barometric pressure and flare-ups

Cindy Wood

I have a question, Does anybody else think that the barometric pressure in the air has anything to do with having flareups? I live in the midwest so we have a lot of barometric pressure here. I just started noticing that I am turning into a weather meter. Just food for thought.

Jemima

Very helpful member
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
11/2019
Country
PT
I have a question, Does anybody else think that the barometric pressure in the air has anything to do with having flareups? I live in the midwest so we have a lot of barometric pressure here. I just started noticing that I am turning into a weather meter. Just food for thought.
I have a friend with fibro who says the exact same thing! I think we all seem to react differently - a lot of people suffer more when it's damp or cold, but I seem to get battered by flares when the weather's really hot! Either way, I suspect there's something going on there.... There's also apparently a form of allodynia (which is also common among fibro sufferers in its various forms) that messes with temperature regulation. Ughh - this thing doesn't give us a break, does it!

sunkacola

Very helpful member
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
Uni
State
Somewhere
I think it can affect symptoms. I know that the weather certainly affects me, although I don't think it is the barometric pressure specifically. If I am outside in the cold and damp, though, I can turn into the rusted Tin Man!

nikkozoo

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
Uni
State
Pennsylvania
Yes, it definitely affects me.

Carolyn Rhodes

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
07/2017
Country
US
State
VA
Omg, YES! I suffer more when this happens here in VA and I find myself checking the weather.

chester0515

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
09/2019
Country
US
State
OH
YES! I also live in the Midwest and I've noticed this for years but now I know why. I also feel bad when it's super hot outside. I def have the temperature problem. Albeit, I thought it may be peri-menopause, it seems it's the Fibro. Wondering how many have moved to drier climates to avoid the flares. I would seriously consider it when my kids are grown. Best of luck this fall and winter. I always feel the worst during these months.

Cindy Wood

I am there with you I had a total hysterectomy when I was 35 and I thought it was hot flashes all these years and it wasn't its from my fibro, I kept wondering when they were going to end and now I know never I run hot all the time. Best of luck to you as well.

Thank you for replying 😁

JayCS

Very helpful member
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2020
Country
GE
Like has been said, weather changes are common FM-triggers, every fibromite will agree to a certain or large extent.
However despite it seeming as if we were at its mercy, I'd encourage first to make sure a flare isn't coming from something else (/too), and then to find ways to alleviate its effects using clothing, heat/cold-antidotes etc. - it may well be the accompanying weather changes like rain, wind or temperature, not the pressure itself.
Personally, I react strongest when exposed to wind or even draught, which I do actually need to avoid/prevent/reduce (but also try to harden myself), but not that much to temperature or pressure changes, at least not every time.
It irritates me when thinking loudly about a trigger for a flare when my brilliant acupressurist of all people starts referring to the weather, full moon or 'something in the atmosphere', using her feeling that "a lot of people are in a flare at the moment". In my experience I can identify, learn and do something the triggers of my flares to >90%. "Blaming the weather" is right for some, maybe unless that stops them from trying to do something about it, but it hems me from thinking about other possible triggers.
We are all different, including in that respect...

Last edited: