Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
09/2020
Country
US
State
TX
Hi everyone! After years of pain I was finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia and my doctor started me on cymbalta. I was really skeptical, but I saw results the very next day! My pain levels and energy are much better, but the NAUSEA. Sometimes I feel nauseated the entire day. :( To be honest, I’ll take the trade to be able to feel good most days; but has anyone else experienced this? Any tips on how to ease the nausea?

I would suggest that if the cynbalta is making you nauseous it is not the right thing for you to be taking. Your body is telling you this, and it would be good for you to listen. There are other things you can do to help yourself, and I suggest you try doing some of those things.

I have been on Cymbalta for a couple of years now with favourable results. I started at 30mg and am now at 90mg daily.

I took Cymbalta for a few years for anxiety/depression issues. I had mild nausea the entire time I took it, along with other mild side effects.

After dealing with the nagging side effects for that long of a time, I wanted to get off of the medication. I was working at a mental health facility, where I'd worked for 20 years, so expert advice was readily available to me - which was to wean off the prescription gradually, by decreasing the dosage slightly over a number of weeks, because there is a withdrawal effect and it can be significant. The doctor hoped that several weeks' wean would be enough for me.

But in the end, it took me nine full months to get totally off of Cymbalta, due to the intensity of the withdrawal effects. Withdrawal can be extremely problematic with some psychotropic medications - not because they are addicting, because they're not. But one's body chemistry changes to adapt to them, and trying to discontinue the meds and re-adapt can be very challenging. In the end, I could have stretched out my wean longer than 9 months, because the withdrawal effects were still significant even then. There are websites dedicated to advice for getting off of meds like Cymbalta.

Because I didn't take it for my fibromyalgia pain, and because I didn't appreciate any significant pain relief during the time I was taking it for anxiety/depression, I can't speak to how successful it is for everyone for that use. I would just caution, from the bottom of my heart, from someone who took the stuff and who worked in a field where such meds are commonplace, to be aware that if there is ever a reason to stop taking it, it will most likely not be a simple proposition. Best of luck to you.

Hi there,

I'm taking Cymbalta too and had the same trouble, but only at first...it should get better for you. Try taking it before bed and give it a bit of time before giving up on it. If it doesn't improve, then talk to your GP.

Hope you feel better soon!

I spent about 5 months on cymbalta, and it made me incredibly ill. For about the last three I could hardly get out of bed for nausea and dizziness, which was really demoralising after the preceding fibro battle! I know that a resource that helps with the fibro feels like gold, so deciding what to do is tricky. Cymbalta seems to be really helpful for some, and problematic for others. You could try giving it a little longer, or just get off it now while it's relatively new to your system - keep in mind that the longer you take it, the more carefully you may have to ween yourself off it.

Issues with stopping are varied too - there have been a bunch of lawsuits in the US over this medication because of the severity of withdrawal - for me, it wasn't a picnic, but none of the so-called "brain zaps". If you do decide to stop taking it, I'd advise tapering off over a few weeks at minimum, and much longer if you're on a higher dose. You can pop the capsules open and count the balls inside to control your taper, but if you do so be very careful to dispose of any discarded properly. Medication should never be left about where pets or people might accidentally consume it!

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in November. I have taken Cymbalta for a week and it has helped me a lot. I have also a depression. I think Cymbalta is for me a lifesaver.

I took Cymbalta for at least a couple years. I have always been able to start, (and stop) this family of medications easily and comfortably, and I had no symptoms of any discomfort at any time while taking it.

That said, I was taking it for depression and anxiety, and not specifically for symptoms of Fibro, but for me, depression and anxiety are also inexorably interconnected.

I Would have to think in retrospect that overall, Cymbalta was helpful in getting me through one of those overwhelming periods of my life when I was in at least moderate fibro pain, not sleeping, taking admittedly negligent care of myself, and overwhelmed with the stress and pressure of life.

If you’re working with a physician/therapist who recommends it, it may be worth it to give it a shot.

I've taken Cymbalta a couple of different times. Currently for 2 years and mostly for anxiety but it does help me tremendously. I stopped taking it the first time just because I hated the idea of taking meds. The withdrawal was pure hell because I abruptly stopped instead of tapering off slowly. I didn't really have any side effects when I started taking it, but everyone is different. Your nausea may go away after a few days or up to a couple of weeks as your body acclimates. You may ask your Dr for some anti nausea meds or buy some OTC. A warm ginger tea may help also. If your nausea continues past 2 weeks, I would definitely notify the doctor.

Thanks for the ginger tea idea. I hate meds and my doctor has given me a medicine-cymbalta. However, I am 77 yrs old and afraid to take it. I can't stand the pain anymore.

For me, the pros outweigh the cons. I can barely function without meds. I've tried. It's all a matter of what works best for you. Some people do well with natural remedies. I wish I was one of them.

Hi there - I've been trying to get off Cymbalta for several years - since I was put on it for chronic pain a long time ago - the longer you take it the harder it is to get off it. There is a group on FB called Cymbalta Hurts Worse - please check it out. I was ok on the drug til I started having terrible side effects. YOu have to go off it very slowly as it directly affects your brain and a gradual withdrawal is the only way - if you wean off it too fast you really suffer and a fast withdrawal can cause multiple serious psychological issues. Doctors want to relieve pain, but drugs like Cymbalta come with real risks. Please visit the FB group and read the stories and the recommendations - there are literally thousands members in this group and they are following their board guidelines, including me.

That's a problem with many SSRI and SNRI drugs. But if it helps, can take it for the rest of your life.

What side effects do you have with Cymbalta?

I find that eating light snacks throughout the day has helped me with the nausea. I too, am one of those people that cannot find relief with natural remedies. Cymbalta has given me my life back but does come with side effects like all medicines.

Hi there - I've been trying to get off Cymbalta for several years - since I was put on it for chronic pain a long time ago - the longer you take it the harder it is to get off it. There is a group on FB called Cymbalta Hurts Worse - please check it out. I was ok on the drug til I started having terrible side effects. YOu have to go off it very slowly as it directly affects your brain and a gradual withdrawal is the only way - if you wean off it too fast you really suffer and a fast withdrawal can cause multiple serious psychological issues. Doctors want to relieve pain, but drugs like Cymbalta come with real risks. Please visit the FB group and read the stories and the recommendations - there are literally thousands members in this group and they are following their board guidelines, including me.
I'm so sorry you've gone through this, longtimer. It sounds like a nightmare! I hope you are coming close to the end of your battle.

Back