Anyone on steroids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I was diagnosed in May 2009 with ALS that started with drop foot a year and a half ago which we thought was originally related to radiation I received due to a diagnosis of bone cancer in my spine 7 years earlier. I have been on a steroid intermittently over the years for fibromyalgia inflamation, even since my ALS diagnosis. I started titrating down last week and noticed that my voice weakened considerably and experienced greater fatigue when I went from 10mg to 5mg. My neurologist says that the steroid should not impact my ALS, but I am noticing that I am weaker without it. Has anyone had a similar experience or have any insight?

At my last visit to my neurologist he did say that he uses steroids at times for his patients . I have had steroids before lots of times for asthma and they certainly help that . If he puts me on them I'll let you know :)

Steroids are known to increase energy, but also known to cause muscle atrophy if used in large doses or for a prolonged amount of time. I think it's good that you went of your steroid; I hope you were told to slowly taper off the steroid.Cookie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back