Are migraines and headaches part of fibromyalgia? How many people with fibromyalgia get migraines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uhura

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
How many people with fibromyalgia have headaches or migraines? I am sensitive to light both because of epilepsy, probably because of fibromyalgia as well, and because of being on the autism spectrum so I don't really know what causes what.

How many people with fibromyalgia have headaches or migraines? I am sensitive to light both because of epilepsy, probably because of fibromyalgia as well, and because of being on the autism spectrum so I don't really know what causes what.
That's the thing about FM.........it is convoluted and involves many symptoms and often accompanies other diagnoses, and it's not really possible to come up with accurate causation between them. But in a way it really doesn't matter what causes what, the most important thing is to treat them in the best way you can, and using the absolute minimum of drugs to do so.

True, especially since I have been sensitive to light since before getting fibro. I just am someone who likes to lump things into categories and know 'this causes that' and 'that causes this'. Just my personality.

I get migraines with my FM. Sometimes I have them for 3 days even with medication. Sometimes if I over exert myself I then suffer the consequences.
If find hard getting a balance.

I suffered with migraines for years, some with auras, before I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Nothing worked, but people online recommended magnesium malate which I tried, have been using ever since and which totally resolved the migraines. I get an occasional headache with fibromyalgia, very rarely a bad one, but virtually no migraines. I take the magnesium twice a day, with breakfast and again with dinner.

I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia for nearly a year. Part of my diagnosis was migraines. I was advised by a neurologist that this was quite common. They can be real "bangers" or sneaky "quiet" ones. He advised me that if it didn't improve he would recommend putting me on daily medication for migraines. So it is well known by the medical profession, I was also advised to wear the darkest glasses i could find for photo-sensativity.

Do any of you get them for days at a time and then suddenly they stop and you don't have them for a while?

I just am someone who likes to lump things into categories and know 'this causes that' and 'that causes this'. Just my personality.
It's hard work, but I & my therapists have been pretty successful getting pains and more down by looking for triggers/causes. Sometimes you have to make do with just blind trying different treatment forms, like sunkacola says - and often that can then point to a cause etc.... e.g. GABA has definitely decreased my stiffness to 10-20%, which points to lack of serotonin? as a cause of heightened muscle tone (but not 'visible')? ... which helps look for further causes & treatments... which is an example for why I've built up a reference place of systematic lists of symptoms, causes & treatments, which I want to try to intertwine and hyperlink best sources to - "Just my personality" too - fun & helps me & praps others. ;-D

It seems my migraines have lessened or stopped for a while. But I also have eye problems so that causes other types of headaches at times, depending on what I am doing.
Oh well, enjoy the good days when they happen and enjoy the blessings in our lives. Blessings are there. Like having food, pets, and other things.

I started with migraine at 14, but do remember fatigue and pain issues cropping up around then. migraine was always my main complaint until they became chronic at around age 35 and the Fibro really peaked after that. My migraines are kind of under control now (I just always have migraine symptoms that will bloom into a full attack) with regular low doses of a balanced cbd/thc blend and my regular medications. Now my daughter has daily chronic migraine and Fibro at 18 and nothing is working for her. 😩

Oh so different we can all be. Nothing consistent except that we have fibromyalgia.

Nothing consistent except that we have fibromyalgia.
Which I'd add means we do have a great deal (of a pool of symptoms) in common :cool: , but you're right, it often fogs over the big varieties and differences in symptoms & effective treatments... I always wonder whether the researchers will ever be able to differentiate subgroups. But even if, I doubt that will make it easier, e.g. from what I've read up to now I doubt other people whom GABA helps have the same constellation as I do - and yet GABA (and I spose serotonin) is obviously a central problem for me because it's improved 10 symptoms at the same time...

I have weird head pain that does not follow the pattern of a migraine. So I'd say it's some kind of headache that does not respond to OTC meds and am grateful that I have a low dose of amitriptyline because now I can bend down without feeling like my head will explode from pain etc. It The pattern is like a bad shooting pain up the back of my head and at the top or it's like a terrible searing pressure/pain in the head that can be exacerbated with movement like bending down or moving around/going up the stairs. All of my tests (MRI, EEG, blood) checked fine except for a detected ANA titer and anti-ds DNA not high enough to suggest disease activity. Not sure what my future looks like for real treatment but amitriptyline will have to do for now.

@uhuru are fibromyalgia and autism connected ?i filled questionnaires in months ago and a got a reply from the integrated team and the more I’ve spoke to them the more it seems a possibility I may have autism I’m waiting for my proper diagnosis it’s been put on hold due to outbreak, but yes migraines are a part of it.

Does it start in your neck/shoulders? I have daily chronic migraine (which includes a wide range of headache type for me). Sometimes my headaches can originate in the tense muscles in my shoulders or knots along my shoulder blades. Muscle rubs like icy hot, tiger balm, sombra, etc can be helpful, as can locating muscle knots and massaging them with a ball. A TENS machine is great as well. Press around in those areas and see if muscle rub gives any temporary relief. Another thing I find helpful is Halls candy or a really strong gum pressed to the roof of my mouth. A lot of sensitive nerves there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back