen to my body.
Gentle hugs
Patti

Can't be right all the time lol

Hi Patti, I recently joined this support group in search for answers myself. I am male and I certainly can relate. I too suffer from terrible back pain that extends down to my lower extremities. The pain I feel is deep as if it is in the bones and it alternates between stabbing and a terrible aching. My doctor prescribed me with gabapentin that I take at bedtime. For me it doesn't take away the pain but it helps me sleep. I have tried gentle massages from a certified massage therapist but it really didn't help me and I often hurt to the touch. My doctor suggested therapeutic baths to find relief. Hospitals and maybe some clinics can provide this but I cannot afford that. Fortunately for me I have a sister who has a jaccuzi hot tub. Be careful if you do not tolerate heat. I hope this helps a little.

Hey Patti,

I experience the same pain you do! Everyday I have pain in the base of my skull, neck, shoulders, and my shoulder blades. Some days its worse than other, I sort of have pain that I can "tolerate" because I have no choice but to, or "intolerable" to where I am able to do nothing. Exercise doesn't help me much at all either, I am actually worse off after exercising than I was before. I still try to do light yoga on my "tolerable" days just to stretch a little bit. Giant ice packs help me a lot because they numb the area, I will lay 20 minutes on, 40 minutes off. Heat doesn't do to much for me any more. My pain gets very sharp and deep, I also suffer with nerve damage in my neck so I never get a break. Just want you to know you aren't alone.

Gentle Hugs!

Oh, boy, can I relate! Not only do I have deep, penetrating pain throughout my upper back but also within my lower spine and sacroiliac area. Patti, I am up and awake at this hour (5:00amEST) because the pain is so bad. The pain that I experience can be described as excruciating, paralyzing, as though my bones are breaking. I cannot exercise as it only serves to make my pain worse. No pain medication helps; pain medications make the pain worse. Forget about muscle relaxants as they, too, cause me to have more pain. I do not have pulled muscles. I have Fibromyalgia. As others have said, you are not alone. I feel for you as I know how painful it can be. I wish that I could offer you some comfort measures. I don't know of any. I just have to sit very still and endure. May somebody know of ways that you can get some relief!

Sincerely,

TwoDimes

Hello,
I'm having pain in my spine and up into my shoulder. It feels like it's in the bone almost and radiates down into my spine and into my elbow. I have tried icing it, hot baths, muscle relaxer ( I try not taking any kind of pain medication), even having my husband rub my spine and shoulder. It's not a pulled muscle either. I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia but we are also looking at what else I have so I don't know what to do. Like a few of you have said muscle relaxers don't help. What helps y'all? I feel like my drs think im crazy when I talk about this pain but atleast I'm not alone.

I used to get that feeling that the muscles in my upper back were tearing away from the bones. I was driving a lot and it eventually went away. Not that the other pain went away.

Hi! Sorry you have this pain. Yes, I have it, too. I have tried many things and gotten some small relief from massage (massage therapist was excellent), exercise, moist heat, ice, tens unit and guided meditation for relaxation. But I still take Lyrica. The suffering is unbearable if I don't.

Sorry to hear that. I hope it gets better soon.

Sounds like you have an acute attack of back pain.

For what it's worth to others, an often overlooked cause of chronic pain, especially muscle or back pain, is the use of cholesterol-lowering statin medications that millions of people are taking regularly (the exact physiological mechanism of how statins can cause back pain or disc degeneration is discussed in a scholarly article -- The Dangers of Cholesterol-lowering Agents like Statins or Garcinia Cambogia: Diabetes, Low T, and Chronic Back Pain

Emotional trauma is frequently at the bottom of sufferers of chronic back pain. Often it's an unsuspected cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back