Anyone going or already gone through the disability process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Btoppe

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2015
Country
US
State
ID
I am thinking about trying for disability. Although, I have heard it is a bit hard for people with fibro to get it. I just want to know about the process what makes it a successful one or not. I've read that getting a diagnoses from a rheumatologist is better than one from just your normal doctor. What are your experiences with a rheumatologist? I plan to ask my doctor to refer me my next visit. Will my doctor be reluctant? Or is it normal to be referred after 7 months of treatment that is not helping.

Thanks in advanced

Hi Btoppe. I'm currently going through the process now. Yes you should get a referral for a rheumatologist. The more doctors you have can help. I have already gotten my first denial but that's part of the process. It can take anywhere from six months to two years. That's what my attorney said. You should find an attorney that handles disability.
I don't know how it works in Indiana, so do some research. The biggest thing I deal with is having the patience to wait for the paperwork to go through again.
I've already had to deal with getting disability for my husband and that took 2 years and 8 months. It was well worth it.
I hope this helps you and gentle hugs.

Thanks for the info. I knew the disability process took awhile, but I had no idea it could take that long. How long did it take for your doctor to refer you to a rheumatologist? I have already done some light research and somehow I did not think about looking up how it works in my specific state. Thanks for giving my foggy brain a jump start! I wish the best for you and your disability process!

It took me about a year to get to a rheumatologist but I'm going through the county health care system. If you have insurance it should be a bit easier. I've been dealing with this pain for about 4 years and was only recently diagnosed.
I'm glad I was able to help some. Remember to keep your head up and keep a smile on your face, makes people what your up to. :)

Hi, I have been trying to get disability since May of 2014. I have been denied twice and have now obtained an attorney. I have more than just fibro going on, I have Chronic fatigue syndrome, degenerative disc disorder, severe Sleep apnea, depression, hammertoe, bone spurs, carpal tunnel syndrome, GERD and a host of other things as well. The process is long and frustrating but if you win it is well worth the wait. I have seen a rheumatologist, an orthopedic doctor, a doctor for the carpal tunnel, and several other doctors. I would go ahead and apply but just be prepared for a long wait.

Hi, I have been trying to get disability since May of 2014. I have been denied twice and have now obtained an attorney. I have more than just fibro going on, I have Chronic fatigue syndrome, degenerative disc disorder, severe Sleep apnea, depression, hammertoe, bone spurs, carpal tunnel syndrome, GERD and a host of other things as well. The process is long and frustrating but if you win it is well worth the wait. I have seen a rheumatologist, an orthopedic doctor, a doctor for the carpal tunnel, and several other doctors. I would go ahead and apply but just be prepared for a long wait.

Hi Krista. I am surprised that they denied you twice with all the things you listed. I am sorry to hear that. I wish you the best!
I have recently been thinking about quiting my job and applying. My husband and all my drs are dead set against it but they don't know the pain and also embarrassment it is to have to not only work with painful hànds but also the pain it is to try to get out of the chair just to use the bathroom or meetings etc.
My surgeon says I will end up with an addiction and weight gain. Which I already have and now my self esteem is gone too. I am afraid of the denial too I think. I'm all screwed up!
:(

Hello.
I got a disability attorney from the beginning and I have been denied twice so I have requested an ALJ (Administrative Law Judge) hearing where I can present more than just papers listing my diagnoses and symptoms. I started the process over 2 years ago. I am scared to death of not receiving disability because I have lost everything and havent been able to work in 3 years. I am not discouraging anyone, but as my attorney told me in the beginning, it can be difficult and the road is long.

Best of luck to all of you!

Hello
I waited over 2+ years to get my disability. A Rheumatologist is your best course of action. He/She have to make the determination that you are unable to work. SSDI sent mines a form and that's how I won my case. Also paper trail is very important The form asked will I miss more than 4 days a month out of work and the answer was yes. My Rheumatologist also stated that, due to my chronic fatigue that I would need to lay down doing a 8 hour shift. Don't give up. Social Security want you to throw in the towel. I wish you the best.

I first applied in May of 2014 and received my first denial in November of 2014. I applied again in January of 2015 and received my second denial in April of 2015. I then went to see an attorney in late April and he told me it could take 12-15 months to get a hearing in front of an ALJ and a couple of months after that to hear an answer. So in total that would be about 27 months. The waiting in making me so anxious and nervous that I have been having anxiety and panic attacks on a daily basis and believe me with all of my other medical problems that is no way to live. I just want a resolution one way or the other so I can put the matter behind me and move on.

You will need an attorney or you might never get it and as for the. My family doctor got mine it's all about the way the words his thoughts on your condition it good to have a good relationship with the doctor they have to file a lot of paper work so that is one else good reason for you to build a relationship with him or her the lawyer going to send paperwork to every doctor that might help but the one you spend the most time seeing is your ticket

i have found that disability will require the actual test and diagnosis paper work from you doctor.
always get and keep your medical records. once you get to go before the ALJ you will have the proof of your illness to had to him to read.
I had to friends that called and wrote to their state rep and they helped them get approved right away.

i do think you will need more than just Fibromyalgia to get it.

keep trying and call for updates on your case. sometimes being annoying will get you what you want.

For those of you who have received disability after going before an ALJ how long did it take between the time you got your second denial and before you went before the judge? Also after the judge approves it how long did it take for you to receive your disability? I know it is a slow process and I am trying to be patient but I have already been waiting 15 months. I have had the first two denials and am now waiting to go before the judge. I should mention I have an attorney. I don't know if that helps in terms of getting before the judge or not.

Yes, I too am going through the same process. I got first denial and then hired a great attorny and wonderfula paralega. I have bot subjective and objective measurements for : SLE (systemic lupus), Fibro, Sjogrens and Raynauds. I also have a bad hear and other issues. But i take it one day at a time and set goals to achieve.

On the disability claim, an attorney can be a great way to go! Especially in my case, as they only get paid on back pay up to $6000.00. However I did hear they were backed up and the wait times listed on previouss post are what I hears as well. Soory!

I applied in May 2013...just started receiving in May 2015...two years! Yes have to have a lawyer and rheumatologist.

I was denied 2xs but the lawyer just forged ahead

So it takes a long time but if you really are unable to work which is my case because I have fibro and GAD then don't give up

One reason I was finally given it was because I "aged out" became over 55....sad but true

I am sixty and still have been denied twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back