Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2016
Country
US
State
Alaska
i have fibro/chronic pain/chronic fatigue that began in my neck, but recently its been hitting my hands and arms. b/c of my disabilities (the pain and fatigue + double depression and anxiety), i leave the house for little, and also stay home to care for my mother, who has RSD (another type of chronic pain).

my main hobbies are baking, gaming, and drawing, but recently my use of my right hand has been extremely painful and difficult. i have difficulty grasping things and using my fingers. just typing this is worsening the pain. i take zanaflex and tramadol for it, along with cymbalta and zoloft, and nothing seems to do the trick. im really frustrated because i dont enjoy doing much, and the things i enjoy doing are near impossible. im starting to feel like just laying in bed and crying all day :/ does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi! I normally have my worst pain in my legs or my upper back, but this weekend I had the same thing. It started in the hands.

I have times when my hands are in great pain. I found that laying them on a heating pad helps. Sometimes 800 Mg of Ibuprofin has helped.

my hands are always in pain,,also my feet,,,if I didn't sore feet I could walk better,,,,,please help

Hey MM, have you tried hot compresses ? When all else fails me, during a flare for example, a heated beanbag feels great on my sore bits. My wife has bad knees (one was replaced a year ago). She feels a little relief from heating gels/rubs e.g. A535.

Hope this helps.

DB

I suffer with hands to. I have trigger finger,most morning my middle finger is bent,and it really hurts.
What pain meds are you on sweetie.

I also have a great deal of pain in my hands. Trigger finger, carpal tunnel syndrome, etc, and sometimes one of my fingers or a thumb will just go stiff and won't bend for months at a time. The only thing that I have found that helps, if pain medications are not doing the job, is a hot wax thing. A friend gave it to me. It's a tub that you plug in like a crock pot and it heats up paraffin wax in a few minutes. You dip your hands into it and then put them into plastic bags and then in insulated mitts. It stays warm for several minutes and is very soothing; I find it gives me about a half hour to an hour of relief, and you can do it over and over, reusing the wax. Of course, while you are doing that you can't get anything else done with your hands, that's the only bad thing about it.

Hi everyone, In severe pain I used to have a pain killer and heating pads which provide some relief.

Hi, I'm also a gamer. Pain in your hands is really hard because almost everything you do involves your hands.

I always have pain in my hands, like a chemical burn but under the skin. It is a different feeling than the sharp pains that sometimes come and go. The more I use my hands, the worse the burning gets, but if I don't use my hands at all it will also get worse.

I figure I only have so many uses of my hands before the pain is too much, so I try to exercise a lot of choice about how I am going to use my hands. First priority is work. Next is my kids. I usually ask for help with things that are really painful that anyone could do (for example, wiping down a counter or table). But if I'm rolling dice for a game I do it myself :)

If typing hurts my hands too much, I use voice recognition software (it's a lot slower, but sometimes I really need it). You can also find softer keyboards that might be easier to use. I found one for work that you don't even have to touch - it's a grid of intersecting light beams. When you interrupt the light beams, it interprets that as a keystroke. It's made by a little company called Light IO.

I try to minimize the number of touches and amount of strength needed to do tasks.

At work I often have to wear nitrile or latex gloves. I always use glove liners now because it is so painful to get the plastic gloves off when they stick to my skin.

I often use compression gloves - you can find them at the store where they have the ace bandages for knees and elbows. The slight pressure seems to help calm the burning feeling.

Another things that helps is swimming. Moving around in a pool really soothes the burning feeling. The more I swim, the more it helps.

When I have sharp pains, I usually wait for a few hours and they stop.

I'm not sure if you are having the same kind of pain as me, but I hope this helps!

My hands hurt after using them for a few minutes at anytime. I've found sone relief using the plain aspercream. It also helps my neck and shoulders.

Pain in the neck, shoulders, and upper back is usually attributed to myofascial pain (which is caused from fibromyalgia). The reason I mention MP is because you can treat it differently, you can get trigger point injections that so far have helped me some. You may develop carpal tunnel due to either condition or on its own and worsened by both.

Heat is actually terrible for this type of pain. You should ice it. If you have a tens unit this also helps, an arthritis cream or I have one called Voltaren (presciption) helps. Aleve has proven the best pain reliever for most but advil can help as well. I use night braces on both hands and compression gloves during the day. Due hand exercises as well, you can google them and a stress ball is good for it as well. Of all the pain I suffer my neck, head, and hands are the worst. I wake up screaming from my hands hurting, and for some reason the pain in my hands and wrists do not respond to pain killers like tramadol or Vicodin it just persists through.

I would also recommend an ergonomic keyboard (MS Natural is very nice in my experience) and mouse. Anything that takes strain off your hands and wrists will go a long way in relieving pain.

Sounds like you have a lot of inflammation in your hands (among other things going on) is it pretty swollen when its painful? If so, have you tried taking a Tumeric supplement? Great for inflammation and sleep among a zillion other wonderful benefits. Also for inflammation Collagen is a great supplement for such a miserable symptom that we fibro patients have to deal with on a daily basis. Please consider some supplements. Also, lavendar oil put directly on your hands would help for pain, and relax the muscles and joints! Also, check in with your diet. What we put in our body turns into a direct result of what pain levels we get later. Sounds crazy, right? I take Cymbalta as well, and sometimes it just doesn't cut it, and these ideas i've suggested to you make my life enjoyable. We want you to get back to your drawing that you love! Keep us posted and feel better soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back