Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
ES
State
Madrid
When I first started with Yoga I almost gave up, as I found the pain nearly unbearable after a few simple stretching exercises. I was then advised to take it really easy and gradually build up my strength. So, I did the recommended poses ever so gently and focused on my breathing. It took me a long time, but eventually the pain began not to affect me so badly anymore, and I noticed the benefits, such as elevated energy, better flexibility, and also new ways of how to cope with my chronic pain.
Have you ever tried it yourself?

Hi Ambrosia! I haven't tried yoga, but I have tried more active exercises and yeah, it was soooo painful could barely bear it the first times. It got better after a while tho, I've come to realize that perseverance is the key. I'm actually glad I kept on trying instead of giving up, but given the fact I was in a lot pain I'd not have blamed myself for wanting to quit ;)

Sounds really good, Trellum. You kept it up, no matter what. I am the same, I keep on pushing until I get a result. That's how I managed to overcome some very challenging health issues in my life. I simply won't take "no" or "that's impossible" for an answer. I think one of the biggest lessons I learnt in all that, is the difference between having inner discipline and being hard to yourself.

Hi Ambrosia! Thanks :) Kudos to you as well! Staying active can be quite challenging, even after overcoming the initial phase ;) Now I don't feel as much pain as before the day after my workout, but the biggest challenge now is to keep going. Sometimes I truly need to push myself, I did that a lot in the past, to the point I felt I was forcing myself. Now it's all more natural, I think it's the same for you! I can easily tell :) After a while this kind of things no longer feel like a chore.

You are right, Trellum, the pain will be there but after a while it tends to get less and less, if you don't overdo it with your exercises. I have pushed myself too hard many times and paid the price. It would take me two or three days to recover from my enthusiasm. I learnt that the secret is too just stop shortly before you start feeling exhausted. With a bit of practice you can determine that moment.

Hehehe, same here :) I no longer feel pain after workouts, it's weird! When I had jut started the day after the first workout my body was in pain, but now even when I try totally different routines I'm fine! I really recommend light exercises for people like us, like Yoga, light cardio, dancing workouts, swimming and walking! They do wonders!

Hatha (relaxation) yoga was amazing for me to start out with. From there I have been able to move onto some more cardio and strength building yoga.

Has anyone ever tried aerial yoga? There is a studio in my hometown that offers it. AMAZING. Pricey, but the bands take so much more pressure away. They also allow you to get a varying degree of stretching instead of the 'all or none' of some poses.

Hi Ambrosia,
Yoga has been helpful . I have been trying it for the last five days. On the third day it was a pain and I was in a terrible mood and was exhausted when I got back. But surprisingly today it felt great and one can get good sleep too!

It helps to an extent. It is very painful doing it, because being on my feet causes my base line to raise drastically the longer I'm on them. I ended up doing a pose or two and taking a break for a few minutes to let the pain levels subside. After I finished all 8 poses I was doing, it would help lower base line for a couple hours. As well as knock down fatigue levels quite a bit.

What is the yoga everyone recommends? I would like to try this, but which type of yoga would be for a beginner?
Tammy

What is the yoga everyone recommends? I would like to try this, but which type of yoga would be for a beginner?
Tammy

Hi Tammy H,
For Yoga, I am currently doing sitting and standing warmups followed by 4-5 asans each sitting, standing and on stomach. I have been recommended breathing and meditation also, but I can only do one thing in a day. there are many asanas that help. what my teacher has said that one needs to do the complete workout and not just one or two poses. the reason being, each part of the body is exercised during the workout and its better for all organs, else the exercise is incomplete. I recommend you find a good teacher, or if you know yoga, then just be regular. I have been at it for 5 days and pains are less.. whatever negative thoughts come, I can counter by meditation too.
wish you well!

For anyone new to Yoga, I highly recommend the DVD "Yoga for Dummies".

Thanks JeanneM,
I will definitely look for the DVD. I too am looking for a gentle workout. I have a pool but it is so flippin hot I can't stand to go in it :-(

Tracy

I am interested in trying yoga, my doctor recommended it, swimming,meditation and walking.

I'm headed there myself in 20 minutes. It's only my 4th class and it will be my first relaxation one. It's been hard, but the instructors are good about telling me how to modify or I just rest whenever I need to. I'd also rather push myself less but go more often. I think this will be very beneficial, especially for my lack of muscle strength and muscle fatigue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back