Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
02/2016
Country
US
State
IL
So since my primary physician has diagnosed me with fibro without any kind of exam, my neuro says I don't have fibro, but doesn't know what I have and wants to wait and see (if I continue to get worse and for other symptoms) and my rheumy said he is on the fence with fibro but wants to dig deeper....

I consulted with someone that is certified in functional medicine and a neuro chiropracter as well. My question is does anyone on this forum have any experience with a functional medicine practitioner and is it worth my time and money. It is very expensive, and I was quoted about $8k for an 8 month program and this particular individual will not bill insurance. My spouse is not supportive at all and really his only concern is that I have enough energy to stand and cook dinner every evening and be responsible for my own bills (hard to do when unemployed). While I know that this is a lot of money, I could end up spending just as much if not more running between all different doctors.

I have always been extremely active even in my job. But what ever this is going on with me has wiped me out and when in a flare may take anywhere from 6-8 weeks to even begin to function at some level. Except for a 2 week stretch the first of Feb., I have pretty much been down for the last 5 months. Felt fairly decent for the 2 weeks and pushed myself way too hard and went right back into a flare. I am currently unable to work and was terminated due to my health issue and just really want to get back to the point of being able to hold down a job. After being so productive and creating a career for myself, I am constantly battling that feeling of being worthless.

If anyone has any experience with functional medicine I would like to hear your thoughts about it.

All i can say is do your research. There is no quick fix for fibro so maybe find out what this 8 month program consists of in detail.

There are some quacks out there that make all sorts of promises!

I am pretty sceptical about this kind of thing as i believe fibro comes from faulty wiring in our brains that affects the central nervous system.

However others may know more about what a functional medicine practitioner offers and have had some success.

I am sorry your husband is not supportive...and i totally understand your desire to work and the impact of this illness on your feelings of worth.

You are not worthless...far from it ....fighting pain and fatigue makes you an amazingly strong human being.

It may be time to think of a longer term way to live that might not include working or maybe part time at something not too demanding so that you don't push yourself too hard and end up feeling worse for weeks at a time.

Pacing is the answer so a little activity and rest a bit more activity and rest if that is at all possible.

Its hard when you have had a successful career and been very active to adopt this new way of living but in the long term it could help you live a better quality of life.

Hopefully some folk on here will be able to help more with the functional practitioner question.

Willow, Thanks for your kind reply. I guess i was just having one of those frustrating moments. Trying to transition and reinvent your life is not an easy task and even harder is accepting the fact that I have limitations..... kinda always was the type to wear that superwoman cape!

My understanding of functional medicine is that rather than treat the symptoms of disease, it focuses on fixing the root problems of disease. I have decided not to pursue this avenue with this particular physician at this time.

I am very sensitive to medication and in the past have had some severe side effects so am very cautious and leery about starting any new meds. Because of this, I am interested in looking into and finding possible alternative medicines or therapies that may help.

Alternative therapies do help some people....so don't give up on that. I understand about the sensitivity to meds ...I am the same and can't just try things without experiencing some pretty severe side affects.

Physicians don't really know the root cause of fibromyalgia. There are different trains of thought throughout the medical profession and i think even the medical profession like to stick different a reason for it depending on the kind of medicine they practice or basic knowledge from their general training.

Very few really get how it affects us and all the symptoms on top of pain...when i describe feeling overwhelmed by noise...chaos around me or bright lights , my doctor screws her face up a if i am mad!

I've heard of functional medicine, but am not familiar with it. That sounded like a large sum of money, especially with no insurance involved, and I'm glad you've at least pushed that idea to the back burner. Have a look at @gryfalcon's thread, 'What Worked For Me' and see what you think. She is in deep with various things she's tried for her daughter, and seems to have in depth knowledge about a variety of more natural treatments, as well as test that can potentially pinpoint some specific sources of symptoms, which may help find more effective treatments.

I can totally relate to feeling worthless, especially after having put my life on hold to return to school, start a new career, then not long afterwards, be sidelined with Fibro, as well as other issues and some injuries that exacerbated everything. If you had one successful career, you definitely have internal motivation and skills, and perhaps once you've been able to address some of your symptoms and are feeling better, you can think about whether you would be able to return to your career at some point, or whether there's something else that's a better fit to your new reality.

I would advise you to first take a rational approach and identify your trigger and pain points. Then keep a pain and lifestyle journal to carefully monitor whatever you take with a view to knowing the factors that precipitate or worsen your fibro. Have you checked your vitamin D levels? It also will pay dividends to go back in time, to think retrospectively and see whether your job was stressing you since stress is a major cause of fibro and then worsens it. I beg you not to rush into meds before exhausting lifestyle adjustments like walking exercises and alternative therapies. Try to lead an optimistic lifestyle and you will be a master of your own destiny. Best regards.

Well I personally have not heard of functional medicine, but it does sound like something that is promising when it comes to treatment. 8,000 dollars for a 8 month program is a lot of money though, so I can certainly see where you are having these thoughts. I would say that you should really just take some time and think about your options and consult those who you care about and whose opinions you value and see what they say, and then go back to what you think because that is really all that matters in the end. Best of luck in any of the roads that you take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back