Not open for further replies.

postalgirl

Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
IL
I work for the USPS as a carrier. I have been recently diagnosed with Fibro by my primary doctor. I have not missed any days due to the paiin/complications so far except for doct appointments. I am in the process of applying for FMLA to proctect my job in case there comes a time that I am unable to work a few days due to a flare up. I received the packet from HR for FMLA and it has some papers for the doctor to fill out. I took them almost 2 weeks ago and they are still not filled out! The nurse there does not believe in Fibromyalgia (of course she wouldn't admit this, but it is quite obvious). So I called and explained to the receptionist that the doctor needs to fill out these papers. I was called back to see if I could come in next week to meet with the doctor in filling out the papers? So I have an appointment. What should I expect? What should I tell him? He knows what my symptoms have been and what medication I am currently taking. I don't understand why I have to help him fill out the papers. I don't plan on taking 12 weeks off, but I just want to be protected if I have to take a few days off within the next year due to me feeling like S*** some day! I have a very physical job that takes a toll on me. Has anyone else went throught applying for FMLA? Any suggestions? Thank you.

Oh wow I was thinking of doing the same as I have just been diagnosed and I have the same job as you. I have had FMLA paperwork done before for my son when he was younger for his asthma attacks and the dr did it very quickly and was a lot of help. But I have also heard from coworkers that they were charged a fee to have the paperwork done. I never have been charged a fee. I didn't know how this would work as I have no idea how many days I will have to take off and like you I have not missed work due to this yet other than scheduled sick leave dr visits. Although I have had mornings I didn't think I was going to make it another step.

Very peculiar. I've never heard of having to help a doctor fill out paperwork. I've also never been charged as the previous poster stated. I'm wondering if the doctor just wants to talk to you personally? The paperwork would only pertain to that particular situation (fibro) anyway. I would just go in, discuss it with your doctor, and see what he has to say. Hopefully, it's just a formality.

Good luck!

humm, it's all a bit of a blur for me. I know i had doctors appts every other week and each time i got an "out of work" note to give to my hr dept. I did know i had, what was it 12-13 weeks, covered because of the FMLA. I remember having received paperwork in the mail i needed to fill out and return; maybe that was it. I reached that time limit and my employer sent me a termination notice. (I tried to go back a couple times but had major panic attacks)
For you, i wonder if your doctor doesn't understand why he needs to fill out the papers now if your not taking time now. I am not aware of the details and didn't know you could fill out the papers ahead of time for a "just in case event". Honestly, is it really nessary? And i wonder how happy you are with your doctor? Maybe you need to see another with more background about fibro.

I work for TSA and have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Chronic Pain and Fatigue. Also Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Diseases. My PCP referred to a Rheumatologist. She filled out the FMLA forms for me.

The doctor just needs to be fairly descriptive in answering Part A, Question 4, and Part B, Question 7.
Probable duration of condition should be 'Lifetime'.
My Frequency now shows 4 times per 1 month
Duration is 2 days per episode.

You should also apply for VLTP.
Good Luck.

Well I did end up getting the paper work filled out and approved. I had to go see my doctor personally. He explained that his "lawyer" has discouraged him in filling out FMLA papers for situations like this, since there have been cases of abusing the days off. So it is another example of one bad apple ruining it for all of us who really need the help. After talking with my doctor he understood what I needed. I have yet to need off for feeling too ill to finish my route, but I just want to protect my job if I do wake up some morning I know that I cannot work that day, or the for the next couple of days because of a flare up. My approval papers came back with what I think means I need a doctor slip if I use FMLA. That part I do not understand. Since I do not go to the doctor every time I have a flare up. Doctor did put the condition would last indefinitely , and he would provide an excuse for me for days missed due to the flare ups.

I work for TSA and have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Chronic Pain and Fatigue. Also Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Diseases. My PCP referred to a Rheumatologist. She filled out the FMLA forms for me.

The doctor just needs to be fairly descriptive in answering Part A, Question 4, and Part B, Question 7.
Probable duration of condition should be 'Lifetime'.
My Frequency now shows 4 times per 1 month
Duration is 2 days per episode.

You should also apply for VLTP.
Good Luck.

I work for TSA also in Arkansas and I am in serious trouble over having FMLA. Are you having any at work?

No, I have never had any problem with applying fro FMLA and getting approved. The problem I have is staying within the boundaries as this disease has no set times as to when it flares up and no time limit as to how long those flares will last. Especially in this cold Virginia weather we are having. I have not been to work yet this year.

I was approved for FMLA last December 2012. I invoked it 12 days of the past year and I am being accused of misuse, and written up for missing days and now I go Wednesday for a FCE testing that TSA is sending me to. ! This has been the worse thing I have done by getting on FMLA with TSA. I didn't even renew it this December as I was too afraid to use for fear of being written up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back