Are migraines and headaches part of fibromyalgia? How many people with fibromyalgia get migraines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's Alpha Lipoic Acid and L-Carnatine, you probably picked those up coming at fibro from the mitochondrial function angle - both assist with ATP production (energy!) in cells.
Just saw my chiropractor yesterday and was mentioning that although I am trying to eat more and to eat more protein I feel as though my body isn't storing any of it because I will get a sudden drop of energy at random times in the day; a drop so severe I have to lie down and feel as though I cannot do anything at all.

He suggested I try to eat more fat, which I am going to do, and he sold me some L-Carnatine. He said it sounded to him as though my body was having a hard time assimilating what I ate and using it for energy, and he muscle tested me to see if L-carnatine would help. I started taking it this morning and maybe it will make a difference. I will report on it when some time has gone by.

Sunkacola I’m the same I get slumps where all energy just disappears .the worse is between 2 and 3 afternoon I don’t eat meat so my protein is down too I’ve been finding eggs and tofu and dairy to flair my joint pain lately . my nutritionist advised me before to eat little and often with protein for breakfast but the flair ups hurt so much I don’t even know what to do?

Sunkacola I’m the same I get slumps where all energy just disappears .the worse is between 2 and 3 afternoon I don’t eat meat so my protein is down too I’ve been finding eggs and tofu and dairy to flair my joint pain lately . my nutritionist advised me before to eat little and often with protein for breakfast but the flair ups hurt so much I don’t even know what to do?
Hi Auriel 🌼

Perhaps invest in some whey isolate (lactose free) or vegan protein powders (pea or hemp are popular) to see if they don't trigger you so much? I rely on protein shakes and pancakes - feels like a treat while still being healthy! I put creatine and l-carnatine into the mix to boost ATP conversion (energy!) Our primary dietary sources of creatine are meat and dairy, so that could be worth thinking about.

Defo stay on board with your nutritionist - they are the experts after all - but I found that eating less frequently seems to suit me better. I think hunger helps me keep flares down, so more often than not I'm only eating bigger meals a couple of times a day now - could be worth experimenting with intermittent fasting if you feel like the small meals are messing with your system too much?

Good plan I bought some new stuff to stick in my smoothies I can get protein powders from the health shop, ooooooooooh pancakes 🥞 🥞. 🥞 🥞 🥞 🥞 🥞

Sunkacola I’m the same I get slumps where all energy just disappears .the worse is between 2 and 3 afternoon I don’t eat meat so my protein is down too I’ve been finding eggs and tofu and dairy to flair my joint pain lately . my nutritionist advised me before to eat little and often with protein for breakfast but the flair ups hurt so much I don’t even know what to do
Auriel, are you able to get some exercise each day, even if it is only a little bit? That can seriously help with the flares, both frequency and severity.

I’ll do it if it helps ,im gonna try yoga again too maybe that will help fibro too maybe?

I’ll do it if it helps ,im gonna try yoga again too maybe that will help fibro too maybe?
There is no telling what will work for any individual person, because we are all different and unfortunately FM is not something that responds for everyone in the same way.

I will say, though, having been in the past a very dedicated Hatha Yoga practitioner and teacher, it is a wonderful mind/body exercise that can, if it is approached the right way, bring strength and flexibility and great insight as well.

Just make sure you have a good teacher, Auriel. If it is not done correctly it can actually do some harm or cause injury, so find a teacher who has a lot of experience, who is fully certified (not just anyone who says they know it....ask for their certification) and who has great reviews from people. It is a powerful practice.

If you want to do it at home or cannot get out to class some of the time, I very much recommend the DVDs made by a great teacher named Rodney Yee. He has wonderful beginner DVDs and on up from there to advanced, and his voice is very calming to hear. In my opinion he is the best teacher out there who is making DVDs.

Ooh that’s very cool ,thankyou x

I get them about once a month. I never got any until I hit menopause, which is usually when they stop. I am 54, and two of my doctors believe I have fibro. My Mother though gets migraines, and also has fibro. But just so you know, online migraines are often listed as linked to fibro, it's that common. Additionally, I have neck pain during and after that worsens. I take a medicine to reduce the frequency/duration and severity of migraines. You should speak to an internist or neurologist about it.

How many people with fibromyalgia have headaches or migraines? I am sensitive to light both because of epilepsy, probably because of fibromyalgia as well, and because of being on the autism spectrum so I don't really know what causes what.
I have FM for some years now. I have also had migraines since about puberty. I have tried many things over the years. After my stroke in 2018- I have been under the care of neurologists that have been doing Botox injections. It has dramatically been cutting down on them. I still have headaches almost daily, due to the surgery on my head for the stroke, but the pain and torture of the migraine has seised. I also take preventative medications as well as vitamins that help migraines.

Rbecca222 this sounds so terrible I feel really bad for you I’ve only ever had a mini one , do you think its possible having fibro increasing our risk for them ? That would be a blooming good thread to start , I’m so glad things are getting better for you 💝

If you have headaches without light or sound sensitivity you might want to ask your doctor about tension headache. After a ton of tests my doctor figured out that my daily never ending headaches aren't continious migraines but tension headaches caused by the pain from fibro. These headaches are a cat and mouse game with fibro since they can make your fibro pain worse and in turn the headaches also gets worse. The only thing doctors can do about it is pain management. ( with the occasional migraine)

I get lots of migraines and headaches as well I found if I’m out of cocodamol, magnesium helps ps hope you all having an ok day today 🧡💛🧡

Have to stick my hand up here, I get the squiggly coloured lines moving in my peripheral vision & then the migraine follows. I'm usually headed to bed before the migraine starts & if i catch it early enough I can get away with a few hours of blinding & then i'm ok-ish

That’s a blooming good plan grumpygit I like your style 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back