Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2022
Country
AU
State
SA
Hi Longtimer, I have recently been diagnosed and at the time was ordered by my neurologist to stop all pain killing medications for a period of three months. That Expires in 4 days (not that I'm counting). this included all opioids as well as more benign meds such as paracetamol. About 4 weeks ago he started me on a low dose (5mgs) Endep (Amitriptyline) and I cant say I have felt any benefit. His theory was that the nerve endings needed time to "reset" but it has caused me significant discomfort - especially as I have a spinal fusion at C3/4 and needing another in the joint below so headaches can be frequent.

I will say however that after 6-7 weeks I did start to notice a slight improvement in the day to day pain (not to the level he suggested) but as i said the Endep does not seem to have helped with pain at all - but does seem to aid sleep.

I still find my best treatment is my 30 minute morning walk followed by a hot shower - without it I struggle to get through the day and at 58 i'm too young to retire!

sunkacola

Forum Supporter
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
I still find my best treatment is my 30 minute morning walk followed by a hot shower - without it I struggle to get through the day and at 58 i'm too young to retire!
Good therapy you are using there. :)
Perhaps if you add in some light stretching either before or after that walk it will add another dimension to your benefits. One thing I know is that muscle pain is exacerbated by the muscles being short, not elongated by stretching, and I have less pain in my legs if I stretch regularly.

Madrooster1964

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2022
Country
AU
State
SA
Thanks sunkacola - i will start doing that - I generally wait 15 minutes for my wife to be ready to walk so its an ideal time to stretch and remove my annoyance at the same time :)

Faustina

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/1994
Country
US
State
AL
Are we still talking about not being on any FM drugs? Couldn't find the place to respond to that specific question.

sunkacola

Forum Supporter
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Are we still talking about not being on any FM drugs? Couldn't find the place to respond to that specific question.
Feel free to respond to that any time.

Creola17

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
Nv
I have found alot of relief from using wild lettuce (known as opium lettuce), white willow and Indian ghost pipe. You never know what side effects you'll experience with chemicals.

JayCS

Legendary member
Forum Supporter
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2020
Country
GE
About 4 weeks ago he started me on a low dose (5mgs) Endep (Amitriptyline) and I cant say I have felt any benefit.
Maybe it's taking the brunt off of the med reduction. 5mg is very low, I guess he'll be increasing it slowly to 10 and then maybe up to 25, that'd be roughly what I tried, without it making a difference.
Too many/bad side effects for me though - but others have hardly any and get help.
Quite a bit of medical evidence for it, at least compared to other meds for fibro.